Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DCM Class of 2011- the continuing challenge

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Because I got nothing done this week would it be advisable to do and 7 or 8 miles during the week or would I better off just doing the shorter ones and taper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Dave I would love to call a sub2 half a training run :D I think maybe just do the shorter runs this week and taper you don't want to over do it before Saturday especially if you haven't been well. Well that's what I would
    Do but as you know I am no expert and someone with more experience can advise you better. :)

Legs feel very fresh so maybe with another weeks rest I could try for a 1.49. Maybe getting sick was a blessing ;).
    Yeah Nules I was thinking the same

Are you looking forward to it. How are you feeling?

Yeah I am looking forward to it now. Was glad to have something to
    Focus on after the marathon. I think I will leave the sub2 attempt till the new year though. Not sure my legs are 100% ready for a sub2 attempt on Saturday but you know yourself when you are lined up we always have to give it a bash ;)

Same as, once you line up you start of like a mad hatter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭run44

Name|Sessions|Distance|Total|Comments|
    BobMac104|||51m||
    Younganne|4|15|54m|I had a good week & delighted with my maiden voyage yesterday in the JingleBells:D didn't run Thur but ran 5m today instead, even managed to do the stride correctly this week|
    red face dave|1|2|46.5m|Sick all week only got one session done and that was only 2 miles today. Hope to have a good week and then Waterford next weekend
    Nules10 |||64|
    Conseng|||27m|
    run44|2|13m|28.5m|Slowly building up mileage again. Hoping for a better week this week.|
    shazkea|||34m|
    KittyMittens|||24.5m||
    Cutex|||26.5m|
    sunflowerro|||61.0|
    Jimh|||20| |
    Kit3 |||20.8|

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭conseng

BobMac104|||51m||
    Younganne|4|15|54m|I had a good week & delighted with my maiden voyage yesterday in the JingleBells:D didn't run Thur but ran 5m today instead, even managed to do the stride correctly this week|
    red face dave|1|2|46.5m|Sick all week only got one session done and that was only 2 miles today. Hope to have a good week and then Waterford next weekend
    Nules10 |||64|
    Conseng|6|32|59m|Good week last week, legs felt great, just recovered from DCM now I think.
    run44|2|13m|28.5m|Slowly building up mileage again. Hoping for a better week this week.|
    shazkea|||34m|
    KittyMittens|||24.5m||
    Cutex|||26.5m|
    sunflowerro|||61.0|
    Jimh|||20| |
    Kit3 |||20.8|

BobMac104|||51m||
    Nules10 |4|20.5|84.5|Roll on waterford half so i can take it easy for a few weeks :)
    Conseng|6|32|59m|Good week last week, legs felt great, just recovered from DCM now I think.
    shazkea|||34m|
    KittyMittens|||24.5m||
    Cutex|||26.5m|
    sunflowerro|||61.0|
    Jimh|||20| |
    Kit3 |||20.8|

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

BobMac104|6|36|51m|a good solid week. big relief. |
    Nules10 |4|20.5|84.5|Roll on waterford half so i can take it easy for a few weeks :)
    shazkea|||34m|
    KittyMittens|||24.5m||
    Cutex|||26.5m|
    sunflowerro|||61.0|
    Jimh|||20| |
    Kit3 |||20.8|

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Hey Folks.

Congrats to everyone who raced at the weekend. Looking through the results the weather seem to impact on times a fair bit so you will be delighted to know there is more in the tank.

Here is this weeks plan

|Mon|Tue|Wed|Thur|Fri|Sat|Sun|
    |Rest|5m|30minwith hard intervals*|5m|rest|60mins|Cross

* I want you running this all continuous with the following pattern

4min easy pace, 1 min @ 5k pace, 4 min easy pace etc

The idea with this session is to get your body used to running at 5k pace without being so taxing that you are exhausted. The idea of quality sessions is to make your body as efficient as possible running at higher paces and as such it is always progressive. This is why you will see many runners see huge improvements at first and yet continue to chip away at times for years (I am running 14 years myself and I am still hitting PBs fairly regularly.

For you people runnning waterford this weekend here is the plan I want you going by

|Mon|Tue|Wed|Thur|Fri|Sat|Sun|
    |Rest|1m easy, 1 mile HM, 1 Mile easy|2m |rest|10 min recovery|Race|OFF

The recovery pace I want you running roughly 90 sec per mile slower than you would on your normal easy runs. This should feel like you are absolutely crawling around and could even be a struggle to run this slow but you would be suprised of the benefits you will get from this. Many people think that a day off the day before a race/ hard session allows your body to be fresh but if you do a short run at a really slow pace you increase the bloodflow in the body. This allows your body to flush out waste in the muscles and also increase the ability to distribute nurtients to the muscles in the body.

This is a method used by runners from a wide range of abilities. I run my recovery pace @ roughly 9 min miles even though I am closer to 7 min on my easy pace and likewise I know sub 68/2.20 Half marathon/ marathon runners who it is not uncommon to run recovery pace up around 8 min mile pace

Best of luck to all running in Waterford I am running myself so hopefully will bump into some of you and give you a cheer on at some stage

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

shazkea|3|15|49m|something came up last minute so had to miss Jingle - will look around for another 5km that suits
    KittyMittens|||24.5m||
    Cutex|||26.5m|
    sunflowerro|||61.0|
    Jimh|||20| |
    Kit3 |||20.8|

Thanks E.coli you da man.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭KittyMittens

shazkea|3|15|49m|something came up last minute so had to miss Jingle - will look around for another 5km that suits
    KittyMittens|2|10|34.5m|Same as last week, not enough miles, must try harder :)|
    Cutex|||26.5m|
    sunflowerro|||61.0|
    Jimh|||20| |
    Kit3 |||20.8|

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Here is this weeks plan

Mon Tue Wed Thur Fri Sat Sun
    Rest 5m 30minwith hard intervals* 5m rest 60mins Cross

* I want you running this all continuous with the following pattern

4min easy pace, 1 min @ 5k pace, 4 min easy pace etc

this sounds like fun...now just need to figure out how to set the Garmin to intervals so i don't have to keep looking down at it.!!!;)
    Thanks Ecoli....

BobMac104|6|36|87m|a good solid week. big relief. |
    KittyMittens|2|10|34.5m|Same as last week, not enough miles, must try harder :)|
    Cutex|||26.5m|
    sunflowerro|||61.0|
    Jimh|||20| |
    Kit3 |||20.8|

just fixing my bit

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

Cutex|||26.5m|
    sunflowerro|5|28|89.0|Enjoying the miles again....
    Jimh|||20| |
    Kit3 |||20.8|

Well I went for my first real run since been sick. Was supposed to be 2 miles easy and one quick one

1 9:27.7 1.00
    2 7:52.2 1.00
    3 8:28.7 0.94

I managed to break the 8 minute mark felt good. Probably did it to quick but was feeling very fresh and felt bad for doing nothing last week.

Well I went for my first real run since been sick. Was supposed to be 2 miles easy and one quick one

1 9:27.7 1.00
    2 7:52.2 1.00
    3 8:28.7 0.94

I managed to break the 8 minute mark felt good. Probably did it to quick but was feeling very fresh and felt bad for doing nothing last week.

Ohhhh look at you with your speedy 2nd mile :) good to see you are back on form rest did you good

Swear Nules I never thought I could run that fast I was fairly tired after it. I think the rest did me good alright. Legs felt good after.

Swear Nules I never thought I could run that fast I was fairly tired after it. I think the rest did me good alright. Legs felt good after.

Ah it's a great feeling alright. Although I would not know what a sub 8min/mile felt like I would probably vomit after it. Have you revised you plan so for Saturday ;)

• Advertisement

I was thinking about earlier but no I think I will take it easy going out that night so I want to be able to walk and have a few pints and not fall asleep. It been ages since I had a good night out.

But saying that a few friends are running it so I wont let them beat me without putting up a fight.:)

I was thinking about earlier but no I think I will take it easy going out that night so I want to be able to walk and have a few pints and not fall asleep. It been ages since I had a good night out.

But saying that a few friends are running it so I wont let them beat me without putting up a fight.:)

mee thinks the second option will win out:D
    anyway the faster you run the less drink you will need to have a good night out:D:D
    Dave i hope you will take the rest of the runs easy this week or your legs will be wrecked for Saturday

Nules how are you feeling about Saturday? are you going to try for the sub 2hr...

went for an easy 5m today and i was delight to see that i kept the HR under 160 and managed to get the ave pace udner 10min...to me that means that all this training is paying off and my aerobic health is getting better...

Im looking forward to tomorrows plan of 4min easy 1min 5k pace ( i now have a 5k pace( 8min:rolleyes:) x 6 times...i will have to do it on the treadmil as im not in work tomorrow and i have noone to mind the little one while the other 2 are in school and can't go out before 7 or after 6 when OH gets home:eek:

Younganne wrote: »
    mee thinks the second option will win out:D
    anyway the faster you run the less drink you will need to have a good night out:D:D
    Dave i hope you will take the rest of the runs easy this week or your legs will be wrecked for Saturday

Nules how are you feeling about Saturday? are you going to try for the sub 2hr...

went for an easy 5m today and i was delight to see that i kept the HR under 160 and managed to get the ave pace udner 10min...to me that means that all this training is paying off and my aerobic health is getting better...

Im looking forward to tomorrows plan of 4min easy 1min 5k pace ( i now have a 5k pace( 8min:rolleyes:) x 6 times...i will have to do it on the treadmil as im not in work tomorrow and i have noone to mind the little one while the other 2 are in school and can't go out before 7 or after 6 when OH gets home:eek:

Very true Anne quicker I go the less drink I will need:). The rest of my runs will be ran at 9.30 to 10.00 minute pace for this week.
    I can see the second option winning out as well. Looking forward to the weekend now hope the weather is kind. And I will get to meet a few from here as a bonus:D

not sure what to do anne for saturday. Decide on the day i suppose. Sub2 prpbably not but sure we will see. I am very good at not committing to a time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Cutex

Cutex|1|3|29.5m|bad week-leg playing up, did JB but leg really bad after, RICE & physio for me at the moment :(
    sunflowerro|5|28|89.0|Enjoying the miles again....
    Jimh|||20| |
    Kit3 |||20.8|

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Cutex

Well I'm out of action at the moment and it's killing me!!! Am dying to get out for a run but really need to get my leg healed up or could lead to runners knee :eek:

I did the Jingle Bells run with my son though and that was brilliant. Just took it easy cause he's a sprinter and has only done a couple of longer distances with me. He did so well though at 27 mins and even sprinted the last 100m, couldn't catch him at all.

Hope to be back to regular running soon, hoping for a garmin for Xmas so will be running out the door if I get it:D

Congrats to all who did Jingle Bells - great times and PBs!

Good luck on Saturday to nules10 & Dave

Cutex wrote: »
    Well I'm out of action at the moment and it's killing me!!! Am dying to get out for a run but really need to get my leg healed up or could lead to runners knee :eek:

Hope to be back to regular running soon, hoping for a garmin for Xmas so will be running out the door if I get it:D

Cutex mind yourself you don't want a bigger injury to happen. Well done on doing the Jinglebells and you injured.

Will you be gone running at 6 am on 25th when the kids are opening the presents;)...don't think i'll get out for a run on 25th too much to do..but will definitely get out on 24th & 26th....

didn't get to do my run yesterday after all so heaading out now at lunch, TG the wind and rain have died down!!!:eek:

Nules10 wrote: »
    not sure what to do anne for saturday. Decide on the day i suppose. Sub2 prpbably not but sure we will see. I am very good at not committing to a time :D

probably the best approach. Hope the weather is kind to you.

I think only you and Dave doing it from here...or are there any others doing it???

sorry to hear that cutex. hope your back running asap

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Good luck to Dave and Nules doing Waterford. The weather today reminds me of conditions last year :eek:. Hope it clears up by Sat

Advertisement