Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Paypal for schools / charities

Options
  • 26-08-2015 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭

Am I right in thinking that if you're a registered charity or school that you can have a website that accepts donations etc without Paypal charging a fee?

I've been trying to get information on this from their own site but it doesn't seem overly clear to me.

Thanks in advance for any advice...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

zaphodbeeb wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking that if you're a registered charity or school that you can have a website that accepts donations etc without Paypal charging a fee?

I've been trying to get information on this from their own site but it doesn't seem overly clear to me.

Thanks in advance for any advice...

I've never seen PayPal do this for free. They have a discounted rate for charities but its not free

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭zaphodbeeb

OK, so this is it (just in case anyone comes across this looking for the same thing I was)

Paypal: looking to setup an account for a school / charity

How do we go about that... (here is what I typed while I was talking to the Paypal Guy PPG)

PPG: Ok, so it's a "not for profit" account. The main important thing is the normal rate is 3.4% plus 20p per transaction - the nfp account rate is: 1.4% PLUS 20p

PPG: It sounds like (as a school raising money through after school classes or accepting donations) you'd meet the criteria BUT you might not - depends on Paypal approving you as a charity / NFP.

PPG: Timescales - usually takes a week to setup from setting up the inital account, adding the bank account, through to approval for NFP rate.

So, in steps:

1 Sign up for Business Paypal Ac - sign up for Paypal business
    2 Need an account holder - this is someone who would contact Paypal (head of the PA / person who would be most dealing with it - i.e. not the web developer in this case [me])
    3 That person would need an email address - they would contact Paypal in case of any issue
    4 Need to add a bank account - the PA account.... needed for receiving / withdrawal of any funds
    5 Don't need to add a credit card as we won't be paying or making purchases / payments using this account

So the three step proccess is: Creation - adding the bank account - and verification - then the business account is created.

At this point apply for the not for profit criteria
    Most of the time they ask for a charity number - in our case WE WON'T have that so they need to write into Paypal... / prepare a "report" justifying our case.

Probably best to type up a letter on school letter head, print out, scan and send into them..

That's it.

Advertisement