Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Co-habiting, €10/wk, pee'd off

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 lizeob

katie86 wrote: »
    Hi All,
    Im 23 and living with my boyfriend. I finished college in May and worked until the end of December when my contract ended. When i called to the dole office i discovered i didn't have enough PRSI contributions from last year to qualify for jobseekers benefit, so have been 'means tested' for Jobseekers Allowance.

It turns out I'm only entitled to about €10 a week, as my boyfriends salary was taken into account and he is now expected to support me, he earns about €600 a week. However none of his outgoings were means tested, child maintenance, car loan, bills,rent, pension etc., so how can they know he's able to support me?. I'm entitled to no rent allowance either.

The welfare officer told me I was "lucky" to have an income coming into the household at all. I expalined to him that I was entitled to none of my boyfriends income, and that in no way was he obliged to support me. When I did work I payed half of everything.

As I'm 23, to the best of my knowledge, even if I go to live with my Mum, her income will be taken into account and the 'benefit and privilege criteria' will come into play.

I feel like the welfare are trying to pawn me off to whoever I can sponge off, and as an Irish citizen I feel they are completley ignoring my dignity.

I feel there is something very wrong with the system, and that my age group in my situation have fallen through the cracks.

I'm heading back to the welfare office in the morn too clarify everything so will keep u posted.

Is there anyone else in a similar situation to myself, and has anyone taken it to their local TDs etc.?

Thanks for reading,Any advice is appreciated!

Hey rly sory about ur situation. I think the exact same is going to happen to me. The system is screwed up. Dont mean to be disciminating against foreigners or blacks, but they are the ones who are spnging off the government. thare getting all of the taxpayers money and sending it home. The Irish government need to start waking up

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement