Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Traffic this evening

• 26-07-2017 6:36pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭

Why is traffic so bad this evening? A hour from Joyce's knocknacarra to the huntsman ffs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Goofy

There was a crash out the headford road. Traffic backed up from there to the roundabout beside the merlin park and choked up the roundabout

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

but the bog cotton is doing fine

• Registered Users Posts: 25,655 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Thunderstorm didn't help, either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

When I got to the junction at Tescos, coming from Menlo Park Hotel to head west over the bridge, there was a huge backlog because the green was only getting a few seconds, and about 5 cars per lane was all that was getting through.
    Traffic on all routes did seem to be particularly nuts thought.
    Seemed to be an awful lot of traffic city centre bound too, not just the usual commuter levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭StonedRaider

What traffic?? :p Left Wellpark retail @1745hrs arrived silverstrand @1812 (7mins longer than usual) Choose your route and mode of transport wisely. Listening to traffic updates on GBFM about half hour before departure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Goofy wrote: »
    There was a crash out the headford road. Traffic backed up from there to the roundabout beside the merlin park and choked up the roundabout

And a set of traffic lights on SQR out of action again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Thunderstorm didn't help, either.

Yeah I blame the downpour around 4pm for this. Galway traffic always grinds to a stop in heavy rain and takes hours to clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Why is traffic so bad this evening? A hour from Joyce's knocknacarra to the huntsman ffs

To many people using Cars at the exact same time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

To many people using Cars at the exact same time?
    No it couldn't be that, cars definitely aren't to blame. It must be the rain or a crash or bog cotton or traffic lights, definitely not an over reliance on cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Ya expecting people to cycle home during thunder and lightening is the solution

• Advertisement

McTigs wrote: »
    No it couldn't be that, cars definitely aren't to blame. It must be the rain or a crash or bog cotton or traffic lights, definitely not an over reliance on cars.

I was not in Galway City at this exact time - but was it the huge build up the wet bog cotton at the traffic lights that car crashed, creating obstructions and was also able to somehow able to knock out the traffic lights on SQR as well?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Maybe the limestone pavement which we protected by not building that bridge moved after millions of years?

Ya expecting people to cycle home during thunder and lightening is the solution

Wait 20 minutes, and the storm had ended. 40 minutes and most of the water had subsided. 60 and the footpath was dry again. (Not exaggerating - I went to the gym during the storm, and home afterwards.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Wait 20 minutes, and the storm had ended. 40 minutes and most of the water had subsided. 60 and the footpath was dry again. (Not exaggerating - I went to the gym during the storm, and home afterwards.)

And if your going to work, or collecting kids, or rushing to the shops before closing?
    Dont know where you work, but rain isn't an excuse you want to use for being 20 minutes late, to my employer.

If only there was something that forecast the expected weather and allowed you to plan accordingly

Dont know where you work, but rain isn't an excuse you want to use for being 20 minutes late, to my employer.

Would ya be ok if you were 20 mins late because of CAR traffic in Galway? That would be OK with your employer?

Would ya be ok if you were 20 mins late because of CAR traffic in Galway? That would be OK with your employer?

In fairness, there are some employers for whom any lateness is not acceptable. (There's one medical devices firm where it's common to see people sitting in their cars in the carpark for ages before their shift, just to make sure they're not late.)

If I was working for one of them, then I would not be timing my journey so tightly that an unexpected 20 minute delay caused a problem. I would also be looking for a different job which valued commitment rather than optics.

In fairness, there are some employers for whom any lateness is not acceptable. (There's one medical devices firm where it's common to see people sitting in their cars in the carpark for ages before their shift, just to make sure they're not late.)
    I think your missing the point of the question.
    Maybe it was too subtle. We know that when it rains in Galway(not as often as one would think by the way) that CAR traffic does tend to be heavier.
    So when a car commuter arrives to work, creche, etc <insert anything here> late via Car when it's raining do they blame what they have control over or something which they have no control over?
    i.e CAR traffic(which they are contributing too) or the RAIN?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

If I was working for one of them, then I would not be timing my journey so tightly that an unexpected 20 minute delay caused a problem. I would also be looking for a different job which valued commitment rather than optics.

Well, if you work on a production line, and you're 20 mins late and that slows or stops production, your employer is going to be narked. If you tell them its because it was raining and you didnt want to get wet, they'll be plenty narked.

I work in a medical device factory and most people who turn up early, are there to get the spaces closest to the doors.
    Because the alternative is to park 2-3-4 minute walk away from the building. And no-one wants to get soaked in a rain shower running to and from their car. And that's not idle speculation. I work width these people everyday. Its comes up in conversation a lot( driving, parking, WEATHER)and thats the facts of the matter.

You may have the luxury of walking out of a job because your employer won't let you saunter in when the weather dictates, but most of us don't.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Too many cars into too small an area, road capacity is limited and more cars on road, and more people on the move at work etc mean more delays.
    Hard to see immediate short term solutions other than major move to other modes of transport, park and ride systems in multiple locations around the city/outskirts ( Airport, N17 Corinthians/Claregalway , Oranmore ,Moycullen , Barna for eg) , way more buses esp school times.
    Longer term- road capacity increases , more buses and and a better rail commute system and link ? spur to tuam via oranmore and mainline down tuam to galway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

youngrun wrote: »
    Too many cars into too small an area, road capacity is limited and more cars on road, and more people on the move at work etc mean more delays.
    Hard to see immediate short term solutions other than major move to other modes of transport, park and ride systems in multiple locations around the city/outskirts ( Airport, N17 Corinthians/Claregalway , Oranmore ,Moycullen , Barna for eg) , way more buses esp school times.
    Longer term- road capacity increases , more buses and and a better rail commute system and link ? spur to tuam via oranmore and mainline down tuam to galway?

Without designated bus lanes in Galway you may as well stick with the car.

Increasing the number of buses merely increases traffic.

Caliden wrote: »

There are at least four designated bus lanes in place so far, more being planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

There are at least four designated bus lanes in place so far, more being planned.

Jesus I thought there was more than that! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

xckjoo wrote: »
    Jesus I thought there was more than that! :eek:
    That i can think of it's just seamus Quirke (both ways), Dublin road (outward Moneenageisha to Connacht hotel, inward Ros caoin to Bon Secours)

is that it? I actually can't think where you could fit more without completely removing car lanes

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

McTigs wrote: »
    That i can think of it's just seamus Quirke (both ways), Dublin road (outward Moneenageisha to Connacht hotel, inward Ros caoin to Bon Secours)

is that it? I actually can't think where you could fit more without completely removing car lanes

They could do one on the Headford Road, from the junction with the Dyke road, out to Kenny's if the took land from the various car parks that litter that stretch of road.

One on Forster St and Bothar-hill-down-to-the-coach-station too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Caliden wrote: »

More buses = more transport options and less cars if more people use them. Buses to park and rides and Schools especially should have a bus scheme all the way through. Bus lane on N17 planned soon also.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭bobbyss

It would be great if the bus lane to the Bons coming into town could somehow be extended down Renmore along College Road to the station.

Advertisement