Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A career in cartography - where to start

• 01-11-2010 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hi folks,

I would love to study and work in the area of cartography and map-making, but don't really know where to start. I'm 29 and have an honours degree in Electronic and Computer Engineering from NUIG. Looking around online, I see a course in geomatics in DIT, but that's a four year degree course and I don't think I can afford to put myself through (at least) four years of university now.

Are there any other courses or ways to get into this area? Any information would be great; it's something I've always been interested in but have no idea where to start.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

irol wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I would love to study and work in the area of cartography and map-making, but don't really know where to start. I'm 29 and have an honours degree in Electronic and Computer Engineering from NUIG. Looking around online, I see a course in geomatics in DIT, but that's a four year degree course and I don't think I can afford to put myself through (at least) four years of university now.

Are there any other courses or ways to get into this area? Any information would be great; it's something I've always been interested in but have no idea where to start.

Have you come across this course in NUIM, might be just what you're looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 irol

Thanks for the reply, though I think I'd find it hard to get into a postgrad having not studied geography. I'll send them off a mail anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

irol wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply, though I think I'd find it hard to get into a postgrad having not studied geography. I'll send them off a mail anyway.

No you won't, I know a chap who worked as a techie in Intel for 25 years, did a BBS in DCU and is now doing a PhD in Geography. You'd have the perfect skills for the GIS and remote sensing because it's nearly all computer programming and all that jazz.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 irol

Thanks El Siglo; I've sent a mail off to the NUIM geography department and will see what they say to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

UCC geography department do both a diploma in GIS and an MSc in Remote Sensing and GIS.

Might suit you better depending on your geographical location :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

El Siglo wrote: »
    No you won't, I know a chap who worked as a techie in Intel for 25 years, did a BBS in DCU and is now doing a PhD in Geography. You'd have the perfect skills for the GIS and remote sensing because it's nearly all computer programming and all that jazz.

I'm just finishing that MSc and there is no computer programming in it unfortunately.

Also - make sure you check what remote sensing involves and that you want to do it. It constitutes 50% of the course and probably 70-80% of the time/work load involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Savin

If you were willing to take the brunt there is an MSc Geomatics at the university of Plymouth that would be very suited,

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jim1960

Hi Irol

I come from a cartography background and am now looking for similar carreer for my son who will be finishing school in two years.

At present there is a Geomatics course in DIT Bolton Street.Four years I think .

In my years, I have worked on Levelling,updating of Large Scale plans (1:1000, 1:2500),tachy work on forestry and rivers, all outside field duties.
    Office work consisted of Aerial Photogrammetry and now working on 1:50000 small scale graphics.
    Have to say a huge variety of area's and loved them all.

I am so glad I picked the right career from the beginning and stuck with it.
    I believe DIT will be having an OPEN day early next year and definitely intend bringing my lad.

Hope this is of help to you if you are thinking of it.

jim1960

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 V.Bond

Hi Irol, I have been working in Land Surveying for past 12 years, love it, but am "unqualified". Can not afford to study Geomatics full time for 4 years at DIT and no part time course available at all in Ireland. Have H.Dip in GIS, considering moving into that area.. Market flooded with Geomatics students at the moment, most of them working for free at best.. Wish you luck though.. Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 MysticManiac

I'm interested in cartography. If anybody could answer some questions I'm having about Cartography, that would be appreciated.

What do you do on a daily basis?
    Why did you choose a job in Cartography?
    What are the most rewarding aspects of your job?
    What skills have you learned from this work?
    Do you work with other people?
    What equipment or items do you use in your work?
    What qualifications or requirements are necessary/recommended for this career?
    Would you recommend a job in cartography? Why?
    Why is cartography important, in your opinion?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 lstevo

Hi guys

I would love to get in to this area. I will be finishing a degree in Computer Science soon and would love to get into Geomatics. Is there a good Msc to do here and what are the jobs like here at the moment? I know Maynooth do a Msc in Gis but I'd really like to do some outdoor work so I'm thinking an Msc in Geomatics is the way to go.
    Any info or advice would be much appreciated.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,133 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

lstevo wrote: »
    Hi guys

I would love to get in to this area. I will be finishing a degree in Computer Science soon and would love to get into Geomatics. Is there a good Msc to do here and what are the jobs like here at the moment? I know Maynooth do a Msc in Gis but I'd really like to do some outdoor work so I'm thinking an Msc in Geomatics is the way to go.
    Any info or advice would be much appreciated.

Cork have an MSc in GIS & Remote Sensing. I did it myself, your computer science background will stand to you, much better than coming from a geography background. There's not much outdoor stuff bar one or two projects through out the year but you'd be fairly free to choose a dissertation topic that would involve plenty of outdoor work come summer time. For example one of my class mates was using a laser scanner to monitor sand dunes in Kerry for hers.

There are jobs around but they're fairly few and far between for the most part, lots more options in the UK though, new GIS jobs posted on indeed practically every day over there.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Cork have an MSc in GIS & Remote Sensing. I did it myself, your computer science background will stand to you, much better than coming from a geography background. There's not much outdoor stuff bar one or two projects through out the year but you'd be fairly free to choose a dissertation topic that would involve plenty of outdoor work come summer time. For example one of my class mates was using a laser scanner to monitor sand dunes in Kerry for hers.

There are jobs around but they're fairly few and far between for the most part, lots more options in the UK though, new GIS jobs posted on indeed practically every day over there.

Thanks for that.

Does anyone know anything about the Geospatial Engineering M.Sc in Dit. I would really like to get into surveying an work more outdoors.

Thanks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,001 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Cartography & remote sensing interest. Career opportunities? Degree requirements? Paid student internships?

Advertisement