Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2013; Eat my dust Meno!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Mulberry

claralara wrote: »

Don't think about what you didn't achieve over the summer, write down what you did - if you planned 3 races and only did 1 - look at it as having done 1 more than zero. Sign up for something and make a plan. Run alone and enjoy the down time (if it's safe to do so). If you enjoy it, just get out and do it. If you don't enjoy it, find something that you do! For every reason not to train, there are a million reasons to train! So Mulberry....what's the goal?!

Thanks for this!

Organisation is really important for me - I was good at this with DCM last year but have completely gotten out of the habit so this is a timely reminder. And a Plan is good for keeping me focussed so I'm now thinking of following a 6 week plan for the Clontarf Half in November.

That's after the Half in the Park tomorrow morning!

Better get my beauty / running sleep.

Thanks again
    Mulberry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Seeing as claralara has been so busy with work, training and eating everything that's made of chocolate prior to her clean October or as we are referring to it ''NOKTOBERFEST'' I decided to let you all know that she's still alive. Training is going well and she's now entering those few final weeks of disease avoidance that are pretty much hell on earth for me.....

This is now us getting ready for bed......:D

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSl4FsL8b8jVtJt87OOSK11E7YxulOzxOVtnq52uwSywO-AEWyf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Helllooooo...*blows cobwebs away*

Jeepers lads, I'm a veritable logging DISGRACE this marathon around. I suspect over the past few years, many of you have wished for the keyboard to be removed from beneath my waffling fingers but this takes the biscuit. I'm barely managing to keep my own paper (yes paper!! :eek:) training log up to date. I've had such a busy busy few months and basically when I'm not working, I'm either eating, running or sleeping!

Training has been going well and I'm feeling strong and relatively confident. Weekly mileage has been around 60 miles (a little more or a little less depending on races, long runs, step back weeks etc). Highest week (the one before last) tipped the scale at just over 70 and it was a very good week. Last week I hit about 65 and it was the toughest mentally and physically (I bailed out of my session on Thursday - first bail in about 12 weeks:() but ended very well with a 20 mile run in Kilcock on Sunday which included a big nerve-wracking PMP test. Was absolutely delighted to pull 16@6:46 out of the bag on a tough course (with a little help from ecoli). It was just the confidence boost I needed. Where I had started to doubt myself, I'm now getting very excited.

Looking forward to giving the legs a good blow-out at the Donadea 10K in the morning. Then the last long run on Monday or Tuesday evening and we're well and truly on the home straight.

Sitting here between Diggy stuffing his face with Guinness and goodies, and my brother who has the most delicious looking ice-cold beer in his hand, and it's the first time in NOktoberfest that I've missed my vino... BUT I'll stay strong! There's a big goal and achievement at the end of the tunnel (that plus the fund I've been putting away - €5 for every clean day - and I already have the winter boots picked out... I can almost smell the leather!) :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Don't forget: €10 a minute. Do it for the babies ;)

menoscemo wrote: »
    Don't forget: €10 a minute. Do it for the babies ;)

You might have to re-mortgage!! ;)

• Advertisement

14 sleeps to go!!

The madness is in full swing. I am so excited. And so nervous. And a little bit confident. And totally sh1tt1ng myself. I awoke in the middle of the night with a phantom pain in my right foot. And today I self diagnosed a broken pelvis. So, it's all going the right direction I suppose :confused::D

Had a decent run in Donadea on Saturday running a PB of 39:23. I ran pretty hard but constantly had the A goal in the back of my mind, and I have no doubt that held me back a little. It was a technical enough little course scattered with some death defying conkers; absolutely terrifying (almost up there with snotty nosed tots and retractable dog leads!!) I'm also not in a 10k place mentally or physically. It takes practice to get yourself into the zone of acceptable 10k pain and that doesn't marry well with being on track at the end of a marathon training cycle (not for me in all in anyways!)

It was a decent blowout for the legs and I recovered nicely. Yesterday's run was an absolute doddle - I ran it by feel and only realised when I got home that the pace was about 30-40 seconds faster than my recovery runs have been recently.

Final long run in the morning and that will be pretty much my lot, apart from a sprinkling of short fast sharpeners before the big day.

The count down to McGrattans is ON!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

14 sleeps to go!!

The madness is in full swing. I am so excited. And so nervous. And a little bit confident. And totally sh1tt1ng myself. I awoke in the middle of the night with a phantom pain in my right foot. And today I self diagnosed a broken pelvis. So, it's all going the right direction I suppose :confused::D
    :D

That's a fantastic 10k time - well done!

I woke up the other night and thought 'My ankle - oh no, it hurts so much!' Then i realised it was the other one, not the sprained one, that was hurting, so I told myself I was imagining it and went back to sleep! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

When I see your race times, (all of them!) it really just blows me away. The consistency of your performances is just amazing. Can't wait to see how much under the 3 hours you'll go!

jcsmum wrote: »
    Can't wait to see how much under the 3 hours you'll go!

I reckon 20 minutes by 2018.....

The above statement is a personal opinion and hasn't as yet been endorsed by the training regulator TRR or the authority on all things south of the border frothy the snowman ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

When I see your race times, (all of them!) it really just blows me away. The consistency of your performances is just amazing. Can't wait to see how much under the 3 hours you'll go!
    +1

For the love of God CL, if you do nothing else please beat Gavlor in Dublin. Trip him, spit at him.....whatever it takes. Do it for the the girls ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭Gavlor

+1

For the love of God CL, if you do nothing else please beat Gavlor in Dublin. Trip him, spit at him.....whatever it takes. Do it for the the girls ;)

Haha, can't we all just get along?! I'm too hungover for this

Gavlor wrote: »
    Haha, can't we all just get along?! I'm too hungover for this

So as my alarm was going off at 5:28am to get me up for my final LSR you were on your way home from the boozer?! Charming behaviour! Or are you one of those "i literally haven't opened a book - Im so screwed for this exam" type of bugger?! ;)

So... Last long run done and done! 18 miles under the belt by 8:15am. A hot shower and a huge brekkie set me up for a great day's work. Legs were spent by the end of the run but i felt good otherwise. Was pleasantly surprised at the high energy levels all day :)

Looking forward to an evening on the couch :) Just realised that i will most likely fund the exchequer for at least 6 months immediately after DCM that with this 50c hike on a bottle of my beloved vino :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭Gavlor

So as my alarm was going off at 5:28am to get me up for my final LSR you were on your way home from the boozer?! Charming behaviour! Or are you one of those "i literally haven't opened a book - Im so screwed for this exam" type of bugger?! ;)

No, no..... I was in by 3.30am on Monday morning, this morning was a much more reasonable hour.

Stupid county final!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Looking forward to an evening on the couch :) Just realised that i will most likely fund the exchequer for at least 6 months immediately after DCM that with this 50c hike on a bottle of my beloved vino :(:(

You'll just have to start drinking pints of wine ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

digger2d2 wrote: »
    I reckon 20 minutes by 2018.....

There is the very real possibility that the title of this log could be changed to "2018; Eat my dust TRR"

If that day ever comes I will be retiring gracefully from road racing. The stick (mostly deserved) I would have to take would be too much. Or ..... I suppose I could just do what meno is doing in 2013, and avoid any of claralara's goal races :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

TRR wrote: »
    There is the very real possibility that the title of this log could be changed to "2018; Eat my dust TRR"

If that day ever comes I will be retiring gracefully from road racing. The stick (mostly deserved) I would have to take would be too much. Or ..... I suppose I could just do what meno is doing in 2013, and avoid any of claralara's goal races :pac:

Ah but just think by 2018 your age grading will be huge. You will have at least an hour head start :pac:

The girl who sits opposite me in work went for her first run ever last night (she said she was sick of listening to me and had to see what the fuss was about...). One extendable dog-lead incident later and see ends up in A&E with a confirmed broken elbow!! All i can say Holy Flying Flute (!!) I am not leaving the house until Monday!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

The girl who sits opposite me in work went for her first run ever last night (she said she was sick of listening to me and had to see what the fuss was about...). One extendable dog-lead incident later and see ends up in A&E with a confirmed broken elbow!! All i can say Holy Flying Flute (!!) I am not leaving the house until Monday!!!

Wow! Poor thing! Those things are hard enough to see in daylight, but they're totally invisible in poor (or no) light. I really wish they were just banned... but try telling the doggie brigade that?! :confused: Even the rational ones don't see the issue.
    Stay safe missus.
    See you Monday - keep me a chair in the pub? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

A sacrifice offered up to the running gods to ensure good racing weather on Monday?

DOUGLAS!!

• Advertisement

Ugh just lost my lengthy rambling taper ponderings.... i HATE mobile devices!!! Bring back thr PC!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Itziger

Good luck on Monday. I'll be looking forward to your report as I like to think we're very close in terms of ability. I'm (still) just ahead of you in 10k and Half but you're already past me in the marathon and you've got age on your side. You're going for sub 3, right?

I believe weather forecast is less than ideal. Best of luck anyway and I'm sure it's only a matter of time before you shatter the 3 hour barrier.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭RubyK

Roll on Monday claralara, getting that sub3 and a new pb :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Best of luck. Hope the wind stays away

Itziger wrote: »
    Good luck on Monday. I'll be looking forward to your report as I like to think we're very close in terms of ability. I'm (still) just ahead of you in 10k and Half but you're already past me in the marathon and you've got age on your side. You're going for sub 3, right?

I believe weather forecast is less than ideal. Best of luck anyway and I'm sure it's only a matter of time before you shatter the 3 hour barrier.

Weather forecast is certainly less than ideal... it's not what i need in my current manic state :(

I'm a mess..a bag of nerves and excitement. was dreading yesterday's run of 5 w/3@MP but was delighted when it went ok. MP felt familiar and comfortable...like like being curled up on the couch with a glass of red and sharing bar of dairy milk :) It calmed me a little after what had been a day of psychotic hyperactivity... unfortunately the calm didn't last too long!!

It's in the hands of the weather / sleep / nutrition / any and every other Gods at thus stag

* this stage

For the purposes of my own sanity this weekend I just found this forecast for *Dublin on Monday.....

Mon Oct 28
    sunny.png
    Mostly Clear
    High
    55°F
    Low
    39°F

Sunrise: 7:56 amSunset: 6:36 pmWind: mild Precipitation
    Day: 0% | Night: 0%

*Dublin, Ohio.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭Duanington

digger2d2 wrote: »
    For the purposes of my own sanity this weekend I just found this forecast for *Dublin on Monday.....

Mon Oct 28
    sunny.png
    Mostly Clear
    High
    55°F
    Low
    39°F

Sunrise: 7:56 amSunset: 6:36 pmWind: mild Precipitation
    Day: 0% | Night: 0%

*Dublin, Ohio.

I fell for it :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Best of luck on Monday CL. You've come such a long way I'm such a short time. Hope you get everything your dedication deserves

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Best of luck CL, no pressure, nail it!

Advertisement