Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Internet not working on laptop in one room but working on other laptops?

Options
  • 04-10-2012 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭

My internet speed(if it connects at all) is only around 1mb/s in my room but in other rooms it's over 20mb/s. I thought there was just an issue with my room but on the other laptops in the house it's over 20mb/s in my room too.

Any idea on what could be wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

It's probable that you have a different wireless network card in your machine that isn't as good as the others.
    You might need something like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-WPA281-Powerline-Extender-Wireless-Access/dp/B0067GS0YO/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1349365740&sr=8-7

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

yeppydeppy wrote: »
    It's probable that you have a different wireless network card in your machine that isn't as good as the others.
    You might need something like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-WPA281-Powerline-Extender-Wireless-Access/dp/B0067GS0YO/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1349365740&sr=8-7

But it's much newer than the other laptops. Wouldn't that mean it's better?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Not necessarily. And some new Atheros WLAN adapters (used in many off the rails OEM machines) are outright crap. ;)

If you're lucky, your laptop has a service hatch for the WLAN adapter, replace it with an Intel Centrino adpter (~ 30 yoyos)

How would I check that?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Well first of all tell us your laptop's make and model.

It could be a neighbouring wifi signal on the same channel.

It could even be an issue relating to metallic insulation blocking the signal form your wireless router.

• Advertisement

It's a HP Pavilion dv6.

Could it have been damaged or something? It was away to get to keyboard fixed although it was eircom before it always worked fine anywhere in the house - but we got UPC last week so today is my first time using UPC on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭seanmacc

I take it you have reset the network adapter (wifi) adapter on your laptop in the network and sharing center. My old Dell needed this done constantly, could also just need new drivers.

alroley wrote: »
    Could it have been damaged or something? It was away to get to keyboard fixed although it was eircom before it always worked fine anywhere in the house - but we got UPC last week so today is my first time using UPC on it.

Yeah possibly, the cables connecting the wifi card, which on some machines are just under the keyboard, to the antennae in the screen are tiny and could be dislodged by a clumsy technician.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Torqay wrote: »
    Not necessarily. And some new Atheros WLAN adapters (used in many off the rails OEM machines) are outright crap. ;)

They aren't crap, the problem is bad driver. The WHQL certified one that windows installs doesn't work properly with wifi N (and probably has other bugs). If you manually install the latest driver it will work fine. Maybe unrelated to the OPs problem tho...

Advertisement