Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

anyone applying for work in germany ?

• 22-05-2009 2:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

apart from Ireland being a dump and there being fcuk all work, has anyone looked into Germany.. pity the language is impossible..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

did adidas teach you nothing? impossible is nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

apart from Ireland being a dump and there being fcuk all work, has anyone looked into Germany.. pity the language is impossible..

German is fairly easy, and alot of them speak English anyway!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

They do but any jobs I want such as Engineering, you would need pretty much fluent German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭markopantelic

yeah that actually sucks for ireland really, if you're from netherlands they can basically work anywhere they are so good at all languages, i said it before and i'll say it again but we really should be learning another language on top of English from primary school. I took French afterschool since Primary but it wasn't thought daily.

Irish can be the fun language, not taken too seriously, this is how it will become more used.

how about get learning now, you'd be suprised how quick you pick it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

My GF is asian and she speak German but she has been there 13years.

Our Education system is ****ed, like our country...!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Pete P Peterson

Well at least you've got the right attitude - complain your way out of it. Always works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

.. pity the language is impossible..

You have more of a chance of learning German from scratch than Spanish, French etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Jigsaw

Germany is an awesome country. If it wasn't for family ties etc I'd be off there like a f*cking shot. Those German know how to live.

ah its grand, its not that good though. i mean for me an awesome country would be spain because of the weather, much of germany is far too cold for too long in the year to be described as awesome at least imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Why would you suggest Germany OP?

Don't know about the rest of Germany, but Berlin has a higher unemployment rate than our worst predicted rate for next year. And has done so since reunification.

And you need German for practically every job over there. Yes most Germans are good at English, but in the workplace, it's all German. As it should be.

• Advertisement

kraggy wrote: »

Don't know about the rest of Germany, but Berlin has a higher unemployment rate than our worst predicted rate for next year. And has done so since reunification.

And you need German for practically every job over there. Yes most Germans are good at English, but in the workplace, it's all German. As it should be.

:rolleyes:

The OP is going to work for an ethical ethnic cleansing firm. Duh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭ Warren Famous Designer

Gazza22 wrote: »
    The OP is going to work for an ethical cleansing firm. Duh

Those ethics seriously need cleansing over there. Man, don't get me started on them ethics...

Those ethics seriously need cleansing over there. Man, don't get me started on them ethics...

Damn you FRADA! DAMN YOU TO HELL!

:o

kraggy wrote: »

ha yeah berlin is a bit of a basket case, its more for artists and immigrants than anything else. i'd love to live there though, but more grow up there, not really interested in moving now.

thing is there are jobs are all over europe(and ireland) atm, and none of the positions filled in certain areas, did ya know only 2% of eu citizens work outside their own country. simplely mind blowing stuff!!! wonder what the figure was before 2004?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭ Warren Famous Designer

Damn you FRADA! DAMN YOU TO HELL!

HAW HAW!!!

ouch i just realised it's bright out....

/off to bed

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Deutsch ist nicht so schwierig!!! I had a German missus for a few years so I learned it as thought i might end up living there some day but I found it easier than Spanish anyway, which I'm learning now. Get yourself the Pimsleur course und bald wirst du deutsch sprechen!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Warum denkst Sie dass Deutsch ist so schwer?

German isn't the worst language to learn. Once you get over the fact that they have 36 words for 'the'..........

I fooking love Germany. It's a great place to live and most German people are surprisingly friendly and helpful.

Maybe not surprisingly - we're condidtioned by bristish TV into thinking they're a sober, humourless bunch.

I should start looking for work there myself....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭Redrocket

have been looking for work there for the past 2/3months (english speaking job only though so not much luck) might have to go down in wages or be less picky for a job now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

You have more of a chance of learning German from scratch than Spanish, French etc

I highly disagree with that. Spanish and French are incredibly easy languages to learn. They're quite similar to English other than genderization of everything. German is just a whole other world entirely; their grammatical structure hasn't "grown up," per se. It seems to be stuck in the 1700's and it can be a bit of a head wreck. I can't even imagine what old German is like if today's German is that.. strange.

Plus, native english speakers tend to have trouble with the creating the sounds properly, like their version of "ch" compared to our "sh," and in words ending with "en" sounding sort of like a hum, or just the closing of your mouth on the n. Stunted. It's weird.

Spanish is definitely one of the easiest languages in the world to learn. I grew up learning French (mandatory in Canada) but I know people who found it incredibly easy to learn later on in life. Then again, I learned Quebec french instead of France french, but other than colloquial differences they're pretty much the same.

I know all three languages, and German was definitely the toughest. Plan to learn Dutch next, should be fun.

• Advertisement

well maybe it varies from person to person, but German is way easier than Spanish in my opinion. Have no probs with Gerry pronunciation either, maybe because I went to a gaelscoil and we already do all those chhhs and khhhs and what not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I'm living here for nearly 2 years. I've picked up a bit of the language purely by listening to sentence structures. You'll be surprised how similar it is to English. I've found my English is suffering though because when I do talk English its with Germans that don't have very good grammer etc.

Its a bit of a culture shock though. Germans, especially in the bit cities can be quite annoying. They have issues with personal space in general and a lot of the time are surly and rude.

Outside the cities though its a different story. The summer is here now after 4 or 5 months of snow and its getting pretty nice out. We had 29 celcius in Munich yesterday and it was a little cloudy.

Come over for a year , if you don't like it you can always go home to Ireland :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,973 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    well maybe it varies from person to person, but German is way easier than Spanish in my opinion. Have no probs with Gerry pronunciation either, maybe because I went to a gaelscoil and we already do all those chhhs and khhhs and what not.

My brother's not that bad at pronouncing stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

http://www.language-learning-advisor.com/easiest-language-to-learn-survey.html

By far the easiest language to learn chosen by visitors (of the choices that were presented) was Spanish by a three to one margin over French. Italian (which had been at the bottom) is now a fairly strong third. German and Dutch follow up.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Which-Is-The-Easiest-Language-To-Learn?-Rating-The-14-Most-Popular-Course-Offerings&id=656519
    The 14 most popular courses according to a combination of linguistic ease and accessibility.
    1. Spanish. Category One. The straightforward grammar is familiar and regular. It is also ubiquitous in the Americas, the only foreign language with a major presence in the insular linguistic environment of the U.S. Chances to speak and hear it abound. It is the overwhelming favorite, accounting for more than fifty percent of language study enrollment in the MLA study.

Though, maybe Irish is closer in grammatical structure to German making it easier to learn for people here, and perhaps the accent makes it easier, I'm not sure. Spanish, though, is very widely considered to be the easiest language to learn, especially in North America.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭marko91

i learnt german from 1st year to 3rd year and i honestly knew wayyyyy more german in them 3 years than i knew irish in my 18 years or learning it....i think that says alot:rolleyes:

it depends on your own motivation too though, I was motivated by the fact I was humping a gorgeous German girl while learning that language, now i'm obsessed with south america after being there so Spanish is coming along nicely too

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

German is quite an easy language. If you were to rate it out of 10 and use Irish as a comparison, I would give Irish a 9 and German a 4. Great country to live in, things just work here, health, transport, broadband, etc. Germans are a good laugh, different sense of humour to the Irish, they are not loutish and you won't see them falling over fighting and puking on the street on the weekends. But if you don't like taxes then stay away, if you think it's bad in Ireland even after all the increases then you will be in for a serious eye opener here. I would have €800 extra in my pocket per month if I was in Ireland under the next tax changes brought in last month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Show some initiative. Running away to Germany is not a final solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

stovelid wrote: »
    Show some initiative. Running away to Germany is not a final solution.

I see what you did there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

DrumSteve wrote: »
    I see what you did there.

Link to a shit image? Fortunately not.

Advertisement