Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Always sad :(

Options
  • 12-05-2013 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi I'm a guitarist who like to write songs, I've written a few to date but no matter how hard I try they are always sad songs, I seem to be unable to write and upbeat song, any help?? It seems to be the lyrics, like I can't write happy lyrics for some reason.. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭jimmybeige

Stop using minor chords and possibly change the rhythm. Those both contribute greatly to the tone of your song and in affect the way you will probably write lyrics. This is of course assuming you write the music first. If not, then just stop writing sad lyrics!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 fredchest

IRE_Jordan wrote: »
    Hi I'm a guitarist who like to write songs, I've written a few to date but no matter how hard I try they are always sad songs, I seem to be unable to write and upbeat song, any help?? It seems to be the lyrics, like I can't write happy lyrics for some reason.. Thanks

like the other poster said: mix and match major and minor chords.
    Melodies - use perfect fourths/5ths....major second jumps. (they sound more confident, ''striding out''..)
    If you're melody is sad sounding....I bet it moves alot in minor 3rd jumps. (this is the sad sound interval in a minor chord)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

I'm the same, I find sad songs are all I write. Trying to come away from that, I did what the previous posters did, and just created catchy little upbeat tunes. With those I began writing ridiculous lyrics, messing. But that helped spur me on to actually write with a more joyful outlook.

If it's purely lyrically that you're finding trouble with, why not sit down with a pen and paper, and jot down things that inspire you. What makes you laugh so hard your sides hurt? After a ****ty day, what's the one thing that can brighten up your evening. It sounds corny, but think positive and positive things will come to mind when you do sit down to write.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 katykat03

I have advice!!!

At least you can write songs. Some people struggle with this artistic vibe. And you have the power gal! Let your emotional side out!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Earthmoving

If writing sad songs is what comes naturally to you then why force anything else? I don't think that would be true expression.

• Advertisement
Advertisement