Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Useless words that people say

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Bobby42

Lets be havin' ya.

Always see this on facebook - Paris in two weeks, lets be having ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭dmcronin

I'm so hungry I'd eat a scabby babby out through the bars of a cot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I hate the word "solutions" added into every company name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

dmcronin wrote: »
    I'm so hungry I'd eat a scabby babby out through the bars of a cot.

im so hungry i'd ate the hind legs off a scabby horse

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

i love u lol a useless word

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Thepredator

Immense, savage and claaasss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Ohhh I fcuckin hate that too. Anytime I pop into PC world and glance sideways at hard drives I have a spotty teenage assistant sidling up beside me....

Him:...."Have you considered The Cloud?

Me: "No" (leave)

What I want to say: "NO, why the fcuk would I want to pay more to rent a less secure storage medium, unavailable when I'm offline" (beat him to death with a physical hard drive)
    "No, but have you pondered the pebbles?"

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭jmc1243

Can't stand people saying LOL and awks and totes, oh and mort, really can't stand that.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Carstuck

I hate when you ask someone a question and they say back 'I don't know' or 'maybe'. It drives me mad even by just thinking about it now...:mad:

Carstuck wrote: »
    I hate when you ask someone a question and they say back 'I don't know' or 'maybe'. It drives me mad even by just thinking about it now...:mad:

what is wrong with saying "i don't know" if they genuinely dont know the answer? it better than giving a half baked answered that is blatantly wrong

• Advertisement

what is wrong with saying "i don't know" if they genuinely dont know the answer? it better than giving a half baked answered that is blatantly wrong

People I ask usually do know or are fairly sure, like asking them are they going to town and they say 'I don't know' yet at the same time they're getting ready to go to town.

People I ask usually do know or are fairly sure, like asking them are they going to town and they say 'I don't know' yet at the same time they're getting ready to go to town.

maybe they just dont want you knowing their business

maybe they just dont want you knowing their business

Well they mustn't mind when they end up coming with me so... Anyway have you Nothingbetter2d? :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Eramen

"I don't mean to offend you but.."

It drives me up the wall (no matter what comes after it) !

Well they mustn't mind when they end up coming with me so... Anyway have you Nothingbetter2d? :D:D

pfft i hear the line "have you nothingbetter2d?" many times a day now :rolleyes:

most of the time no... but when i do then im not likely to be on boards then now would i?

pfft i hear the line "have you nothingbetter2d?" many times a day now :rolleyes:

most of the time no... but when i do then im not likely to be on boards then now would i?

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭plys

68Murph68 wrote: »
    REVERT
    Also there is a whole segment of the financial community who don't know how to use revert properly in emails.

I've spoken to friends who work in and around the IFSC and there are a whole host of people who use it incorrectly. Some people seem to use it in the exact same manner as reply, which leads to nonsense. We believe that people who don't understand the correct usage started using it to some more professional. Ironic that is ends up showing them up.

^^^

This...

"...revert back.." ...Why Back?? you idiot! :mad:

And you can highlight the error all you want, they just won't use the verb correctly because it doesn't 'sound right'..

Another similar term is myriad.
    People seem to always want to use the word 'of' after the word 'myriad'... It's just wrong. Stop it.

Another one the missus is ALWAYS at, does my nut in...
    "..used of.."... ie trying to say "...used to.." but getting it completely wrong.
    It's fine when she speaks quickly, it is not very obvious. But when she speaks slowly, it is torture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭blinkey 101

If your granny had balls she'd be your grandad .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

"Please advise" annoys me.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

"to be honest with you"

You mean you've been lying all this time? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

No offence. Then why do you say it in the first place

"Essentially"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

FML #No offence but peeps on this interwebz need to chillax.com ..like

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭lisaj

If your granny had balls she'd be your grandad .

Haha, I use a similar one at home "If my Auntie had a mickey she'd be me uncle"... I use it as a reply when someone comes out with some ridiculous statement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

No sleeps to the weekend
    Three sleeps to my holidays

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭lisaj

mikemac1 wrote: »
    No sleeps to the weekend
    Three sleeps to my holidays

Is this a statement to make us jealous? Or more likely that you don't like when people use "sleeps" to describe how long it is until some sort of enjoyable event.

I know someone who has a constant app on their phone telling them how many sleeps it is until Christmas. Used all year 'round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

OMG!! ROFLMFAO......lol! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

lisaj wrote: »
    Is this a statement to make us jealous? Or more likely that you don't like when people use "sleeps" to describe how long it is until some sort of enjoyable event.

See the thread title ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Sided

wilkie2006 wrote: »

I'm not so keen on words like "cookie", "fries", "mall", or "store" (as in "shop") either. Why do we need Americanisms in Ireland? Our words are much better! ;)

Grrrrrr!!!

Just curious, but if you went to America.. Would you start saying 'cookie', 'fries', 'mall' and 'store'?

If people go away, it becomes almost natural to say these things. I know a guy who knows exactly what I mean when I say, 'pop', 'chips', etc.

It's not that I'm saying you need to change the way you speak, by all means. When I'm speaking to an Irish person or someone from here, I try to make the effort to use the words for the things in the Irish way.. but it sometimes just comes to habbit to say 'chips' when you want crisps or I'm going to the store instead of the 'shop'.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

atari jaguar

Advertisement