Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2013; Eat my dust Meno!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    Yeah id say somewhere around 8.15 at the moment.

Em… let's not lose the run of ourselves just yet!

Tuesday 17th January
    5.13 @ 9:45
    Nice and handy recovery into work this morning. Much needed. Legs feel a fair bit fresher now than they did at 6.30 this morning. Same again this evening on the way home to make sure I treat what I did over the weekend with a bit of respect!

This is running in the dark the whole time is getting a bit old… I can cope with the cold but I'm done with the maximum of 3 hours daylight! I actually cannot wait until the clock goes forward and it's bright in the mornings and evenings. It makes such a difference! I need to say ta-ra to the winter blues!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭RubyK

There's great dedication on this log! Keep up the brill work :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

claralara wrote: »

This is running in the dark the whole time is getting a bit old… I can cope with the cold but I'm done with the maximum of 3 hours daylight! I actually cannot wait until the clock goes forward and it's bright in the mornings and evenings. It makes such a difference! I need to say ta-ra to the winter blues!!

Yeah, same here, totally sick of running in the dark at this stage. I just never feel comfortable. I actually look forward to the long runs at the weekend to be abel to run in Daylight :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

I actually cannot wait until the clock goes forward and it's bright in the mornings and evenings. It makes such a difference! I need to say ta-ra to the winter blues!!

The last time the clocks went forward look what happened to you! :eek:

Mr Slow wrote: »
    The last time the clocks went forward look what happened to you! :eek:

I partied all night, nearly missed the train, ran a 10 mile race, nearly missed the train, got drunk on the train, was informed that I have a crooked nose, watched a Norrie in action with a couple of German swingers and made a man friend… Not bad for a day's work. I wonder what this year will bring??!! :rolleyes::D

• Advertisement

I have to run home from work in a couple of hours but this feckin stitch is still hanging on. Went for a brisk-ish walk to the shops at lunchtime and it kicked in and hasn't gone away....aaargh!!

In other news, today I bought green tea bags and actually had a cup...what's happening to me?! I need chocolate! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

I have to run home from work in a couple of hours but this feckin stitch is still hanging on. Went for a brisk-ish walk to the shops at lunchtime and it kicked in and hasn't gone away....aaargh!!

Its hardly your appendix by any chance...??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

belcarra wrote: »

Its hardly your appendix by any chance...??

She did crunches for the first time since her confirmation a couple of weeks ago and has had the stich since!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭chinguetti

I partied all night, nearly missed the train, ran a 10 mile race, nearly missed the train, got drunk on the train, was informed that I have a crooked nose, watched a Norrie in action with a couple of German swingers and made a man friend :rolleyes::D

A regular weekend in the life of Claralara. When are they making the tv programme?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

digger2d2 wrote: »
    She did crunches for the first time since her confirmation a couple of weeks ago and has had the stich since!

That's why no one should do that stupid exercise.

• Advertisement

I partied all night, nearly missed the train, ran a 10 mile race, nearly missed the train, got drunk on the train, was informed that I have a crooked nose, watched a Norrie in action with a couple of German swingers and made a man friend… Not bad for a day's work. I wonder what this year will bring??!! :rolleyes::D

Let's hope it's more exciting!:D

Mr Slow wrote: »

Let's hope it's more exciting!:D

She wisely counts herself very fortunate that she didn't miss that train ;)

Tuesday 17th January
    AM 5.13 @ 9:45
    PM 5.35 @ 8:49

Wednesday 18th January
    AM 8 @ 9:15

Thursday 19th January
    AM 1.2 @ 9:41
    AM 0.65 @ 9:12

As you can see - today was an almighty fail, which I will explain in due course. I was not looking forward to Tuesday evening's run as mentioned on here before I did it. The pain in my upper right abdomen had been at me since a walk at lunchtime. However, the run home ended up being ok. I was listening to music (which I rarely do these days) and my pace was a little quicker than planned. It was a good rhythm though and I had my core fairly tensed (almost as if I was expecting someone to wind me!) which kept the pain at bay. However, for the evening and during the night, the area was aching - it didn’t keep me awake but anytime I did wake, I could feel it. Got up to run to work yesterday morning and could feel it as soon as I walked down the path while I was waiting for my Garmin. Headed off and had to stop after half a mile or so and again after another mile to take a few deep breaths. The pace up to that point had been recovery of about 10:10. When I started off again, I upped it a bit while tensing my core and clenching my teeth. Once the muscles warmed up and I got into the quicker rhythm again, it eased off. I decided that seeing as I had the time I'd stick with it as I expected that the pain wouldn’t be gone by today - stupid I know. It was alright when I was finished running but then again at lunchtime and after work, it was sore walking. Then this morning I (really) stupidly tried to brave it again. Got 1.2 miles down the road and decided enough was enough and hopped on the bus (I had brought emergency money solely in expecation of this). Then when I got off the bus I decided I might as well run up as far as the office, as it was more painful to walk/run slowly.

Belcarra, if it was my appendix, I'd say I'd know all about it by now, so I doubt it's that. As Digger said, the only thing I did differently in the last 12 months was a heap of crunches the night before the first one got me. That was about 2 weeks ago - it happened during a run the following day, lingered for a couple of days, went away and then came back with a vengeance last Saturday (though it was pretty mild on the Sunday). I don't know… most likely it's a muscle strain that I've just exacerbated, which is now possibly a little inflamed. It's even a little bruised where I was digging my fingers into it this morning. Whoops :o

I'm a bit devastated about the thoughts of missing a long run at the weekend. That cannot happen. It just can't. :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I'm a bit devastated about the thoughts of missing a long run at the weekend. That cannot happen. It just can't. :(:(

One weekend off is not going to make a difference (although digger might pass you on the 1000 mile challenge :)) but running through pain for another week is just going to **** you up. Take a break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

RayCun wrote: »
    One weekend off is not going to make a difference (although digger might pass you on the 1000 mile challenge :)) but running through pain for another week is just going to **** you up. Take a break.

+1 but see a physio as well as take a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

Sorry to hear about that claralara. I personally think crunches are evil for the body but I know others will disagree.

Just a thought...Is the pain worse on your mid week runs than the wkd? We were chatting the other day about the whole schoolbag thing and I noticed when i ran home on Monday with mine I got an almighty stitch which i never ever get. With the schoolbag you have a tendancy to be more stooped and hence cut off circulation to the intercostal muscles, you shallow breath and hence the stitch. Maybe I'm way off the mark but it might be causing discomfort that is already there from crunch damage.

+1 on physio/PT - get it sorted now while you are in the early wks of training.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Ooooh sounds painful :( One missed long run won't ruin your plan - take it easy and get it checked out, pronto.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Ignoring this will only compound it and prolong your situation. Definitely consult a professional and follow their wise advice so you can get back in full swing sooner than later. Missing your run this weekend won't hurt you, but putting this off could. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

I'm with the others on this. One missed Lsr isn't the end of the world. You are doing some share of mileage and you need to get this problem sorted so you can get back to business.
    Look after yourself. I love how we all give each other sensible advice, but never follow it when we have injuries or niggles ourselves!

jcsmum wrote: »
    I'm with the others on this. One missed Lsr isn't the end of the world. You are doing some share of mileage and you need to get this problem sorted so you can get back to business.
    Look after yourself. I love how we all give each other sensible advice, but never follow it when we have injuries or niggles ourselves!

She said she's not eating chocolate whilst she can't run...It's gas, she's sitting here beside me with a box of Roses on the table in front of her... I wonder how long she'll hold off before diving in :D

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice guys, duly noted. Didn't do anything else yesterday. Not running today. Appointment with physical therapist tomorrow morning and will rest and see how that goes. Already feeling a bit better. Hopefully another 24 hours TLC will do the trick. I hate resting.

@sunflowerRo - good point about the backpack and I'd be inclined to agree that it didn't help. Obviously I've been running with a backpack for a few months with no problems but I'd say it's definitely aggravating whatever damage I've done. Hoping to get out on Sunday so that'll be fine and then I might run sans bag for the week after that, to give the mid region a break from the pressure.

Probably was the crunches all right. I remember doing a core/circuit session with the club once last year, and I could still feel it a week later, every time I raised my arms over my head...

I told you that I suspect costochondritis, if I'm right(hopefully I'm not) just prepare yourself to be told to rest.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭RubyK

Sorry to read about your injury, you must be freaked out :( Hopefully a short rest and a bit of physio will see you back on track. A bit of a rest this week will do you no harm at all with all the super milage you have been doing. Bet you'll be back in flying form in no time. Keep the chin up ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

+1. Rest up and get well. I'm sure you'll be back pounding the miles in no time :D

So for once in my short life, I took the advice that I knew I would have doled out to a fellow runner boasting the complaints that I had last week. Thursday’s disastrous run left me more than a little bit peeved. I knew I needed to rest but secretly considered running again on Friday ‘just to see’. However, common sense ultimately prevailed and I decided to take Friday off, and make an appointment with the PT. Saw the man on Saturday morning when I should have been 6 miles into my planned 20 mile run. That was mildly upsetting. So he poked and prodded in between, and under, my ribs to try and release the knots and tension that had built up in the muscles around my diaphragm. This is the cause of the pain and not a cracked rib which I had been a little worried about. Then he put me through some more pain by sticking his fingers in between the ribs on my back to release knots that had formed in my thoracic something or other – a secondary problem as a result of compensating and tensing my back to ease the stitch-y pain. And then to top off 70 minutes of prodding, he cracked each and every one of the ribs in my back – left and right – which apparently released a build-up of carbon dioxide. Pleasant it was not. However, it was worth it to hear that I only had to rest for the remainder of Saturday, and got the go ahead to run on Sunday. He asked what my plan had been; when he heard 20, he said I could try 10-12 on Sunday. Have to go back again on Thursday for more of the same and that should leave me good for the time-being. The general prognosis is tight upper ab muscles and something to do with the diapragham so have a couple of stretches and just have to warm up with some proper breathing techniques etc. Also got a few tips on coping with it if it arises while running (which I’ve successfully put into practice).

Friday 20th January
    Rest

Saturday 21st January
    PT / Rest

Sunday 22nd January
    13.15 @ 7:55 :D
    So…apparently this resting malark can be very beneficial. I was absolutely dying to get out for a run by yesterday evening. I had three and a half disciplined days off under my belt – disciplined ‘resting-wise’ anyway. I did go for a few drinks after work on Friday as Saturday’s early LSR was off the cards. And then I drowned my sorrows in a full bottle of red and a tonne of chocolate on Saturday night. However, it appears that chocolate and wine may actually be my secret weapons… The culmination of all of this was probably the best run I’ve ever had (except maybe DCM). Did a 13 mile loop from Terenure, up to Churchtown, down under Luas bridge, up Taney Hill, back down to Dundrum SC, up to Ballinteer, along by Marlay to the top of the Grange Road, down Talyor’s lane and back to Terenure via Knocklyon – so a nice undulating (an intelligent person might say) run.. I pressed start on the Garmin and then switched it to the normal time screen. I didn’t want to be checking pace the whole time and just wanted to enjoy a run by feel to ease back in. I knew I was tipping away a little faster than I would have planned but it felt great. Didn’t realise the extent of what I was doing until the stitch hit at 7.78 miles. I was at traffic lights and got a bit of a fright and a bit annoyed. Took a few deep breaths and looked at the watch which was showing an average pace of 8:06 – that gave me a ‘whoops’ feeling so I decided to pull it back and fix me stitch! Shortened my stride and got into a good footfall/breathing rhythm. The pain was gone within 50 metres. However, the shortened stride actually made me go faster which I didn’t realise until I checked the pace at 10 miles and saw that I had just run an unofficial 10 mile PB by about 9 minutes… and it felt like the easiest thing in the world. I was totally grand. At that point I got half marathon distance into my head and decided I wanted to stretch my run to that and see what I could do. Got home in 1:44.xx – an unofficial HM PB by about 14 minutes!! And I felt great. Could have kept going for miles (well maybe not at that pace but definitely at a decent pace). Legs felt heavy (in a really good way!) as I recovered on the couch with a belly full of roast chicken and potatoes and a glass of wine – thanks Chef ;) Handy week now before the Raheny 5 – first race since DCM…yikes. I’m nervous but looking forward to it. :eek::D

Great run, especially on that route. I reckon you'll be taking a few scalps in Raheny :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Great run on Sunday, fantastic time especially with the Tayney Hill, I now hate you! :(

Though "what goes up, must come down". So it was a little cheater-y… because what goes up in Connemara, ain't coming down!! The joys of running a loop where you have to end up back at the same spot that you started from ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Though "what goes up, must come down". So it was a little cheater-y… because what goes up in Connemara, ain't coming down!!

As far as I know, the Half, Full and Ultra all have equal ascending and descending :D

Advertisement