Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Door to door salesmen, how do you see us?

Options
  • 30-01-2015 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

I'm a door to door salesman. I like to think I'm a good one, in fact, I enjoy my job. Sure, I stand in the hurling rain, the sleet, the hail, but I sign people up that are willing to give monthly donations to charity. Some people slam what I do, because of what the owners of the charities earn every year and I understand that it can be frustrating, it's frustrating for us too.

The fact of the matter is that I enjoy working with charities, and the idea that the last person I signed up, might just provide the few euro that will be needed to finalise the cure for cancer, or might be the few euro used to save a homeless man from the bitter cold this January.

I want to know, how do you guys see us?

I know that some people see us coming and say "Son, get the door and tell them your mother and I aren't here." Some people, on the other hand, see the charity that I represent and instantly open the door. (Unfortunately, I can't disclose the charity I work for, as I need to ensure that my views are not misinterpreted as the views of that charity as a whole.)

So which one are you? And when it's all done and dusted and we ask, so are you in? Do you think.... **** off?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Scum, subhuman scum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Looking fearfully in over the gate, with the dog barking mad at you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Nothing good ever comes from answering the door unless you are expecting something.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I am never rude to them, but to be honest i think people have a reasonable right to privacy and not to be bothered at their homes by sellers of any type.

If it was up to me i would ban the practice, and the same for mass junk mailing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I am never rude to them, but to be honest i think people have a reasonable right to privacy and not to be bothered at their homes by sellers of any type.

If it was up to me i would ban the practice, and the same for mass junk mailing.
    In a nutshell

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

quainy wrote: »
    I'm a door to door salesman...

No thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Starscream25

I genuinely dislike it, if I ever want to donate I will in my own time, don't like having to answer the door and feel the awkwardness of knowing straight away that I'd prefer retreat back to my couch with a cup of tea than stand there listening to the good work that is being done etc and whether I would subscribe or donate, I feel it's quite invasive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭RobYourBuilder

Let me guess, you're considered "self employed", on commision and told that one day you too can own your own "sales company". I feel sorry for you more than anything. You're being taken for a ride and you don't even know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Mammy get the curtains, Geldofs coming down the lane!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Never engage with them.
    /checks CCTV, don't recognise caller, ignore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Me too. Am always polite with them as it must be tough but I never let them get started.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Starboy

You are a nusiance,you might think you're a briliant salesman but you're not,ye just piss people off disturbing them,i ****ing hate cold callers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Should be lined up against the wall and shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

I had a Dogs Trust guy call out to me late this afternoon. I was upstairs so all the lights etc were off downstairs and it looked like nobody was home. I went down to the answer the door but he didn't hang around long, by the time I got down to the door he was trudging sadly down the driveway in flurries of snow. I just felt sorry for him to be honest.

Not sorry enough to call him back and actually talk to him though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Littlekittylou

Through the peep hole. You all have the same weird face.

In truth I view you with suspicion. You will never leave any materials to verify who you are you scorn at any suggestion to view a website in reference to what you are selling. You often ask for credit card details on the doorstep.

You mental?
    Some people slam what I do, because of what the owners of the charities earn every year and I understand that it can be frustrating, it's frustrating for us too.

I doubt the veracity of the post though. You call yourself a salesman. But you are not, you're not selling anything. Charities refer to their door to door staff as fundraisers if they are paid and volunteers if they are not.

By the way there are people who do your job for free for charities purely on a volunteer basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Starboy

In truth I view you with suspicion. You will never leave any materials to verify who you are you scorn at any suggestion to view a website in reference to what you are selling. You often ask for credit card details on the doorstep.

You mental?

I doubt the veracity of the post though. You call yourself a salesman. But you are not, you're not selling anything. Charities refer to their door to door staff as fundraisers if they are paid and volunteers if they are not.

By the way there are people who do your job for free for charities purely on a volunteer basis.

This This and this ^^^^^^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

I think less of any charity employing such people tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

You will never leave any materials to verify who you are you scorn at any suggestion to view a website in reference to what you are selling.
    They all scorn this? People who do door-to-door for Airtricity and the like have forms don't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,149 ✭✭✭rednik

I normally see you through the crosshairs of my telescopic sight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭SweetChaos

Hate them I try to be nice but when they persist Ive found that a fck off and door close in their face has worked recently

I used to be polite but my patience has worn thin with these feckers , it is intrusive and intimidating

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i did door to door sales for one day

selling frozen fish...every second house slammed the door in my face

utterly soul destroying :( you need gater skin for it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

I had a memorable encounter with one such fundraiser/volunteer/salesman whatever they're calling themselves. He was from Victory Outreach. He asked me for a donation, and I went to hand him a fiver I had on me.

"Can't take that bud" he says "has to be by standing order" and whipping out a form.

"I wouldn't be interested, I've enough direct debits and standing orders to keep track of as it is" I replied.

"Think you've got it bad?" he said.

"You what? No, I didn't say that"

He butted in "You go on back to your nice warm gaf there, g'wan, don't bother yer arse thinking of anny wan else" turns on his heel and walks back down the drive!

I stood there like this :eek: then I just did exactly what he suggested!

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Asarlai

quainy wrote: »
    I'm a door to door salesman. I like to think I'm a good one, in fact, I enjoy my job. Sure, I stand in the hurling rain, the sleet, the hail, but I sign people up that are willing to give monthly donations to charity. Some people slam what I do, because of what the owners of the charities earn every year and I understand that it can be frustrating, it's frustrating for us too.

The fact of the matter is that I enjoy working with charities, and the idea that the last person I signed up, might just provide the few euro that will be needed to finalise the cure for cancer, or might be the few euro used to save a homeless man from the bitter cold this January.

I know that some people see us coming and say "Son, get the door and tell them your mother and I aren't here." Some people, on the other hand, see the charity that I represent and instantly open the door. (Unfortunately, I can't disclose the charity I work for, as I need to ensure that my views are not misinterpreted as the views of that charity as a whole.)

So which one are you? And when it's all done and dusted and we ask, so are you in? Do you think.... **** off?

Are you really a door-to-door salesman? I thought they went out with the 1970's. The only people who come to my door are the post office people and Jehovah's witnesses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Like most people, I just want to bath/feed the kids, relax, do my stuff in the evenings after a day's graft and I've no interest in being sold things in my home that I can research online during the day.

So I always quickly close the door firmly and politely and then stew in guilt for about half an hour thinking I've been a cnut to somebody making a living working unsocial hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

fryup wrote: »
    i did door to door sales for one day

selling frozen fish...every second house slammed the door in my face

utterly soul destroying :( you need gater skin for it

Ah yes but then after 5 10 hour days you think of those 3 sales you made to some elderly women and how you just need 82 more so you meet your target and get paid 1 euro per sale, sure last week despite making a few sales you didnt get paid, but this is the week!. You cant put a price on such joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I remember a certain insurance company would keep sending someone around to my door every so often to try and sell more and more cover. They never understood the word no so i eventually cancelled my policy because of it. Salesmen need to respect and learn more about the word "no" then maybe they'd be more welcome to at least ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭quainy

Birneybau wrote: »
    Scum, subhuman scum

You can keep it clean, I am a person too. You could quite easily have said you dislike people in my profession. Manners costs you nothing.
    Let me guess, you're considered "self employed", on commision and told that one day you too can own your own "sales company". I feel sorry for you more than anything. You're being taken for a ride and you don't even know it.

Genuinely, no. I earn a set wage, regardless of how many sales I make. I worked in 100% commission jobs for a while, met some sales targets, got to the "cliff" as it's called, where you are simply never going to meet the criteria to progress and decided that enough was enough, I'd move somewhere better.

You mental?

That is completely true, and those volunteers, do it one day each week, or once a year for a week. Put bluntly, I'm more experienced, I work at what I do, I train to get better at it, not that the volunteers don't but my job depends on it. I also do it every day, monday - friday. And I work hard, so those volunteers are great, but they dry up at certain times. This time of year being an example.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭The_Chap

Id rather **** in my hands and clap than waste what seems an eternity for you to reel off your memorised spiel while I wonder if it's rude to just slam the door shut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

I let a charity salesmanwoman/fundraiser into the house once and ended up setting up a direct debit for a charity that I kept going for a good few years. She was a super hot red head, if it was a bloke I wouldn't have given him a penny. I was young and innocent and severely sleep deprived after a week on night shift.

I just stop people straight away now, tell them I have a few charities that I give to regularly and I can't afford to give to anyone else. If it's an actual salesman that's not from a charity I just say no thanks before they even get into their rhythm.

Advertisement