Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Exam Repeat Query...

• 02-09-2013 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi there,

If you a fail a summer exam (this query isn't for me, honestly!) and then you fail the repeat examination of that subject, what are your options then? Must you repeat the full year? Also, what fees would be involved? I have a sister starting in the college this year and she is worried about her level of Irish.

Thanks
    R

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

If you failed, lets say Irish, then you can repeat just the module you failed for a semester.

So while everyone else progresses to 2nd year, you would go in for the 2 or 3 hours in the week when that 1st year module is on.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭roisin24

Thanks Shamrock,

And how much would that cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Jenly3

its like 500 per subject you repeat

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

She's getting WAY ahead of herself if she's worrying about failing exams before she even starts the course. If she puts the effort in during the semester she'll have nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 hannabanna007

Hi posting on behalf on my daughter, she just told me that in simester 1 she did badly(presuming she failed) and simester 2's results were a B2, C3, A2 and two subjects graded F, she thinks this will mean she will have to repeat yr1 or somehow do a "link". Perhaps someone could advise what this would mean and also with regard to her grant. Should have said this was her first year and was hoping to progress to second. Not great I know but would welcome some advice, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep MISU Office

Hi posting on behalf on my daughter, she just told me that in simester 1 she did badly(presuming she failed) and simester 2's results were a B2, C3, A2 and two subjects graded F, she thinks this will mean she will have to repeat yr1 or somehow do a "link". Perhaps someone could advise what this would mean and also with regard to her grant. Should have said this was her first year and was hoping to progress to second. Not great I know but would welcome some advice, thanks.

Hi hannabanna007

First of all before she get's into repeating years options etc can you get her to check what her residual QCA for the year is? This will give a better indication of the next step she must take. Her residual QCA will appear on the top of her portal screen under progression information.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Does anyone know wha QCS stands for? Im just looking at the full student transcript.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

This explains it. I still don't really understand it but you might! :p
    QCS (Quality Credit Score) = (QPV*Credit*Factor)
    For the purpose of calculating QCA scores, most modules are given a weighting, which is referred to as a
    credit on your transcript. Modules are predominately allocated a credit of 3, or a multiple of 3. Your QPV score for a particular module is multiplied by the module credit value (e.g. 3) and multiplied by the factor to give what's known as your quality credit score (QCS) for that module. Your QCA for each semester is calculated on the basis of the sum of all your QCSs within that semester. Your overall QCA at any given time (your cumulative QCA) is based on your total QCSs to date (excluding part 1 scores where applicable).

Advertisement