Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

alastair wrote: »
    I'm not really impressed with your evasion and inability to answer a yes or no question - but thanks for the bluster.

Has a home owner with mortgage 300k and a house value 200k, got wealth Yes or No

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Is ignorance of the subject the best strategy for the no camp then?

Well answering a question with a question most certainly isn't anyway:rolleyes:
    robbie7730 wrote: »
    They dont have to lean on them, they are government supported, and do what they are told.

Which of course is in effect leaning on them. And I think you mean taxpayer supported :)
    Nah! Of course not, this is a free country. Not like Russia, where the State media dances to the Kremlin's beat.

It just looks like that here :rolleyes:

:D

vicwatson wrote: »
    Which of course is in effect leaning on them. And I think you mean taxpayer supported :)

Indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

vicwatson wrote: »
    Which of course is in effect leaning on them. And I think you mean taxpayer supported

A tv station that's taxpayer supported is being leaned on by taxpayers, in relation to a subject pertinent to taxpayers? Outrageous!

A tv station that's taxpayer supported is being leaned on by taxpayers, in relation to a subject pertinent to taxpayers? Outrageous!

Is it? The taxpayers dont hand the money to rte, their paymasters do.

• Advertisement

The taxpayers?

The taxpayers?

It suits you playing stupid, your convincing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

They get it handed to them one way or another, thats for sure.
    James Reilly, the health minister, paid a public relations company €15,000 for advice on health reform as well as for speech writing advice, his office confirmed.

He paid the money last year to the Communications Clinic, whose directors are PR consultant Terry Prone and Tom Savage, the chairman of the RTÉ board.

I wonder if the Chairman of the board of RTÉ worries about whether or not a customer of his is criticised on RTÉ programmes?

I wonder if Terry Prone is nervous of criticising a valued customer of hers in her columns in the Examiner or when she is giving her expert opinion on various RTÉ programmes?

RTE, its not entirely in their interest to remain neutral, not according to these allegations.

'you're'

Just trying to draw out who this shadowy body you suspect of 'leaning' on RTE is. It's all so cryptic and conspiratorial - just like a Dan Brown novel - and just about as convincing!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Jaysus lads yis are not going to believe what happened a few minutes ago !!!!
    Had a phone call from Sly Phil asking me to turn coat and fight on Boards on behalf of the Govt to encourage people to pay the Household Tax. Don't know how he got my number. He offered me a nice wee sum too and promised me I wouldn't have to pay. Just sit at my laptop and encourage everyone to pay the tax like. Tell them it's patriotic.

He said he already had a shower of fcukers working on it for him but they were useless. He was thinking of sacking them. They were only alienating the posters of the country.

I told him to fcuk off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

'you're'

Just trying to draw out who this shadowy body you suspect of 'leaning' on RTE is. It's all so cryptic and conspiratorial - just like a Dan Brown novel - and just about as convincing!

Leave the grammar police crap at the door to after hours

Had a phone call from Sly Phil asking me to turn coat and fight on Boards on behalf of the Govt to encourage people to pay the Household Tax. Don't know how he got my number. He offered me a nice wee sum too and promised me I wouldn't have to pay. Just sit at my laptop and encourage everyone to pay the tax like. Tell them it's patriotic.

He said he already had a shower of fcukers working on it for him but they were useless. He was thinking of sacking them. They were only alienating the posters of the country.

I told him to fcuk off.

Mick Wallace just phoned me and asked me to join the anti side said he would pay me a fortune to post on here all day about the pitfalls of registering.

Told him to fcuk off

• Registered Users Posts: 51,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

donalg1 wrote: »
    Mick Wallace just phoned me and asked me to join the anti side said he would pay me a fortune to post on here all day about the pitfalls of registering.

Told him to fcuk off

He just fancies your pink shirt.

Told him to fcuk off

He just fancies your pink shirt.

Don't have one but he said he'd send one over as a sweetener if I agree. Nearly swayed me but I held out don't think I could wear pink

'you're'
    Pick any post there, they all have your peferct spelling. All 66 of them.

I dont suspect anything.

Pick any post there, they all have your peferct spelling. All 66 of them.

PMSL, some people are so righteous it beggars belief.

D-

Must try harder.......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

I told him to fcuk off.

OK - got bored and went to bed. Now it's 5am and I'm bright as a button :D

Perusing the the repartee and general abuse (which I note gets worse as the, I assume, alcohol intake increases :rolleyes:) - I came across this gem.

Nice one Tatyo Man!

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭maceocc2

Just got a "Final Reminder" in the post about this, wasn't addressed to anyone. Still not going to pay it:

imag0584k.jpg

maceocc2 wrote: »
    Just got a "Final Reminder" in the post about this, wasn't addressed to anyone. Still not going to pay it:

imag0584k.jpg

Can you show us a picture of the "first" reminder?!:rolleyes: NOOOOO cause there hasn't been any !! GIMPS, I thought Fianna Fail were bad (and they are), I ain't paying it either

maceocc2 wrote: »

imag0584k.jpg

I think I read something, somewhere about that leaflet meant to be returned to someplace....

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

I like the line on the flier about how these local facilities benefit everyone yet only home owners have to pay for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I like the line on the flier about how these local facilities benefit everyone yet only home owners have to pay for them.
    There was a very valid point on the radio yesterday that if these funds are going to local authorities, then why don't people have to pay at a local authority office.

Thats probably the worst thing about this charge, make 1.6 million people pay for services that over 4 million people will benefit from, very fair indeed.

The LA tenants should be made pay some similiar charge seeing as they benefit from Local Services just as much if not more, seeing as some of this money that is raised and given to the LA will be used to repair the LA houses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

smash wrote: »
    There was a very valid point on the radio yesterday that if these funds are going to local authorities, then why don't people have to pay at a local authority office.

If you knew the money collected in your locality was going to be spent in your locality people would be happier to pay this. But this is going into a big pot and the money distributed by the government so your locality may not infact get the full financial benefit of monies give by locals.

smash wrote: »

They do as far as I know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

They do as far as I know

I think he means that local money should be spent by local authorities.:confused:

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    I think he means that local money should be spent by local authorities.:confused:

Oh right!!!:confused:

There was a guy sitting in the foyer of Kilkenny county council on Tuesday with a Household Charge sign in front of his desk. There was no one near him.

I wonder who is doing his "normal" job while he is sitting there scratching his armpits?

Also I wonder if other Co Co's have a similar dedicated desk in their buildings?

It's really a big joke, created by a joke of a politician.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

No! You're the stool of Government! :rolleyes:
    :rolleyes: Yes, Enda.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

They're not government supported. They're state supported - different thing altogether.

Partly supported. They also have a massive stream of advertising revenue. A completely unfair advantage. But - hey - this is Ireland. Why change the habit of a lifetime. Spending money we don't have so that PS workers can have their "entitlements", and that organisations like the HSE can squander our money?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement