Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I've been avoiding this....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭madon

A lot of it is in my head still- I know how I felt after the Dublin HM and couldn't imagine ever doing it any quicker. Now to aim for nearly 20 minutes less than six months later- my fitness moved on but my mind is still six months ago! Thanks for the peep talk Younganne:)

Tonight 9*400 metres- my Garmin measure in mile so 9*250 yard.
    4.02 miles travelled in total.
    Miles this year 89.78

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

madon wrote: »
    I know how I felt after the Dublin HM and couldn't imagine ever doing it any quicker.

With your training you will be feeling the same or better, but at the same time actually running at a quicker pace.

9 miles, I usually run constantly looking at my Garmin but I decided that I wasn't going to look at it until I finished and just go at a pace I felt comfortable with. I ended up running it in 1.27 a little quicker than I did the last nine mile, Plus I got stopped twice by people looking for directions:confused: the last person I'd stop to look for directions is someone running:rolleyes:
    Felt good at the end of it- done my cold the world of good too!
    Miles this year 98.78

2.63 miles- It was supposed to be 5 miles but I was feeling crap all day between a dodgy tummy and a head cold- thought a run would either cure me or kill me! It was edging on the kill me side so I gave up half way. Hopefully a good night sleep will leave me fresh as a daisy for tomorrow.
    Miles this year 101.41

5.03 in 52.05. felt slow and sluggish but not enough to not run today. I'll take a rest day tomorrow and hopefully get rid of this cold!
    Miles this year 106.44

• Advertisement

5.03 in 50 mins- Again I felt sluggish, still have a head cold, again I didn't feel like I needed to stop but just that I wasn't in the best form for it. I'm happy just to be out this week- I still have a week to play with so I think I'll repeat this week of the plan next week too. I'm still going to try for 11 miles tomorrow but I won't feel under pressure if I'm still not 100%
    Miles this year 111.47

4.13 miles- (not 11) I'm just not over this cold yet and there was no point me pushing things when I don't feel right. Thankfully i have the extra week.
    MIles this year 115.6

3 miles last night after a cup of tea- explains why I felt like throwing up about a mile from the end.
    Today Week 10 of HH half marathon- 5 mile run- felt okish.
    Miles this year 123.6

45 minute tempo- Done the first mile at 10 mins, second at 18.30 mins ran the next half mile at 8 min mile and got a terrible stitch that i had to stop to get rid of, ended up running the rest of the tempo at 9 then 9.30 and finished it at 10 min mile.
    Disappointed that I had to stop I'm not going to let it annoy me though- my chest felt pretty heavy the whole way through this run I'm still trying to shake this dose. reading back on the tempo it looks pretty alright though- I thought I ruined it when i stopped but I was at the peak of it anyway so was coming to the point that I was to bring the pace back down:D
    Distance covered 4.75 miles
    Miles this year 128.35

If you're feeling under the weather you shouldn't be beating yourself up with these types of sessions. Keep with easy pace running until you are back to normal. It's too easy to overdo it and find yourself off for an extended period.

• Advertisement

If you're feeling under the weather you shouldn't be beating yourself up with these types of sessions. Keep with easy pace running until you are back to normal. It's too easy to overdo it and find yourself off for an extended period.

I know I shouldn't feel too bad, I'm annoyed that it happens near the end of the twelve weeks! Thanks for the reassurance- it's at the back of my mind that if I over do it I might miss Bohermeen completely! I just read back on my log a bit and I always seem to be sick- the advantages of having a hubby that works in the hospital!
    I got 11 miles in today so I'm happy TBH if I have to take a few days off now or take it handier so be it- I done the 11 miles with what I feel is low quality training in the past week or so. I felt crap the whole way through and had nothing left at the end of it but I done it into a very strong wind for the most part and quite a hilly route too. I ended up completeing it in 1.52 so I should be happy with that time when I did feel crappy!
    Miles this year 139.35

Should have gone 5 today but i only done 4.15 due to time restriction! Felt better than i have in the last few weeks but the weather conditions weren't great, was supposed to be going at race pace but I went slower than that at around 40 mins
    Miles this year 143.5

5 miles in 46.46, feeling a good bit better- hopefully it won't be so miserable and windy the day of the HM! Not sure whether to change my runners this week- the ones I have are fairly new but they have got wet and dry and wet and dry so many times I think they've shrunk a bit.
    Miles this year 148.5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

when's the HM Madon? (too lazy to read back :o).

Sunday week- the 4th of March so I've only this week left of mad running then it's the week of.....
    I'm really starting to look forward to it and on the other hand I'm wondering how my legs are going to carry me 13.1 mile without giving up. I've babysitter booked for that night and I'm sooo looking forward to the beers I probably won't have the energy to drink:D
    Then I'll probably concentrate on getting my 10k time down some more. I entered the Boyne 10k tonight its on the bank holiday weekend in May so that'll be the next big thing!

5.2 miles consisting of 5 x half mile 5k pace with slow recovery between each.
    Miles this year 153.7

12.1 mile 2.02-
    My dog got mobbed by a little dog 9 miles into this- the little dog kept getting in under my dogs legs and biting him I've never heard my dog growl until today, the owner of the little dog couldn't get his dog to come back- pain in the a** going down the beach and having people let there dogs off lead when their dogs have no recall:mad: Anyway the 'atttack' went on for a couple of minutes (maybe one:D) and my watch was still going.
    Also I need new runners! I could feel the outside of my foot hurting- which is my sign to get new ones- will have to get them tomorrow so I'll have a couple of runs in them.
    Besides that the run went okay I'm over the dose I had, I am a run short this week but I might do that tomorrow or Tuesday.
    Miles this year 165.8

2.7 mile, took it slow, got new runners and legs were a bit stiff from Sundays run. Until I nearly ran into a man dressed all in black on a quiet bit of the road that I had to turn back on to get home I sprinted back past him and kept running really fast until I was about quarter mile past him- just in case he was the boogie man:o My mind really runs away with itself on late night runs! Shows what fate I have in my dog protecting me from the boogie man too:D
    Miles this year 168.5

3.1 nice and slow- stopped a few times to readjust laces etc walked over rocks i usually run over in case I go down wrong on my ankle!
    Role on Sunday- must stock up on jelly babies!
    Miles this year 171.6

13.1 on my watch 2.02.07- two times listed on the results are 2.02.17/ 2.03.07.
    Walked out of the house this morning in my socks, was sitting in the car when the OH asked where my runners were. Went back into the house and away we went- 5 mile out the road I remembered my Garmin so back we go again!
    I can't point out where I lost the time, I think it was just one of those days where everything didn't just fall into place. At the 12 mile mark i had too much to do to get in under 2 hours.
    12 weeks ago I wanted to do this in 2.07 taking 10 mins of my Dublin time- when my training was going well I thought 2.05- I had it in my head then that I could go under 2 hours- I shouldn't be disappointed with my time- and I wouldn't be if I knew I put all I had into the run today but I was able to pick the pace way up for the last mile and I was able to really step it up coming to the finishing line- there was a lot left in me at the end. Dublin in September aim is 1.59.59!!!
    Miles this year 184.7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭alitoast

Well done Madon, good run.

Well done Madon! Great to have a pb especially in a tough race.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Well done on the PB!! Is that a 15min PB.... thats fantastic!!!!

Nice running. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Great stuff Madon, well done.Sub 2 is not far off for you. Your car must have been one of the ones Nules and I laughed at when it was being towed out by the tractor...sorry :D

shazkea wrote: »
    Great stuff Madon, well done.Sub 2 is not far off for you. Your car must have been one of the ones Nules and I laughed at when it was being towed out by the tractor...sorry :D

It was bound to happen us- my OH passed so many remarks about the 'eejits' who revved the engines, spinning the tyres and thats why they got stuck- he was still on about it as our car sunk down:rolleyes::)!!!

Tonight 2.8 miles to loosen out the legs. Thighs were a bit sore to begin with but felt fine by the end.
    Miles this year 187.5

Arghhh... someone has wiped us (and Meathcountysec) from the 1000 mile table. I didn't log a few runs over the last couple of weeks so I don't know my total mileage. I know that at some point over the last few days the three of us were lined up together but I can't remember at what mileage, what day or which of us was on top ahead. I also remember that when I added my 3 miles on Monday it brought my finish date to 24th December... which I think would make me at about the same miles as you are at now.
    Can I steal your miles? :D

Yeah rob my miles! I might get you to do a few for me later in the year:P! For the last few weeks we've been swopping places you'd go a couple ahead of me and vice versa.
    I hate to say it but I think MCS is slightly ahead but he does have a lot more free time.........:p:)!!!

After the HM my goal now is to get 10k time down- hopefully below 50 by September. Next goal race is the Boyne 10k (May6th) which would really have been the first proper run I ever done (last year)- I ran that in 58ish I think! Would love to get that one below 50 but it might be too close - so early 52 late 51 mins might be more realisitic- I've been looking at a few different 'increase speed' type plans I might take bits from them all but use HH intermediate as the base plan. For the next two weeks I'll be lucky to get out for 3 runs each week after that I'll be in full swing doing dreaded intervals and tempos and all those type of sessions that I really hate:D
    Tonight a little 2.7 run to see if my legs are with me- and they are- they've forgotten SUnday!

Miles this year 190.2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

madon wrote: »

After the HM my goal now is to get 10k time down- hopefully below 50 by September. Next goal race is the Boyne 10k (May6th)

Hi Madon, glad the legs are feeling good and fresh since Sunday!! Shows how you have progressed.
    I see we have the same goals now..my next race will be the Boyne 10K and i need to get my PB of 54.00 down closer to 50mins, i'm going to follow HH intermediate plan too starting next Monday and see how it goes!!:D

• Advertisement

Younganne wrote: »
    Hi Madon, glad the legs are feeling good and fresh since Sunday!! Shows how you have progressed.
    I see we have the same goals now..my next race will be the Boyne 10K and i need to get my PB of 54.00 down closer to 50mins, i'm going to follow HH intermediate plan too starting next Monday and see how it goes!!:D

We're lucky to have such great local races- I think the Boyne is the same route as last year, I'm looking forward to this one would love it to be the one that I break 50, I'm just not overly confident that I'll be able to- I'll see how the training goes in the next few weeks. I was half way round the block tonight and I was just thinking I'm looking forward to the next plan but I don't think I'm ready to move out of these recovery runs yet and I will have a tough week at work next week so i might not get a whole lot done. That'll leave me that I'll have to skip a week of HH to be in time for Boyne. I might try get a few hill sessions into the plan too- a lot of the runs I do is fairly hill and i think its standing me well, I could benefit from doing repeats up hill rather than just running up a hill!

Tonight another 2.8 slow run
    Miles this year 193

Advertisement