Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bsc (hons) Occupational safety and health

• 18-07-2012 5:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭

Hi guys

I'm doing this in september as a mature student, was wondering can anyone tell me more about the course, i mean anything because i cant find much info at all, is there much maths involved, many field trips,group projects etc etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Not sure, but looks like there is maths on it.

Click here and select student group then your course.

BTW, from last years experience that time table will constantly change for the first few weeks or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ITS_A_BADGER

Not sure, but looks like there is maths on it.

Click here and select student group then your course.

BTW, from last years experience that time table will constantly change for the first few weeks or so.

I cant go back to see the timetable from earlier this year, it only starts the timetable from todays date - forward, and as its only july and nothing is sorted yet unfortunatly i cant see a timetable, Thank you tho, sounds like you were a first year last year? what is the course like?

I cant go back to see the timetable from earlier this year, it only starts the timetable from todays date - forward, and as its only july and nothing is sorted yet unfortunatly i cant see a timetable, Thank you tho, sounds like you were a first year last year? what is the course like?

Can you not select date for first week in sept? It should be ok then, I had a look at your timetable and it was ok. BTW all lessons might not be up yet.
    Try Here for timetable

I was a first year but in a different course, found it a bit strange but was ok after a while.:eek:

Can you not select date for first week in sept? It should be ok then, I had a look at your timetable and it was ok. BTW all lessons might not be up yet.
    Try Here for timetable

I was a first year but in a different course, found it a bit strange but was ok after a while.:eek:

Thank you! i tried september the first for the timtable which yeilded no results for me thank you for this, damn that looks like a lot of maths :(

Edit: by any chance did your course have math 1 on it? if so is it hard ? sorry to bother ya man and thanks for the timetable. its just that im terrible at maths

Thank you! i tried september the first for the timtable which yeilded no results for me thank you for this, damn that looks like a lot of maths :(

Edit: by any chance did your course have math 1 on it? if so is it hard ? sorry to bother ya man and thanks for the timetable. its just that im terrible at maths

I only had Maths for last semester and was hoping there was none on the course :o. like you I am terrible at it and it may have been Japanese writing for all I knew at first :eek:. But Luckily there was no exam, just assessments. There is Maths Help every Tuesday and Thursday
    I don't know what I would have done without it or my lecturers help. Next semester is the big one. But all I can say is seek help if needed from them.

• Advertisement

I only had Maths for last semester and was hoping there was none on the course :o. like you I am terrible at it and it may have been Japanese writing for all I knew at first :eek:. But Luckily there was no exam, just assessments. There is Maths Help every Tuesday and Thursday
    I don't know what I would have done without it or my lecturers help. Next semester is the big one. But all I can say is seek help if needed from them.

Thanks man you've been a huge help :) i know im gona need help with maths as ive never been great on them and its been 9 years since i done algerbra or any of that craic so its a bit daunting, ive looked at the years progressing OSH and it seems the maths are only in the first year aswell, but i think physics involves some aswell in the second and third year, Ill be happy this time next year when maths only based classes are behind me.

Thanks again man!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Fr.Buzz

Hi guys

I'm doing this in september as a mature student, was wondering can anyone tell me more about the course, i mean anything because i cant find much info at all, is there much maths involved, many field trips,group projects etc etc

Hi...I am doing this course and the there is maths in semester 1 and 2.. The maths is quite basic ordinary maths leaving cert level...In semester 1 the maths is a bit challenging as you cannot use a calculator...I also struggle with maths big time but I found if you just go in to class everyday and do a bit of work and keep your maths journal up to date then you will be fine..No problem..

In semester 2 i found the maths a lot easier as we are allowed to use calculators again and found the maths a lot easier...Nothing to get bothered about!!...Also the lecturers are brilliant also there are classes run Tuesdays and Thursdays to help you if you are finding it difficult.. The physics is on in semester 2 and the maths is very basic...just adding, subtraction, dividing, multipying etc...Very easy!!..

Overall I love the course...it really is brilliant...lecturers are brilliant and subjects are very managable!.. Unfortunately no filed trips yet..but plenty of group work which can be difficult at first until the group settles as a class..but the wood will seperate from the trees after a while..! My advice is just go in everyday do the bit or work you nedd to do and you will breeze through the exams!!...Good luck with it!!!:)

Fr.Buzz wrote: »
    Hi...I am doing this course and the there is maths in semester 1 and 2.. The maths is quite basic ordinary maths leaving cert level...In semester 1 the maths is a bit challenging as you cannot use a calculator...I also struggle with maths big time but I found if you just go in to class everyday and do a bit of work and keep your maths journal up to date then you will be fine..No problem..

In semester 2 i found the maths a lot easier as we are allowed to use calculators again and found the maths a lot easier...Nothing to get bothered about!!...Also the lecturers are brilliant also there are classes run Tuesdays and Thursdays to help you if you are finding it difficult.. The physics is on in semester 2 and the maths is very basic...just adding, subtraction, dividing, multipying etc...Very easy!!..

Overall I love the course...it really is brilliant...lecturers are brilliant and subjects are very managable!.. Unfortunately no filed trips yet..but plenty of group work which can be difficult at first until the group settles as a class..but the wood will seperate from the trees after a while..! My advice is just go in everyday do the bit or work you nedd to do and you will breeze through the exams!!...Good luck with it!!!:)

Thank you so much for for giving me a little ease about the maths, that is biggest fear about the whole thing to be honest! I want this so bad im willing to put hours into the maths if i have to! its just that i really really suck at them so far as to not even passing ordinary maths in my LC, but i will work my butt off! thanks again :)

which also means im gona have to learn these maths again from the very beginning which i hope i can do in time and be capable of!!

Thank you so much for for giving me a little ease about the maths, that is biggest fear about the whole thing to be honest! I want this so bad im willing to put hours into the maths if i have to! its just that i really really suck at them so far as to not even passing ordinary maths in my LC, but i will work my butt off! thanks again :)

In my class there are a number of mature students and like you doing maths was their biggest fear as it was years since they had done maths and some of them had never even seen the type of maths that we were doing in class...but they stuck with it and they all passed no problem..top of the class some of them!!:eek:.. I even remember the lecturer saying one day that the mature students were at an advantage as they were pretty much learning from scratch where as the student fresh from the leaving cert was over reliant on the calculator, brainwashed into putting numbers into formulas and systems and getting answers like 1 and 2...and they really didnt know what their answer meant.. What the lecturers will be trying to do is to get you to understand why the maths will be relevant to your course and what the answers mean in the workplace... I hope this makes sense..? Best of luck with it again..:)

• Advertisement

Fr.Buzz wrote: »
    In my class there are a number of mature students and like you doing maths was their biggest fear as it was years since they had done maths and some of them had never even seen the type of maths that we were doing in class...but they stuck with it and they all passed no problem..top of the class some of them!!:eek:.. I even remember the lecturer saying one day that the mature students were at an advantage as they were pretty much learning from scratch where as the student fresh from the leaving cert was over reliant on the calculator, brainwashed into putting numbers into formulas and systems and getting answers like 1 and 2...and they really didnt know what their answer meant.. What the lecturers will be trying to do is to get you to understand why the maths will be relevant to your course and what the answers mean in the workplace... I hope this makes sense..? Best of luck with it again..:)

yes it made sense, you are an amazing person! thank you for putting my mind at ease, hope you have a great next 3-4 years aswel man

take care :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 snowballmc

Hi Pal,

I'm in fourth year of the course now and was not the greatest at maths either. As long as you keep on top of the maths, you will be ok. I just passed leaving cert ordinary level maths and got through it. As previously said, it is a basic level of maths and if you are struggling you can get help twice a week. Overall the course is manageable, although there is a 50% drop out rate every year, if you are interested and put in any effort you will be fine!! :)

snowballmc wrote: »
    Hi Pal,

I'm in fourth year of the course now and was not the greatest at maths either. As long as you keep on top of the maths, you will be ok. I just passed leaving cert ordinary level maths and got through it. As previously said, it is a basic level of maths and if you are struggling you can get help twice a week. Overall the course is manageable, although there is a 50% drop out rate every year, if you are interested and put in any effort you will be fine!! :)

Thanks man, yea the maths is my biggest worry about the course, i want to do well, but i really really suck at maths i failed ordinary level in school and hadnt looked at those type of math in like 7 years now and that has me worried, but if its leaving cert standard type maths i could get grinds at home to help and wouldnt have to worry about doing some crazy college level algerbra or something along those lines, i presume its not a mixture of all sorts of math and just focuses in one area? i hope so at least because i could get grinds in that area alone and and be good at it

Well...ITS A BADGER just qurious out of interest how did you find the maths in 1st year of this course ?..Hope the exams went well and you are now looking forward to second year of this course ?... I found second year of this course enjoyable as it takes in a wide selection of subjects but again they are all manageabe with regular attendance1..I cannot stress enough the importance of attendance!..Its half the battle!..

I am sure you are now very familiar with EBL..? In second year there will be a big emphasis on ebl with alot of group work..where you will be given scenarios to solve and will also require group presentations on your findings..its tough work but enjoyable I think!..

The most challenging part of second year will be the Biochemistry subject you will study in the 1st semester..Whats challenging is the lecturer..he talks at a level beyond the students knowledge and expects everyone to understand what he is talking about...its very easy to get overawed and get bogged down by this..but trust me 99% of the class will be confussed as each other..My advice is to pick up as much marks along the way as possibile!!!..It will make life alot easier for the exam in January!!! Attend all his lecturers, tutorials, labs and especially the moodle quizes which will be ran every tuesday!!!..they are eay marks!!..When it comes to his final exam its about being prepared!... he will give little to no hints but look at previous exam papers and cover yourself by having back up questions prepared!..This subject is the one that seems to trip students up every year in all courses not just health and safety!..

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Dats_Dope

Hi im hopefully doing this course soon fingers crossed, but can someone tell me whats the differnce between this and the level 7 course?

Advertisement