Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

HMV Grafton Street Reopening (Live music/Competitions/Discounts)

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Hugh Cream wrote: »
    oh and buying a blu ray player in 2014 makes no sense at all, no matter how cheap it is..

Oh dear.....

Go on, explain...this should be good. Let me put some popcorn on first....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Oh dear.....

Go on, explain...this should be good. Let me put some popcorn on first....

Ever since I found out about Plex I have no need for Any dvds or blu rays. It costs about €20 in total to get a box to run Plex and assuming you have a laptop or android phone or Xbox or whatever, your all set. Its possibly the easiest and cheapest way to view films and the user interface is amazing for an open source program. Not to mention that bluerays are damn expensive to buy.

Obviously a ten euro blue rah player is a bargain for non techie folk but if you have any tech experience then you probably already know about and are running Plex on some device.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Tinie wrote: »
    Ever since I found out about Plex I have no need for Any dvds or blu rays. It costs about €20 in total to get a box to run Plex and assuming you have a laptop or android phone or Xbox or whatever, your all set. Its possibly the easiest and cheapest way to view films and the user interface is amazing for an open source program. Not to mention that bluerays are damn expensive to buy.

Obviously a ten euro blue rah player is a bargain for non techie folk but if you have any tech experience then you probably already know about and are running Plex on some device.

Ok......

Well what if you want to watch something in 9.2, 7.1 or 5.1 surround sound?

What if you want HD?

What if you don't want to be waiting for something to buffer?

What if you have a top notch tv and don't want to watch stuff in your laptop?

What if you already have an extensive DVD and BR collection and want to watch those?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Ok......

Well what if you want to watch something in 9.2, 7.1 or 5.1 surround sound?

What if you want HD?

What if you don't want to be waiting for something to buffer?

What if you have a top notch tv and don't want to watch stuff in your laptop?

What if you already have an extensive DVD and BR collection and want to watch those?

Plex can play files in true surround sound. Plex can play 1080p files. You hook up your Plex box to the TV via hdmi like a blue ray player. There's in no buffering if its on a home network. I have an big enough collection of DVDs but am in the process of shifting them to the parents gaff. No need for them anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

Gonna pop in tomorrow and have a butchers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Metroid diorteM

Plex can play files in true surround sound. Plex can play 1080p files. You hook up your Plex box to the TV via hdmi like a blue ray player. There's in no buffering if its on a home network. I have an big enough collection of DVDs but am in the process of shifting them to the parents gaff. No need for them anymore.

I had a look and plex seems better setup for pirates than consumers tbh?

I've no respect for people who would buy media until stealing becomes an option.

I pay for digital media, but physical protects the consumer as well as the artist. Cloud media can disappear at the flick of a switch and sharing apps screw artists over.

So don't slag Blu ray buyers please. We pay for the content pirates leech.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Hugh Cream

The days of hoarding physical copies, weather it be CD, DVD or Blu Ray are gone.
    Streaming is the way ahead, weather it be on plex or through apple.

But hey if you want to support little old hmv, the shop that ripped us off for years, and continue to do so, who am I to argue.

Hugh Cream wrote: »
    The days of hoarding physical copies, weather it be CD, DVD or Blu Ray are gone.
    Streaming is the way ahead, weather it be on plex or through apple.

But hey if you want to support little old hmv, the shop that ripped us off for years, and continue to do so, who am I to argue.

Stop talking ****e

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

What deal are they doing on blu rays ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,079 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

It's not the same company, Hilco bought out both Xtravision and HMV last year and have redone them both as a hybrid store, this is not the old HMV and if I have to say that again I will appear out of your home screen and Grimm Reaper you, whom ever you may be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 noname123

Just to say that the Blue-Ray player for 10€ yesterday is internet connected

• Registered Users Posts: 18,079 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Anyone is in the when they open today can you update here if the issue with accepting gift cards is over, please.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Anyone is in the when they open today can you update here if the issue with accepting gift cards is over, please.
    Have you heard of a telephone?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

I can stream stuff on my network, and watch Bluray/DVDs from my Bluray player. So a 10 euro bluray player would be worthwhile investment, even for some who primarily streams stuff from there home network, or the Internet. Not only do they get that stuff, they also get to play Blurays/DVDs.

Physical media is not dead just yet, its certainly on its way out, but the fact remains that quality wise, Bluray is still better than what you can stream/download.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 liddypool

I will pop in for a look but not expecting much if the damp squib of the Henry St reopening is anything to go by e.g less stock same prices

I like Dundrum HMV

Fit staff ;)

Advertisement