Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Brock vs Undertaker WM30 Discussion *WM30 Spoilers*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

I think it sums up something about Vince that the fans miss. For the fans it's what makes sense booking-wise; or what makes sense for the future. What finish would work out best for WWE six months down the line?

For Vince, it's mostly about what will make a great WrestleMania. What will leave the fans going home happy or what will give them a shocking result? Let the next few months worry about themselves. Cena and Lesnar's wins sums that up. It drives the smarks mad but I would miss that unpredictability if smark-logic completely took over the WWE.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭Sirsok

I like to think that Heyman will benefit the most from it, calling himself the greatest manager in history etc and that will only benefit any new Paul Heyman guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭deano546

I think it sums up something about Vince that the fans miss. For the fans it's what makes sense booking-wise; or what makes sense for the future. What finish would work out best for WWE six months down the line?

For Vince, it's mostly about what will make a great WrestleMania. What will leave the fans going home happy or what will give them a shocking result? Let the next few months worry about themselves. Cena and Lesnar's wins sums that up. It drives the smarks mad but I would miss that unpredictability if smark-logic completely took over the WWE.

I think it was Undertaker's call, not Vince.

deano546 wrote: »
    I think it was Undertaker's call, not Vince.

Probably, but Vince still has the final say. I've heard he rejected various suggestions from the Undertaker about ending the streak before.

Anyway when I refer to Vince in this sense, I really mean WWE writing as a whole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

Jester252 wrote: »
    Taker had planned on ending it to Brock a few years ago, but plans fell through.

And Kane lest we forget.

This poor guy though will meme'd till the cows come home

6VBFZy.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

It would have been Takers call, 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 11,992 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

And to be fair Bryan closing Mania after beating Trips one on one clean as a whistle and then Orton and batista should be more than enough to keep smarks happy. I mean seriously if you told someone that would happen at Mania you would be laughed at a few years ago. Its an amazing moment which sadly seems to have been lost with all the talk over Taker.

And of course the beginning of what looks like a Cesaro push and The Shield still going strong, the WWE got much more right than wrong tonight.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Essentially tonight summed up why Vince is the one who's made millions in television and smarks are just smarks. They build up to Wrestlemania all year and this one was one of the best and possibly the most memorable.

Down the line they could be screwed but with Taker old as the hills anyways and Punk off in a sulk he just went "**** it" and went for the biggest impact. Leave those problems to sort themselves and still have enough to work with for the biggest shows. If they do end up getting Sting he knows they'll probably be grand and can work him in with Lesnar who will probably have heat not seen since HHH in the early 2000s. If Punk does get over his sulk the company's actually not in bad shape at all and just had a Wrestlemania that TV history was made in.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,992 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Sirsok wrote: »
    I like to think that Heyman will benefit the most from it, calling himself the greatest manager in history etc and that will only benefit any new Paul Heyman guys.

Initially but what a rub it will be for someone who beats Brock at his next PPV.
    Brock lost a lot of his aura after the Trips feud, its well and truly back now.

Money will be made of Taker losing tonight, so its not the disaster booking that some have suggested.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

BkltQITCQAAPaLx.png

• Advertisement

Never want to hear anyone complain that WWE is predictable ever again....:p

Never want to hear anyone complain that WWE is predictable again....

But predictable is good sometimes. Unpredictable doesn't neccesarily equal a good angle or a good match.

I think someone here said the other day that since the Taker/Lesnar build sucked that people could turn on streak. Good call.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

I don't get why people think it should have gone to an up and comer like Reigns or something. You can't give the streak to someone who is an unproven draw. Easiest comparison is Miz, headlined Wrestlemania a few years ago, now is a random dude eliminated in a battle royal. Do you really want to run the risk of giving the streak away to someone who just might not work out the way the company hoped in the future and realise when it's way too late that you just pissed it away for nothing? Lesnar is a huge name, he's had a few losses, this re-establishes him as the biggest monster and heel in WWE. Makes sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Fr. Sensini

I think Cena would have lost to Wyatt if it wasn't for the streak ending. No point in having two monsters winning. There's a difference between logic and what's predictable. Lesnar winning was a massive shock as hardly anyone would have expected it but made far more sense in storyline terms then an old Taker winning.
    Rjd2 wrote: »
    Initially but what a rub it will be for someone who beats Brock at his next PPV.
    Brock lost a lot of his aura after the Trips feud, its well and truly back now.

Money will be made of Taker losing tonight, so its not the disaster booking that some have suggested.

I'm not sure how many PPV's they have Lesnar for but I hope they go somewhere big with this. After something as huge as this having him job at Summerslam would be an anti-climax. This should be setting up the main event for WMXXXI. If only he hadn't lost to Cena and HHH then he could have his own streak to be broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭deano546

I think it was a baffling decision. Obviously this was Taker's last match and the "old school mentality" is to put someone over on the way out but in this situation it made little or no sense imo. Its a part timer who probably won't be around in 3 or 4 years time, and while yes this will help his drawing power, that doesn't mean half as much in a WWE Network world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭glenjamin

End of an era :(

taker-1.gif

I don't get why people think it should have gone to an up and comer like Reigns or something. You can't give the streak to someone who is an unproven draw. Easiest comparison is Miz, headlined Wrestlemania a few years ago, now is a random dude eliminated in a battle royal. Do you really want to run the risk of giving the streak away to someone who just might not work out the way the company hoped in the future and realise when it's way too late that you just pissed it away for nothing? Lesnar is a huge name, he's had a few losses, this re-establishes him as the biggest monster and heel in WWE. Makes sense to me.

Let's face it; he'll probably lose in his next feud and then you're back to square one.

But predictable is good sometimes. Unpredictable doesn't neccesarily equal a good angle or a good match.

I agree, actually. Just usually people complain when WWE is predictable so it was a joke at their expense.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

I totally agree. Let's say someone like Dean Ambrose done it, they would be pushed to the moon for a few months but in reality, they should never be allowed to lose a match ever again......until they lose to someone like Heath Slater. Lesnar was the most credible threat at this time.... A proven fighter up against a 50 year old man. To me it makes 100% sense. I just hope they capitalise on this moving forward

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Along with his shooting star a few years ago and now tonight, Lesnar really has had some WTF moments at Mania.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Reports coming out that Taker was brought to the hospital

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

Let's face it; he'll probably lose in his next feud and then you're back to square one.

Not really though, Lesnar can lose and still look a monster because he's been established as such and nothing will take that away. An up and comer gets the streak, then is booked poorly and might never recover.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,768 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Happiness overload.

Jester252 wrote: »
    Reports coming out that Taker was brought to the hospital

Dave Meltzer said on LAW that Taker was legit hurt in the match. Dunno about dem reddit rumours though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Dave Meltzer said on LAW that Taker was legit hurt in the match. Dunno about dem reddit rumours though.

A known reddit user that works for WWE confirmed the source. Also Hacksaw tweeted about it

Honestly I don't get what Roman Reigns has ever done to deserve this. By far the least entertaining member of the Shield. Brock Lesnar is proper main event and it seemed clear to me that Undertaker wasn't physically capable of putting on an A match this year, never mind again next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

BklXhN_CQAAmDMm.jpg

People are tweeting from the Silverdome that there's adults in tears leaving, chants of refund etc.

I hope this means there won't be a match with Sting the gasbag next year.

Ha,ha,ha that is hilarious. Ah **** I knew I should of ordered Mania at the last minute .

People looking for a traditional 80's territory style booking logic to this; where every result is about pushing someone; are going to be disappointed.

They wanted to create a big shock on the first PPV on the network that would leave people talking and that's what they did.

In hindsight, many things start to make sense:

-All members of a pre-Raw panel a couple of weeks ago predicted the Undertaker to win.
    - Cole at one point mentioned that all of the panel thought Taker would win and that nobody was giving Lesnar a chance.
    - Heyman wasn't allowed mention on tv that Taker had never beaten Lesnar (something he did mention in print interviews where he would have control)
    - Taker mostly dominated the buildup, apart from the final Raw.

They decided to orchestrate the biggest shock in WrestleMania history to get people talking and get lots of publicity, and leave people thinking they got their money's worth for $9.99. It's a memory no wrestling fan will forget, for better or worse.

Lesnar could have told them he will retire tomorrow and they probably would have done the same thing.

Largely, I think a lot of the internets reactions to this have proved HHH's recent promos to be fairly on the Mark. I'm delighted that this was a really unpredictable PPV after months of watching PPVs play out like rewatching a TV episode I had already seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Garseys

I suppose the anything can happen In WWE saying really applied here. I was stunned.

Im glad its a household name like Lesnar that ended it.

I think the crowd reaction said it all. Anyway everyone mostly went home happy with Bryan anyway.

Advertisement