Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What was the most shocking moment in WWE/F or WCW history?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Just thinking about this, The Screwjob is probably the moment which had the most long term impact on the business. It was arguably the moment where kayfabe was forever broken. It brought Vince to the fore as Mr McMahon rather than the glad handling commentator and it can be said it helped start the Monday Night Wars.

Whether it was "shocking" per se is another story. I'd imagine many in the arena that night did not realise what had happened as it happened. Whereas last night, well, that impact was immediate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭John Cherry

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    I still didn't suss it, even as 'Taker was hoisted up for a 3rd F5 I was going 'man, they're really killing Lesnar here with Kickout-a-mania'.

If Taker did kick out of that 3rd F5 it would have really have made Brock look weak and kill of his monster heel persona.

The fans then would have not believed he was this larger then life character and would not buy into it anymore.

If Taker kicked out of it and then went onto win the match that would have just buried Brock altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

Was gonna pick Taker's streak but it's still so fresh in my mind that I think it's just a knee jerk reaction. Foley's bumps for me, to any of my friends tht say oh wrestling is fake I show them that and my other friends that were wrestling fans but aren't anymore still talk about it when wrestling is bought up in conversation. In a few ways those two bumps define my love of wrestling as a child. It was so gruesome, violent, spectacular and mesmerising all at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭John Cherry

Was gonna pick Taker's streak but it's still so fresh in my mind that I think it's just a knee jerk reaction. Foley's bumps for me, to any of my friends tht say oh wrestling is fake I show them that and my other friends that were wrestling fans but aren't anymore still talk about it when wrestling is bought up in conversation. In a few ways those two bumps define my love of wrestling as a child. It was so gruesome, violent, spectacular and mesmerising all at the same time.

I just watched that match on VHS the other day.

Those were the days :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Foley is just a mad bastard that went way beyond he had to just to get fans onside. I'm pretty sure too he said himself that the bump he took at KOTR 98, while classic, hardly got him over. It was his comedy stuff afterwards that did.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

As I said on the podcast, other moments might have been bigger or had more of an effect like Vince buying WCW or the montreal screwjob / Hogans heel turn but I was more shocked by The Streak ending in the way it did and to who it did than by any of them, I was like wow oh my god etc when they happened but I believed it was happening while with 21-1, I was literally in disbelief and trying to work out if it really had happened for a while,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭cena

Bounty do make podcast

cena wrote: »
    Bounty do make podcast

not sure what you mean but Moneymaker will most likely post the link to this weeks one tonight or tommorow

• Registered Users Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭cena

not sure what you mean but Moneymaker will most likely post the link to this weeks one tonight or tommorow

I mean a podcast show.

cena wrote: »
    I mean a podcast show.

Thats what I was refering to also; Myself , Moneymaker, Mrkiscool, HashtagHeel & Beaker joe this week discussed Mania etc in the 5th episode of the recently brought back Boards.ie PW podcast

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Takers streak for me too. After the three count happened I was convinced it was a false finish, that another ref was going to come out and over rule the three count for something ridiculous reason!

They should have teased the streak ending previously with false finishes to play with the crowds emotions haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Finding out Konnan used to be Max Moon is up there.

The Streak ending hit me with shock that an event hasn't hit me in years. As shocking as Vince buying WCW was, it was just still something people read when they find out, seeing something happen in a match is more shocking IMO. Having seen a lot of dross over the past few years, along with some good too, it's good to see WWE is prepared to pull out something like that which genuinely shocks in this time of 'self admittance' of it not all being real etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 rickydreamboat

Most shocking moment.... Surely it's gotta be Triple H jerking the curtain at WM30 and losing clean to Bryan. ;)

But, personally I'd probably go with Austin turning heel at WM X-7. Austin was the MAN at the time, I seen no reason for him to turn heel. In fact, he was needed as a face because they didn't elevate Jericho and Benoit (which would have made sense) to fill the void left by The Rock leaving and the main face turning. The subsequent two man power trip versus Taker and Kane was the opposite of entertaining. Actually, I think that period started a downfall that they haven't fully recovered from, creatively.

Taker's Streak shocked me at the time, but it needed to happen. An unbeaten Streak within a pre-determined sport accomplishes nothing from a business perspective. The whole idea of wrestling is to consistently establish new stars. Now, I realise Brock isn't a 'new star' but HBK retired Flair, Taker retired HBK and now presumably Brock retired Taker. Brock is now a special attraction again and monster heel. So, when he is beaten again, the next star will get a rub. And so the cycle continues. I never bought the idea that a rising star should beat Taker 1 on 1.

• Site Banned Posts: 433 ✭✭Donegal Dan

But, personally I'd probably go with Austin turning heel at WM X-7. Austin was the MAN at the time, I seen no reason for him to turn heel. In fact, he was needed as a face because they didn't elevate Jericho and Benoit (which would have made sense) to fill the void left by The Rock leaving and the main face turning. The subsequent two man power trip versus Taker and Kane was the opposite of entertaining. Actually, I think that period started a downfall that they haven't fully recovered from, creatively.

Austin has said if he'd go back he'd have never have turned heel and Jim Cornette pinpoints the minutes before the finish to the match as the exact moment that WWE peaked.

Then again Cornette doesnt like anything in wrestling past 1997 :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

This guy Okada returning to New Japan after a disaster run in TNA and winning the IWGP Heavyweight title his second match back:
    okada4.jpg

Everyone thought New Japan had lost it but Okada grew into the role pretty much instantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

Taker is/was supposed to do a podcast with SCSA, anyone know if/when this is happening?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

Degag wrote: »
    Taker is/was supposed to do a podcast with SCSA, anyone know if/when this is happening?

I haven't seen a date but Shawn Michaels is on Jim Ross this week to talk about the Taker/Lesnar finish. He was sitting at guerilla position with HHH and Vince.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭the blunder years

For me it has to be stone cold leaving in 2002, the burial of stone cold looking back was terrible. To think this guy was the biggest star of wrestling and be treated like that. Also have to say at the time I was only 11, I knew wrestling wasn't real but didn't know about backstage politics and all that.

Austin has said if he'd go back he'd have never have turned heel and Jim Cornette pinpoints the minutes before the finish to the match as the exact moment that WWE peaked.

Then again Cornette doesnt like anything in wrestling past 1997 :pac:

Cornette still has a hard time believing it's not 1988 anymore and that the midnight express aren't the biggest draw in the south anymore. I like Cornette but he is so old school to a fault.

Cornette still has a hard time believing it's not 1988 anymore and that the midnight express aren't the biggest draw in the south anymore. I like Cornette but he is so old school to a fault.

To the point that I dont think he'll ever get a decent job in wrestling again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

The lack of maven throwing taker out of the rumble astounds me.

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    The lack of maven throwing taker out of the rumble astounds me.

:confused:

Did that really happen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Did that really happen?

Not sure which rumble, possibly 2002. Taker was in the ring with both Hardys , he eventually throws them out(i think lita gets chokeslamed aswell). They distract him and maven kicks him the face and knocks him out. I think taker then beats the living **** out of him after.

Did that really happen?

Yup Taker was taunting somebody on the outside, Maven then dropkicked him over the top and then Taker comes back gets Maven and choleslammed through a table. In 2003 they did a repeat of that incident only this time Taker didn't go over the top and Maven is going crazy thinking he had eliminated Taker again. Taker then eliminates Maven , really good spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

The Montreal screw job for me,I loved Brett.what's the c.m punk incident being referred to?

Aiel wrote: »
    The Montreal screw job for me,I loved Brett.what's the c.m punk incident being referred to?

CM Punk walked out of the company back in January while still under contract and hasn't been on tv since, also his contract runs out in July I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

Thanks, any idea why he walked out?
    Also, Stone Cold shaking Vince's hand and having him help him win the belt was pretty unexpected I think. If I'm not mistaken it happened in Austin's home town too.

Aiel wrote: »
    Thanks, any idea why he walked out?
    Also, Stone Cold shaking Vince's hand and having him help him win the belt was pretty unexpected I think. If I'm not mistaken it happened in Austin's home town too.

Unhappy with creative, body pretty broken down and also he wasn't happy not knowing how the network was going to affect his pay.
    Wrestlemania 17 by far the best PPV ever, I think it was his home state rather than home town but my god everybody was in shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Wrestlemania 17 by far the best PPV ever, I think it was his home state rather than home town but my god everybody was in shock.

A shame it absolutly bombed. If I'm not mistaken, Austin has since said he regrets the turn.

• Advertisement

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    A shame it absolutly bombed. If I'm not mistaken, Austin has since said he regrets the turn.

Austin regrets it, kind of pissed away all the capital he built up should have stunned McMahon. Have to say admire his bravery for doing it creatively, but a couple of months when the invasion happened horrendous stuff.

Advertisement