Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I am insomniac AGAIN. Anyone else still up?

Yup. Contemplating bed but not there yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 brayguy

I am insomniac AGAIN. Anyone else still up?
    yeah,i'm still up,went to bed at 2...got up about an hour ago

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Was feeling really low yesterday, luckily not as bad now, however I've to see the company doctor later, it's to do with my depression but that's all I know about it, I presume it's to cover their ass and say that I am fit enough to work (the truth is I'm good enough at hiding what going in, putting my head down and surviving nine hours in work). I'm dreading meeting them, but trying to make it sound ok by saying well, it's an afternoon off work.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭talullah

How long have you been on the tabs?

These ones for only nearly a month, I know they take a while to actually work but it's so hard to keep making yourself hold on, just dont want to do anything anymore, only reason i'm still going to work is because I have to pay the mortgage...my boss was understanding at first but now he's being a right a**h*le which really doesnt help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

well i felt more physically able to get up this morning, so I did. and I'm just back from an hour long walk. don't feel any better for it, but I don't like feeling i've let other peoples mood affect me, so I said feck it and went. looking forward to longer evenings, so I don't have to be stuck inside all evening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Struggling right now :( really, really struggling :( I need her. I need her quite badly right now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

talullah wrote: »
    These ones for only nearly a month, I know they take a while to actually work but it's so hard to keep making yourself hold on, just dont want to do anything anymore, only reason i'm still going to work is because I have to pay the mortgage...my boss was understanding at first but now he's being a right a**h*le which really doesnt help.

Are you eating right? I know it's hard to take care of yourself when you're really depressed, but that really helped me.

cloud493 wrote: »
    Struggling right now :( really, really struggling :( I need her. I need her quite badly right now.

Cloud your thoughts will reflect back to you how you feel. If you keep thinking you miss some-one you will keep missing them.

Try to change your thoughts. Just try to think the following once, even if it's not what you are feeling the minute, humour me,: "I am happy, content, and at peace with myself".

Your thoughts are very powerful things.

I just need her to be here. Thanks though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

Not having a good day today :( Woke up with the fear as if I'd been drinking last night. Haven't done much :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭talullah

Are you eating right? I know it's hard to take care of yourself when you're really depressed, but that really helped me.

Well i am and I'm not, when i'm left to myself I don't bother with meals too much but my OH tries to keep on top of things..i should be thankful for him really because without him i dont even want to think what state I'd be in right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Bad day:(

I normally try to help people on here. But I'm having a terrible day today. I feel like I'm crazy, I feel like I'm dying.

I normally try to help people on here. But I'm having a terrible day today. I feel like I'm crazy, I feel like I'm dying.

What's up?

cloud493 wrote: »
    What's up?

Just had a really abnormal life, and am isolating myself and shutting myself away, and thinking I'm not normal and will I ever have a normal life. Awful thoughts in my head. Pushing everyone away until I'll have no friends left. Really isolating myself. Thinking I'm terrible and not as good as anyone else.

Just had a really abnormal life, and am isolating myself and shutting myself away, and thinking I'm not normal and will I ever have a normal life. Awful thoughts in my head. Pushing everyone away until I'll have no friends left. Really isolating myself. Thinking I'm terrible and not as good as anyone else.

Well you will be, if thats what you want. And you are good as anyone else, otherwise you wouldn't be here.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Kaching

Pushing everyone away until I'll have no friends left. Really isolating myself. Thinking I'm terrible and not as good as anyone else.

thats me in a nutshell

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

@ midlandsmissus - a lot of that sounds familiar to me at the moment, after my big wake up call last weekend i've felt like a ball of s***e, negative self image completely taken over. Unrelated health problems acting up the last few days too, badly tonight so am feeling very sorry for myself, and then resenting that! :o I hope you manage to sleep and feel less like that in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Gutted I couldn't make Noel Gallaghers gig last night, Im a super hardcore fan but I was just not well enough to travel up to Dublin:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

Lorna, ease up on the judgements please.

if you think that depression is just people "allowing" themselves feel bad, not using their ability and "taking the easy way out" then you have a lot to learn.

if you stick around you might learn something from this thread, but don't post here in that manner again. /modnote

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Kaching

sam34 wrote: »
    Lorna, ease up on the judgements please.
    Thank god someone said it before I lost it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Lorna123

Deepest apologies for offending anyone here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Lorna123 wrote: »
    Deepest apologies for offending anyone here.

I read your earlier post and thought it was harsh but figured on giving you the benefit of the doubt. Depending on how bad someone's depression is, actually getting out of bed some days can be a massive achievement so the thought of getting out of the house and doing something just isn't going to happen.
    I will say in fairness though, I know I often don't feel like doing anything on my days off, I often force myself to head out to the gym and do feel better for doing it, but to put it in perspective even the idea of getting out the door puts me off (all I have to do is throw my gym gear in a bag and put on a coat).

Gillo wrote: »
    I read your earlier post and thought it was harsh but figured on giving you the benefit of the doubt. Depending on how bad someone's depression is, actually getting out of bed some days can be a massive achievement so the thought of getting out of the house and doing something just isn't going to happen.
    I will say in fairness though, I know I often don't feel like doing anything on my days off, I often force myself to head out to the gym and do feel better for doing it, but to put it in perspective even the idea of getting out the door puts me off (all I have to do is throw my gym gear in a bag and put on a coat).

See the thing is Gillo that I never meant any harm to anyone here, I was just saying what works for me. I had hoped that someone might be able to learn from my experience but obviously this does not work for everyone. I am no expert and I can only relate what my experiences are. Thank you for posting, you have helped me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭jammstarr

Lorna123 wrote: »
    See the thing is Gillo that I never meant any harm to anyone here, I was just saying what works for me. I had hoped that someone might be able to learn from my experience but obviously this does not work for everyone. I am no expert and I can only relate what my experiences are. Thank you for posting, you have helped me.

Are you affected by depression or anxiety?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 I love Cake

Hi all,
    I'm currently in the midst of my final year in college but am plagued by incessant depression. I was unable to leave bed last week and have come pretty close to ending it. As you can imagine this is having a detrimental effect on my college work. Do any of ye have experience of telling your tutors or course heads of your daily turmoil. Is it worth telling them? Were they understanding? Would there be a chance of getting deadlines put back?
    Cheers and keep fighting:)

She came back :3 thank god. It doesn't hurt as much <3

jammstarr wrote: »
    Are you affected by depression or anxiety?

I most certainly am and from time to time I can't function but I find that the best thing for me is to force myself to get up and get out even though it requires an effort. When I give in to doing nothing I am worse off. This may not work for everyone though. I do appreciate that everyone is different. I am not advocating that this will work for everyone either, I am just saying what my experience has been. Not asking anyone to agree with me either, just giving my two cents worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,815 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Hi all,
    I'm currently in the midst of my final year in college but am plagued by incessant depression. I was unable to leave bed last week and have come pretty close to ending it. As you can imagine this is having a detrimental effect on my college work. Do any of ye have experience of telling your tutors or course heads of your daily turmoil. Is it worth telling them? Were they understanding? Would there be a chance of getting deadlines put back?

Happened to me in my final year too and the lecturers were very understanding. No prodding or poking from them. This was all with the help of the college counsellor too so I recommend going to see them. They can email your lecturers without divulging any information. I also got her to sign off a letter I wrote to the head of department to defer my Final Year Project which was accepted. That was a lot of weight off my shoulders. The lecturers were lenient enough with deadlines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Hi all,

I had the same problem my final year. I didn't have too many assignments though and managed to complete the few I a had. I did defer exams till the summer repeats though, I had a doctor's not to say I was suffering from stress and anxiety and it was accepted no questions asked.

If you have deadlines I would assume they are understanding. I don't think there would be any harm in talking to them, worse thing they can do is keep the current deadlines. So I think you should try at least.

Does your college have a counselling service? Might be worth giving it a shot, nothing to lose really. :)

Good luck with the study! I worked through my depression final year and miraculously got a 1.1. You can do really great to it you try and fight it. You seem to have the right attitude anyway, knowing what you should do to cope with the workload.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement