Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Australian Skilled Migration Visa - Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Gongoozler wrote: »
    Yes, great thanks.

:( my boyfriend's profession is there, but mine isn't

Only the main applicant needs to have their skills on the list.
    Are you under 30 years of age?

Working Holiday Visa > 457 Employer Sponsored Visa > 186/187 Employer Sponsored PR Visa

Would take about 4 years.

If that doesn't suit, have a chat with a few agents.

Both 457 sponsored visa and 186/187 ENS PR are subject to a list of skilled professions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

So guys, I was just wandering through the forums, thinking of the good aul days I had in Aus and noticed on the list of jobs they have that a dental prosthetists was on it. Now my wife who is from Argentina actually has this degree :eek: whats the story on the TRA as I thought my chance to live in Australia had passed

astonaidan wrote: »
    whats the story on the TRA as I thought my chance to live in Australia had passed
    Are you refering to a skills assessment?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Just got 95% in my citizenship test today. Expect a ceremony in March. Fun times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Mellor wrote: »
    Are you refering to a skills assessment?

Yup its the skill assessment, TRA

• Advertisement

Evert occupation has to go to a specific assessor, TRA is one of maybe 30 assessors.
    If TRA is the skills assessor for dental prosthetist then you can contract them through the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Hi All,

Starting getting my stuff together for a 189 application - I'm currently contracting via agency to a fitout (construction) company in Melbourne - 457 is not an option right now, and for obvious reasons a PR visa is far more advantageous & desirable.

I'm 26, I have a degree in Quantity Surveying - but I work as a Contract Administrator/Junior Project manager so I am a little confused in terms of what occupation I should apply under - Contract Administrator is assesseed by vetasses - and QS by the AIQS. Is anyone here familiar with the industry that can help me out here, and which route is better to take?

I'm relatively inexperienced so with a hopeful Superior score in the IELTS I will total 65 points. - (I am fully aware of the level of English required to achieve superior)

i'm just looking for some general advice on what to do, I'm in Ireland right now and am writing up my application for Garda Clearance, however I cannot attach anything from an Embassy/Consular department as I need the clearance cert first in order to submit an EOI.

It's pretty obvious that my research sucks, but the ambiguous nature of the border.gov.au site confuses me to the point of frustration - even the vastly differing costs of the process are hard to get my head around. (cost is neither here nor there but it would be nice to be able to budget accordingly)

Again, apologies for the scattered & confused post, I'm finding it hard to get around what route I should actually take.

Any advice/criticism/slating is welcomed and appreciated, :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

Cheensbo wrote: »
    Hi All,

Starting getting my stuff together for a 189 application - I'm currently contracting via agency to a fitout (construction) company in Melbourne - 457 is not an option right now, and for obvious reasons a PR visa is far more advantageous & desirable.

I'm 26, I have a degree in Quantity Surveying - but I work as a Contract Administrator/Junior Project manager so I am a little confused in terms of what occupation I should apply under - Contract Administrator is assesseed by vetasses - and QS by the AIQS. Is anyone here familiar with the industry that can help me out here, and which route is better to take?

I'm relatively inexperienced so with a hopeful Superior score in the IELTS I will total 65 points. - (I am fully aware of the level of English required to achieve superior)

i'm just looking for some general advice on what to do, I'm in Ireland right now and am writing up my application for Garda Clearance, however I cannot attach anything from an Embassy/Consular department as I need the clearance cert first in order to submit an EOI.

It's pretty obvious that my research sucks, but the ambiguous nature of the border.gov.au site confuses me to the point of frustration - even the vastly differing costs of the process are hard to get my head around. (cost is neither here nor there but it would be nice to be able to budget accordingly)

Again, apologies for the scattered & confused post, I'm finding it hard to get around what route I should actually take.

I know there are/were a few people in your field knocking around this forum so you might get the right answer.
    However, I would strongly recommend chatting to a registered migration agent. I had to use one (employer insisted/covered cost) and the only real place I thought they added value was in get my skills assessment through. Went through a couple of drafts before submitting (they were really pedantic) but it was approved by ACS within 4 working days (have heard of people waiting months for approval).

If you could engage them to advise on skills/initial application only it might reduce cost as rest of process is quite straightforward.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭brandnewaward

Hi All,

can recommend a top migration agent handling our 189 if you want , and one to avoid like the plague

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Windorah

can recommend a top migration agent handling our 189 if you want , and one to avoid like the plague

Could you PM me too please!

• Advertisement

I really dont think a person from Ireland with a degree needs a migration agent. Its really not incredibly difficult to do yourself with a bit of help from here and a few other forums.

Not worth the $$$ they charge IMO.

Im a Cadastral Surveyor. I had limited enough experience but when I called SSSI, my assessing body, they said I only needed the degree and anything else was just to make it easier but they generally pass a skills assessment for someone with a degree.

Call the Quantity Surveying body who assesses and see what they say. Remember just because you get approved PR in an occupation doesn't mean you have to work in that field.

If you could pm the details i'll keep them in/out of mind..
    irishmover wrote: »
    I really dont think a person from Ireland with a degree needs a migration agent. Its really not incredibly difficult to do yourself with a bit of help from here and a few other forums.

Not worth the $$$ they charge IMO.

Im a Cadastral Surveyor. I had limited enough experience but when I called SSSI, my assessing body, they said I only needed the degree and anything else was just to make it easier but they generally pass a skills assessment for someone with a degree.

Call the Quantity Surveying body who assesses and see what they say. Remember just because you get approved PR in an occupation doesn't mean you have to work in that field.

Thanks for the response :),

I have to say looking at it from the outside I'd agree, there's not a lot in there that I can see an agent would be able to do more than an individual beyond perhaps getting the SA through.

In that case with the SA you've alleviated a lot of my fears, I do have almost 3 years (scattered) reportable experience so that for sure will get me over the line.

The Garda clearance is now posing a little difficulty, met the super today and he's looking for a letter from Immigration (AU), bit of a ball-ache, because according to my understanding of the process: my first contact with Immi should be when I submit my EOI - Which includes the police clearance.... :confused:

Final question, roughly how much does the 189 end up costing, im getting vastly differing reports ranging from $1,500 to $11,500, are there any 'horses-mouths' here who can say with relative surety??

If you could pm the details i'll keep them in/out of mind..

Thanks for the response :),

I have to say looking at it from the outside I'd agree, there's not a lot in there that I can see an agent would be able to do more than an individual beyond perhaps getting the SA through.

In that case with the SA you've alleviated a lot of my fears, I do have almost 3 years (scattered) reportable experience so that for sure will get me over the line.

The Garda clearance is now posing a little difficulty, met the super today and he's looking for a letter from Immigration (AU), bit of a ball-ache, because according to my understanding of the process: my first contact with Immi should be when I submit my EOI - Which includes the police clearance.... :confused:

Final question, roughly how much does the 189 end up costing, im getting vastly differing reports ranging from $1,500 to $11,500, are there any 'horses-mouths' here who can say with relative surety??

The 189 is approx $3600 AUD for the application. Medicals within Australia are approx $350. The Skills Assessment varies. Quantity Surveying body will have a price. Mine was $550. The IELTS test I think was $330. So it cost me roughly $5000 AUD when I done mine.

You dont need to submit a garda check with an EOI I'm pretty sure. That was one of the very last things I provided.

The Superintendent is just being a pain really. I even got my mother to sort that out for me. I wrote a letter and emailed it to my mam and she went to the Gardai. They didn't make a big deal of it. Mam just said it was for a Permanent Residency application and I was in Australia.

Show him this webpage if he's still being a problem and follow what it says. Its spot on.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/moving_abroad/leaving_ireland/police_certificate.html

• Registered Users Posts: 29 imagine_08

Hi Guys

I hope someone can help me out here

Situation- I have been 2 years on my 457. My company has just informed me that they cannot nominate me as the role I am sponsored under is no longer the role I am doing ( current company took over my sponsorship) There is no role on the list that they can nominate me for so they will not be nominating me.

What options to I now have for PR? I am in Melbourne and working in the insurance industry.

Thanks in advance

Yours in absolute stress

Sean

Independent PR
    State sponsored PR

imagine_08 wrote: »
    Hi Guys

Situation- I have been 2 years on my 457. My company has just informed me that they cannot nominate me as the role I am sponsored under is no longer the role I am doing ( current company took over my sponsorship) There is no role on the list that they can nominate me for so they will not be nominating me.

What options to I now have for PR? I am in Melbourne and working in the insurance industry.

Thanks in advance

Yours in absolute stress

Sean

Have you got a degree?

Independent PR
    State sponsored PR

Thanks Mellor. If they are the only options I think I may be screwed as my profession is not on the list. After 5 years in Australia I fear my time is up unless there are any other options.

imagine_08 wrote: »
    Thanks Mellor. If they are the only options I think I may be screwed as my profession is not on the list. After 5 years in Australia I fear my time is up unless there are any other options.

all is not lost...Pm sent.
    was in the same boat a few months ago...

Worry over, no more contact from the Guards, until the clearance cert came in the post :)

IELTS also booked for January when I get back to Melbourne!

Quote:

Originally Posted by imagine_08 View Post

Hi Guys

Thanks in advance

Yours in absolute stress

Sean

Have you got a degree?

Hi. Apologies for missing your message. Yes I have a bachelors degree in Business & Marketing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Probably a dumb question but the end of another wasted year in Ireland and once again thoughts turn to greener pastures, which I think about every other year!
    I'm not on SOL but am on CSOL.
    I assume then this means I would need to be sponsored to even entertain the idea? I'm going on 39. :/
    I got in touch with a migration agent but who knows to be honest.

Sponsored on a 457 (temp visa), or sponsored by employer/state for PR

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭ben10afc

If I travel to Australia on a holiday visa (already used working holiday) can I lodge a 189 onshore? Without having to leave the country while it's being processed? Getting mixed answers and need to know before I make any moves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 PH15

ben10afc wrote: »
    If I travel to Australia on a holiday visa (already used working holiday) can I lodge a 189 onshore? Without having to leave the country while it's being processed? Getting mixed answers and need to know before I make any moves.

Short answer, yes you can.

Long answer, depends on so many factors. As in your age, education, skills, funds, your intentions, the list goes on.

A Bridging Visa A during your application will have the same criteria as the tourist visa you hold. You will not have work rights and will require a Bridging Visa B to leave the country and to return.

It get complicated after that if you are looking to work, in this case. You'll need to talk to Aussie Immigration.

Applying in Australia:
    If you apply for this visa in Australia, you could be eligible for a Bridging visa that allows you to stay in the country lawfully while your application is processed. If you are given a Bridging visa A, you can apply for a Bridging visa B (BVB) to travel outside Australia while you wait for a decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭winning

Hi,

Would I have a chance of passing the required skills-set as an Accountant having done a Bachelors and Masters with a fairly heavy degree of accountancy based subjects? Never did a professional qualification.

Thank you

Sponsored on a 457 (temp visa), or sponsored by employer/state for PR

hmm. Cheers for that. A buddy (in Aus) is on to me to come over on a holiday visa and look for a job while there, with the hope of getting sponsored.
    That to me is lunacy, and probably not as straight forward as that.
    All well and good for him. He got sponsored to go over years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 PH15

seachto7 wrote: »
    hmm. Cheers for that. A buddy (in Aus) is on to me to come over on a holiday visa and look for a job while there, with the hope of getting sponsored.
    That to me is lunacy, and probably not as straight forward as that.
    All well and good for him. He got sponsored to go over years ago.

It certainly isn't as straight forward as that.

Email and phone employers over there, like you would applying for any job. See what feedback you get. You could get very lucky and land a sponsored job from abroad.

I'd recommend a working holiday visa, if you're under 30 years old. See if you can stay with your contacts until you get settled and sorted with a job. Then take it from there.

I'm nearly 39!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Amadeus 2014

Morning (or evening, depending where you are...)

Quick context - over the summer I saw an ad for a job in Sydney offering sponsorship (I currently live in London) and 2 interviews with HR, 90 min telecon with the company owner, 1 hour tele interview with a functional expert, two written exams, a personality profiling test and a decades worth of reference checks later I got a job offer. They were quite thorough...

Originally I got the offer in November and was told that 457 visas are typically granted in 2-4 weeks so with signed contract in hand I handed in all of my notices with a plan to travel at the end of Jan. A combo of schools and house rental lease dates changed that to the 18th Jan as my target travel date (complete with family).

Unfortunately while the employer has sponsored several 457 visas in the recent past they decided to use a migration agent for this one (at thier cost, obviously) as there had been some regulation tweaks and they wanted to make sure everything went through. That delayed the visa application until Dec 8th. Migration agent said that she expected a decision by early Jan and my own research indicates that 93% of 457s are granted and 98% of IT 457s going through so we figured that we would probably be ok and stuck to the original leaving date. That gave 6 weeks or so for the processing rather than the 2-4 I had been quoted.

And we haven't heard anything yet...

At this point the family (and me!) are starting to get a bit twitchy. Does anyone know how long 457s typically take, or what current times are? I've agreed with work that I'll extend week by week to ensure I'm not jobless as well as homeless but that can only last so long so any advice / thoughts / facts / recent experiences of 457 applications and grants would be welcome

Thanks!

• Advertisement

Morning (or evening, depending where you are...)

Quick context - over the summer I saw an ad for a job in Sydney offering sponsorship (I currently live in London) and 2 interviews with HR, 90 min telecon with the company owner, 1 hour tele interview with a functional expert, two written exams, a personality profiling test and a decades worth of reference checks later I got a job offer. They were quite thorough...

Originally I got the offer in November and was told that 457 visas are typically granted in 2-4 weeks so with signed contract in hand I handed in all of my notices with a plan to travel at the end of Jan. A combo of schools and house rental lease dates changed that to the 18th Jan as my target travel date (complete with family).

Unfortunately while the employer has sponsored several 457 visas in the recent past they decided to use a migration agent for this one (at thier cost, obviously) as there had been some regulation tweaks and they wanted to make sure everything went through. That delayed the visa application until Dec 8th. Migration agent said that she expected a decision by early Jan and my own research indicates that 93% of 457s are granted and 98% of IT 457s going through so we figured that we would probably be ok and stuck to the original leaving date. That gave 6 weeks or so for the processing rather than the 2-4 I had been quoted.

And we haven't heard anything yet...

At this point the family (and me!) are starting to get a bit twitchy. Does anyone know how long 457s typically take, or what current times are? I've agreed with work that I'll extend week by week to ensure I'm not jobless as well as homeless but that can only last so long so any advice / thoughts / facts / recent experiences of 457 applications and grants would be welcome

Thanks!
    I'd say a lot are only starting back monday , It would take 6 weeks , taking into account xmas

Advertisement