Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How far would you go to defend yourself & your home?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Obsidian

I would have no qaulms about doing anything to protect my family, whether it means losing my freedom or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭winston82

Touch my stuff and its 'say hello to my little friend' (9-iron that is)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭omyatari

hard to say untill you find yourself in such a posittion,
    but i have quite a strong sence of survival, so at least a few people will get badly hurt.

just hoping it wont be me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,059 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Well I have a CCTV system outside as well as a silent alarm. Even if I slept through the entire fiasco I'm fairly certain that the perps would be caught.

If I woke up, I'd split them with a hurley

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭RaverRo808

If you broke into my home,and attempted to steal from me,threatening my family,I wouldnt just kill,it be a bitta torture first,a nice hard death

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Ive got
    a 50 kilo rotwiler crossed with a boxer... If they brake in I think il be protecting them allso have a cricket bat in my room amongst other bits and peace's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I'd cower in the bathroom and offer them dibs on the wife and kid if they left my laptop and CDs alone. I'm sure we could reach some compromise.

I wouldnt think twice about causing as much injury as possible to anybody who tried to break into my house and steal stuff/harm other family members. That would include use of a shot gun! Scum deserve what ever they get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

I would do whatever necessary, and go as far as was required to ensure the safety and well being of my family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭LouOB

I have been woken up before with a weird bang
    Grabbed my tennis racket and ran about the house like a woman posessed (sp) in manky t-shirt and knickers with bed hair. Not a pretty sight for anyone.
    After checking whole house and each room/window no one, my adrendalin was up and ready for anything. It was the air vent that fell off wall into the bath that caused the bang.
    I live to fight scum another day

Alternatively, I have bolt lock on bedroom door. If someone did break in and I was on my own. Bolt door, got into ensuite and call the cops.
    Paramoid! moi!?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭WillieCocker

Mace & an extendable wheel brace can go a long way to destroying an intruders enjoyment when urinating.
    I have previous experience with causing this.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭builttospill

I'd grab the shotgun and tip toe into the spare bedroom where the wife sleeps. Naturally I'd scare the sheeite out of her so once I've achieved that I'd jump into the bed beside her and bite hard on the duvet while giving a fearful running commentary as to what the burglar is doing. At this stage the burglar will be coming up the stairs. I turn to my terrified wife and say to her "It's you he wants. Offer him yourself."

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭steof1984

Funny thing is my house was broken in last year, I slept all the way trough it. They took about 4k worth of stuff and the car (which they wrote off). Initially I was like “god If I had of woken up we would have a reservoir dog incident in my living room”. But after taking with my neighbour he told me his garden shed was broken into and they took his Lump Hammer and screwdrivers (not the normal ones but those massive ones that are about a foot long and really thick). So if there had of been a fight I doubt me, my good morals and superman boxers would stand a chance against these little scumbags

I don’t think you can answer honestly unless you have been in that situation. We can all say we would beat the living fcuk out of them but in all honestly some of us might actually kack ourselves.

Think about it. You’ve just been woken up and are walking around the house holding baseball bat or whatever you still don’t really expect to see anyone when you search those rooms (unless he is a really bad burglar and making loads of noise). So it will still be a shock when you see them. Where as they fully expect to see someone and come prepared to do whatever they have to to get away. They will have the upper hand straight away because they are mentally prepared for something to happen.

Even if you do catch them by surprise and beat the living fcuk out of them your still in a tough situation. They know where you live and the scum that break into houses are not the kinda people to just go “ ah that caught me. Win some, Loose some” there is potential that they will be back for revenge.

If they were just downstairs stealing telly’s etc then id probably give a shout and hope they get the scare and fcuk off with what they have gotten. Its only material stuff and is all replaceable. If they put me or my family in danger then I’d like to think I could go as far as is needed.

Now where did I put my Stealers Wheel tape.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

I'd construct a time machine, travel to the past and brutally murder their ancestors thereby ensuring the break in never takes place.

Only way to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

The uncle was woken by intruders falling over deck chairs.He awoke to get his shotgun,went down stairs to see one looking in window.The uncle opened the window and fired about a foot from the lads face.Cue him running with another lad and the uncle firing after them.He has never been robbed since,or attempted to be robbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

The uncle was woken by intruders falling over deck chairs.He awoke to get his shotgun,went down stairs to see one looking in window.The uncle opened the window and fired about a foot from the lads face.Cue him running with another lad and the uncle firing after them.He has never been robbed since,or attempted to be robbed.
    If he had shot them he'd have been the one locked up and rightly so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭WillieCocker

KerranJast wrote: »

How do you know his uncle's name wasn't Padraig? :)

KerranJast wrote: »

Why?

The legend that is Padraig Nally is not locked up? Cant see why people would disagree with shooting someone who is trying to rob/hurt you or your family.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

Cant see why people would disagree with shooting someone who is trying to rob/hurt you or your family.
    Shooting someone who is trying to hurt your family is A-OK and no judge or jury in the land would convict you once you used appropriate force. Shooting some sap for petty theft is out of order though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

Lot of keyboard warrior answers here. realistically it's not as easy to say 'I would beat the head off them' because it just wont happen. you are after waking from a nice sleep probly still in your boxers and they will be geared up, probably with a weapon. not a chance will they take a slap without getting in a violent scrap. unless you can handle yourself call the police and make noise, put clothes on.

alternatively call 'the citizen'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

steof1984 wrote: »
    <SNIP>

I don’t think you can answer honestly unless you have been in that situation. We can all say we would beat the living fcuk out of them but in all honestly some of us might actually kack ourselves.

Think about it. You’ve just been woken up and are walking around the house holding baseball bat or whatever you still don’t really expect to see anyone when you search those rooms (unless he is a really bad burglar and making loads of noise). So it will still be a shock when you see them. Where as they fully expect to see someone and come prepared to do whatever they have to to get away. They will have the upper hand straight away because they are mentally prepared for something to happen.

Even if you do catch them by surprise and beat the living fcuk out of them your still in a tough situation. They know where you live and the scum that break into houses are not the kinda people to just go “ ah that caught me. Win some, Loose some” there is potential that they will be back for revenge.

If they were just downstairs stealing telly’s etc then id probably give a shout and hope they get the scare and fcuk off with what they have gotten. Its only material stuff and is all replaceable. If they put me or my family in danger then I’d like to think I could go as far as is needed.

Now where did I put my Stealers Wheel tape.

QFT

Lots of bravado here but the law (while it is an ass) is quite clear The staircase is the defining line between threat to property (you can be done) and threat to life (you can be done but would most likely get off).

If you were to attack a burgler downstairs then the threat was to your property, if the burgler is on, or, up the stairs, then the threat is to life (yours or your family's). That's the difference.

I'm sure most people have a baseball bat or similiar within easy reach (baseball bat is an illegal weapon on it's own BTW, you have to have a ball & glove as well for it to be sports equipment). If you happenned to store your golf clubs in your bedroom or on the landing & used that to defend yourself, than there is doubt as to the intention to harm, however if you have a wheelbrace (or baseball bat on it's own) in your bedroom, who you trying to kid about it's intended use.

Our alarm went off a while back at about 4am & I jumped out of bed (stark naked) grabbed my bat, ran downstairs & disarmed the alarm. I checked the code & it was the kitchen window. I went in swinging wildly (& broke something in the process). turns out it was nothing but the adreniline got me because I had my wife & four month old daughter upstairs.

Thinking about it afterwards I potentially left them to fend for themselves if there was more than one burgler.

Best bet is to make as much noise as possible & call the gardai (screaming down the phone). Burglers don't want to be caught & don't want to come face to face with you. They want to get in & out. I have new for old insurance, chances are I'd be better off in the long run.

Toughest guy I knew was my grandfather, 5'5" & built like a brick ****house. The following is family folklore. I don't know how much of it is true but I really hope it all is...

They were broken into in the early 80s when he would have been in his 60s. He came downstairs in his vest & y fronts. Came face to face with the guy & punched him which knocked him out. He then stripped him & put the guy in the boot of his car & drove him up the dublin mountains, the guy was shouting at him the whole way but he never said a word.

When they got there the guy was shouting his head off how he was going to "get him" & he'd "regret it, I know people". Gramps. stopped the car & turned off the engine then got out of the car & had a smmoke. The guy was quiet all this time.

He opened the boot & pulled the guy out & told him if he ever met him again, he'd bring him up here again, but this time he wouldn't be going home. Punched him again (no ko this time) & then drove home & repaired the window.

Three days later the gardai knocked on the door & said "Excuse me sir, the man in the back of the car is reporting that you seriously assaulted him, kidnapped him & abandoned him in the mountains when he was burglarising the house". My gramps looked out at the guy (same one) shouted back in the kitchen, "Kathleen, were we burgled?"

My grandmother came out & said (with an oscar worthy performance) "No, why?"

Gardai said, "thank you sir" & walked off...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

I lock all the ground floor doors every night, its a habit. Dog it kept in doors also, (little miniature jack Russell (very territorial)) as an early warning system.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,222 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Complete BS :rolleyes:. How many reports have their been of people houses being broken into by scumbags with guns? And it's not like guns are hugely difficult to get for scumbags either.

Who cares?

If you're fighting fair, you've made a mistake. I'm going to have the odds stacked as much in my favour before the fight as possible.
    They will have the upper hand straight away because they are mentally prepared for something to happen.

If you're walking around looking for trouble (which, I grant you, can be a questionable decision, but it's all METT-TC dependant, as the Army says), you should be even more prepared than he is. After all, confrontation is usually likely than hiding and calling 999. If you're not prepared for the event, don't go wandering around your house, just hole up at the top of the stairs.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Athlone probably, maybe a few miles more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Another thread full of Walter Mittys

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Biggins wrote: »
    What ever it takes to keep my wife and kids safe. No if's or buts - no hesitations.
    +1 (although i dont have a wife or kids)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

iMax wrote: »
    Lots of bravado here but the law (while it is an ass) is quite clear The staircase is the defining line between threat to property (you can be done) and threat to life (you can be done but would most likely get off).
    So if you're in a one floor house, like a bungalow, you're f**ked, yeah?
    iMax wrote: »
    Our alarm went off a while back at about 4am & I jumped out of bed (stark naked) grabbed my bat, ran downstairs & disarmed the alarm. I checked the code & it was the kitchen window. I went in swinging wildly (& broke something in the process).
    When the alarm doesn't arm at 4am, I grab a knife, and check all the windows, doors, etc. Waiting at the top of the stairs never enters my train of thought.

=-=

Unless you beat them to a pulp at the top of the stairs, there'll be no proof that they even came up the stairs, thus you face time behind bars. You get surprised whilst watching TV, and the route to the stairs is blocked, and you defend yourself, you face time behind bars. You beat them to a pulp, put them into the boot of your car, and drop them off with half a roll of duct tap, you'll probably still face time behind bars.

Moral of the story: dead men don't tell tales. Anything else, you'll face time behind bars.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,222 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Unless something has happened in the last couple of years (Which is quite possible), the current controlling authority on the matter should be DPP v Barnes. There is no such delineation mentioned in the judgement. It's a simple "Inside your home or not inside your home" distinction. Indeed, the Judge observes that the law is so much in the favour of the homeowner that if Common Law still held, you would be entitled to kill a burglar simply for being a burglar within your own house. Of course, it no longer still holds due to the Constitutional provisions about life, but he does basically point out that an appropriate level of force, to include deadly if required, is quite acceptable as long as the burglar is within your home.

That's before you get to the obvious retort of "What if you live in a bungalow?"

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭johnny_knoxvile

Lot of keyboard warrior answers here. realistically it's not as easy to say 'I would beat the head off them' because it just wont happen. you are after waking from a nice sleep probly still in your boxers and they will be geared up, probably with a weapon. not a chance will they take a slap without getting in a violent scrap. unless you can handle yourself call the police and make noise, put clothes on.

alternatively call 'the citizen'.

it's not easy to say you would do this or that, but most people defending their families would fight like hell. I don't think it's people being keyboard warrior to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

*sigh*
    For the record, you can't get a firearms licence in Ireland for the purpose of self-defence or defence of property. While using one that is to hand in extremis is not a crime, Manic's "preperations" are illegal in Ireland.
    And it's this sort of RKBA image that has the Dail currently debating the prohibition of handguns from genuine target shooters who are competing internationally (and also banning at least two sporting events that I know of in the process), and that has target shooting clubs about to be saddled with hundreds of manhours of work doing paperwork every year to track who is actually shooting targets and who (if anyone) is acting the maggot.

Advertisement