Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr Ferrari's Camper Van (off-topic discussion)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Rofo

Is that a wheelie over the finish line? From last night's Mondello races...

Bonus points should be awarded!

IMG_7817-600x360.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 21,601 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Anybody else noticed Chain Reaction really stepping their game up with postal times? Put in 2 orders with them this month and got both them within 2 working days. Usually it'd take almost a week!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Now ya tell me. Just ordered a set of Crud IIs from Wiggle...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,601 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Cavs been spending too much time cycling around London :D

AvskiVZCQAICFhc.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

doozerie wrote: »
    Minister Alan Kelly models the latest too-small-for-me bike helmet (or maybe his head really is shaped like this), while a young fella models the latest sure-just-lob-it-on-backwards bike helmet, all officially in the name of Bike Week:

bikes-front.jpg

I'd like a new official Bike Week please, this one appears to be broken!

National Helmet Week again already? Time flies!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

tomasrojo wrote: »
    National Helmet Week again already? Time flies!

As I was indulging in one of my occasional perusals of Rosemary McCabe's fahsion tips this afternoon, I couldn't help thinking of your head quietly imploding at the following picture and caption:

1224318249124_15.jpg?ts=1340233421
    Hugh Jackman let the safety side down in London last year, as he cycled around on the kind of fold-up bike you often see people carrying on buses and trains.
    If only we’d known they were Wolverine-approved; we’ll have to stop casting disparaging glances at their owners on the daily commute.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/features/2012/0620/1224318249124.html

Not just pro-helmet, but anti-Brompton too! Although her closing remarks hinting at a reappraisal of the merits of the world's most beloved folder may offer a measure of solace... Then again, the world of fashion is so fast-paced that it will probably have changed all over again by the time I post this. Phew! I find it hard to keep track sometimes.

I love my Brompton more with each passing day. I don't care how silly it looks Rosemary McCabe thinks it looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭happytramp

Seriously! When did Cavendish become such a hipster??? Here's some more...

Screen%2Bshot%2B2010-07-11%2Bat%2BPM%2B05.47.26.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

happytramp wrote: »
    Seriously! When did Cavendish become such a hipster??? ...........

the second the cheque arrived from pinarello;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

stetyrrell wrote: »
    Anybody else noticed Chain Reaction really stepping their game up with postal times? Put in 2 orders with them this month and got both them within 2 working days. Usually it'd take almost a week!

I was happy with my first order with CRC - placed late Fri night, dispatched first thing Mon morning and received before 9.30am on Wed morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

What? That's cheap. I know a fella who paid 10 times that!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Just wanted to check, a 2005 Trek 1000 in good condition for 190 euro is a very good deal, right? It sounds excellent to me anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

stetyrrell wrote: »
    Cavs been spending too much time cycling around London :D

AvskiVZCQAICFhc.jpg:large
    They are not World Champ socks. Letting the side down very badly. Is there a rule that says 'When you have earned the right to wear the stripes then everything from socks to jocks should be WC stripes'
    If not then there should be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Anyone catch Matt Cooper this evening just before 5.30 ? I missed the start but Andrew Montague and another was on talking about cycling in Dublin, how dangerous or not it can be and cycle lanes etc. A lot of sense from the two guys and the subject of helmets came up and the two guys admitted to not wearing them, Montague referring to studies that showed there was no evidence that proved they were beneficial and that mandatory use would reduce the amount of cyclists, stuff that's been discussed here.

It all went down hill when the interview finished and Cooper started reading texts, I swear he was picking the most ridiculous ones such as people complaining about not wearing high vis and such nonsense, he admitted himself he was flabbergasted when he heard the two lads say they didn't wear helmets. He can be such a twat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Yep. Heard it on the way home from work. Was a decent interview till the helmet thing came up then you could almost hear the interview crash and burn.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Just wanted to check, a 2005 Trek 1000 in good condition for 190 euro is a very good deal, right? It sounds excellent to me anyway!

Sounds good to me too..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭buffalo

For the longest day of the year, it sure is pretty dark out. Never thought I'd need my lights in the middle of June!

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

Somewhat substanceless piece on the Times' Science page today about bike technology: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/features/2012/0621/1224318352938.html

Was surprised by this line: "We are trying to design a joint that, if you crash, the derailleur will break off, without cracking the frame. The derailleur will just decouple". Haven't they already invented that?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Hutchinson. Delighted.
    As good as Darryl Webster................almost.

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=9207

• Registered Users Posts: 24,937 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

buffalo wrote: »
    For the longest day of the year
    The longest day was actually Wednesday 20th June as there was a leap day this year. ;)

• Advertisement

ThisRegard wrote: »
    It all went down hill when the interview finished and Cooper started reading texts, I swear he was picking the most ridiculous ones such as people complaining about not wearing high vis and such nonsense, he admitted himself he was flabbergasted when he heard the two lads say they didn't wear helmets. He can be such a twat.

He had a section on helmets before a few years back where he had someone on who had a very moderate, possibly somewhat sceptical position, I can't quite recall. He obviously couldn't leave it at that, so the next evening he had a girl on who'd suffered a head injury, and he made sure she was allowed to promote helmets to the skies with no other contributor.

It was very odd, because it's not a terribly absorbing subject for most of his listeners, and he's already covered it the previous evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

bcmf wrote: »
    then you could almost hear the interview crash and burn.
    Was it wearing a helmet? :pac:

I can't stand most Irish radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

...here

Extreme action is required to weed out this sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

On my commute this morning I was stopped, as ever, at a red traffic light on Eden Quay, just before Custom House Quay. There were cars stopped in both traffic lanes to my right. Pedestrians had a green light so were crossing merrily in front of us. Traffic crossing the junction south to north was unusually light. Someone on a Dublin Bike on my side of the junction rolled through the crossing pedestrians to gain those crucial extra inches of distance over the rest of us, and stopped his bike with his front wheel jutting into the junction itself. Not to be outdone, the car driver at the head of one of the lanes of traffic followed suit and drove through a (small) gap in the pedestrians too. She wasn't even slightly fazed by either her red light or the pedestrians green light. Having cleared the pedstrians she just decided to keep on going and drove through the junction to become the head of the queue at the next set of red lights about 200m ahead.

Having got a green light a minute or two later, I got to the red light at the next junction to find yer wan still sitting there. I noted her registration in my head with the intention of calling TrafficWatch when I got to work. The light went green and off she went, applying some more make-up as she drove. A few metres ahead I was about to pass her when I noticed a motorbike coming up alongside me in the lane to the right. I wish it was a Garda, I was thinking. I looked. It was. Bleedin' deadly! As yer wan slowed to stop behind a line of traffic I moved across, caught the garda's attention, and told him what she had done. He said thanks, and turned on his lights and siren. I had to restrain a cheer. As I cycled past on her left, she nearly pulled in on top of me as she tried to pull her car off the road. Christ almighty! A little further ahead I was stopped in traffic again and looked back to see the garda talking to her. I resisted the urge to yell "Look, just tazer her!" and "Would you like some help?". A minute later what I think was the same garda went driving off up the road. I didn't look back to see whether he'd flung her car keys in the river and left her to walk in the rain, as I didn't want to be disappointed, I'll choose to believe he did just that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭lennymc

The longest day was actually Wednesday 20th June as there was a leap day this year. ;)

no it wasnt (at least according to astronomy ireland)

http://www.thejournal.ie/longest-day-of-the-year-summer-solstice-planets-time-zone-494553-Jun2012/

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

lennymc wrote: »

This would appear to be because there were effectively two "longest days" this year:
    http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?n=78&month=6&year=2012&obj=sun&afl=-11&day=1

As the difference in chronological day length between 20th and 21st was less than one second. The solistice being related to the position of the earth in relation to the sun, depending on your timezone, it may have occured before or after 12am from your point of view.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,773 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I must be missing something here, but last time I checked thay were all 24 hours ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭chakattack

tomasrojo wrote: »
    He had a section on helmets before a few years back where he had someone on who had a very moderate, possibly somewhat sceptical position, I can't quite recall. He obviously couldn't leave it at that, so the next evening he had a girl on who'd suffered a head injury, and he made sure she was allowed to promote helmets to the skies with no other contributor.

It was very odd, because it's not a terribly absorbing subject for most of his listeners, and he's already covered it the previous evening.

I heard the piece on Matt Cooper. I think the anti-helmet arguments were weak, poorly defended and subtracted from all the positive things spoken about before hand. Matt bringing a head injury victim on the show does support the clear logic of helmets (to limit head injury in a crash)...the driver psychology/safety in numbers argument has very little real evidence aside from some arguably sketchy statistical analysis.

My sample of 1 study has shown twice that helmets (can help) stop you breaking your head open in a fall. It takes some very twisted logic to decide not to wear one in the name of staying safe.

I know it's been debated to death here and I usually wouldn't be arsed joining the debate but it annoys me that some people are so vocally against wearing one. Just go with your own decision and let others make their own.

I'm all for freedom of choice and anti-legislation and I understand how mandatory use would act as a barrier to cycling for a small number of people but I think trying to prove/promote/campaign that you are safer without one is a public disservice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭lennymc

Beasty wrote: »
    I must be missing something here, but last time I checked thay were all 24 hours ...

nope.

:)

• Advertisement

chakattack wrote: »
    I heard the piece on Matt Cooper. I think the anti-helmet arguments were weak, poorly defended and subtracted from all the positive things spoken about before hand. Matt bringing a head injury victim on the show does support the clear logic of helmets (to limit head injury in a crash)...the driver psychology/safety in numbers argument has very little real evidence aside from some arguably sketchy statistical analysis.

My sample of 1 study has shown twice that helmets (can help) stop you breaking your head open in a fall. It takes some very twisted logic to decide not to wear one in the name of staying safe.

I know it's been debated to death here and I usually wouldn't be arsed joining the debate but it annoys me that some people are so vocally against wearing one. Just go with your own decision and let others make their own.

I'm all for freedom of choice and anti-legislation and I understand how mandatory use would act as a barrier to cycling for a small number of people but I think trying to prove/promote/campaign that you are safer without one is a public disservice.

There are plenty of threads on this subject already in existence, and I've contributed to many of them. I'm not going to say anything to any of your points, as that would just light the fuse of another Helmet Thread.

Except that the whole argument centres around the bit in bold. Anti-compulsionists aren't the ones telling other people what to do.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement