Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB Saorview receiver ($7.40 delivered)

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

I got it today and installed the drivers/software off the CD.

The bundled software on the mini-cd plays the channels smoothly but the quality is poor.

When scanning you won't get any hits until about 60%. It's from about frequency 735000 upwards that you'll hit the channels.

When I load up Windows Media Centre the quality is much sharper but the RTE channels constantly jump. 3e is perfect like. Most likely signal-related but it's a weird/annoying. Still well impressed for a fiver though. When I have time to run a better antenna feed it should be perfect.

Thanks OP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

I got what looks like the same thing on the Dealextreme black Monday deals for half price. Should the lights light up when I plug it in? I installed the drivers and the blade software from the mini tv. Can't find any channels in the software or windows media player... the red light flashed momentarilt once but the green one never does.... I'm pretty sure it's not a reception issue as don't even get a trace of a signal... and in my tv i could get a pretty decent signal with no aerial plugged in at all! (indoor nor outdoor).

It comes up as DVB T2 Keyboard in my devices? this normal? windows 7 ultimate 64 bit by the way.. wondering is something wrong with the device or just the operator!

FYI mine has a blue light and it only comes on when I open HDTV Deluxe Player or Windows Media Centre - ie when it's actually in use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭loopymum

Glenviewjf wrote: »
    I use one of these:

[HTML]http://www.ebay.ie/itm/RF-Coaxial-MCX-TV-Antenna-Cable-Adaptor-DVB-T-DVBT-/180550379298?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a09a42722[/HTML]

To connect it to the aerial on the roof as the little aerial is pointless for me!

Just ordering one of these as I don't seem to be picking up any signal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

FYI mine has a blue light and it only comes on when I open HDTV Deluxe Player or Windows Media Centre - ie when it's actually in use.

Cheers. think it is blue actually, hard to tell when it doesn't light up :(

I'll try one of the things linked above! worth a shot for little over €1!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

When I load up Windows Media Centre the quality is much sharper but the RTE channels constantly jump. 3e is perfect like.

Can you use a WMC remote to switch channels with this in WMC?

Any idea if it will allow me to record one channel and watch another (dual tuner I think)?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Mine arrived with no aeriel. FFS.

Roar wrote: »
    Mine arrived with no aeriel. FFS.
    Sickner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Anyone else waiting an extreme long time for theres?,I ordered on the 6th of this month and still nothing,Heres hoping for it before christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭davehey79

Mine was dispatched on the 3rd of December and no sign of it yet nor can i track it as the code doesn't seem to be enough letters/numbers to be recognized by either an post tracking or china post/ems/hong kong post

• Advertisement

davehey79 wrote: »
    Mine was dispatched on the 3rd of December and no sign of it yet nor can i track it as the code doesn't seem to be enough letters/numbers to be recognized by either an post tracking or china post/ems/hong kong post

Getting the same results as you there,Not coming up with any results with the track number.

I did notice this at the top of the page tho.
    Dear Customer,
    We were informed that thousands of parcels have been hold in the Custom of China, due to the Christmas Sale. Therefore, the shipping time may be delayed for 3-5 days. We apologize for the inconvenience. For more information, please contact our customer service.

do they mean its a custom in China to hold parcels or Chinese Customs !!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Nollog

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    Anyone else waiting an extreme long time for theres?,I ordered on the 6th of this month and still nothing,Heres hoping for it before christmas.

HK post is always slow since it's across the globe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

/\/ollog wrote: »
    HK post is always slow since it's across the globe.
    Here's me thinking it was outside Athlone all along.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Nollog

rom wrote: »
    Here's me thinking it was outside Athlone all along.

I thought that at first too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

markyboy wrote: »
    Hi theShire and kkelly77,

It might work on the latest Ubuntu but not on the older versions (I'm using Lucid)

Ended up using mine on dual boot W7 with media centre.

Mark.

Taking the reports in this thread as true, that the unit is an Afatech 9015 .....

I have been using a similar one for the past year or so, as has a mate in Aus. ...... both of us using Linux.

Your OS will need to be using kernel 2.6.38 or later (some of the later 2.6.37 kernels also worked I believe).
    Also you need to install the AF9015 firmware which should be available from your OS repository.

Kaffeine has a nice interface for DTT, with its own scanner and listings etc.
    VLC is also now very useful for viewing.

If you have a LAN set up you can make ALL the channels available to each PC on the LAN by using dvblast or mumudvb or their like. For best operation use multicast which reduces the traffic over the LAN to only those which are required by PCs wishing to receive the signal.

I would point out though, that at some future time we will have TV channels on a second mux, and as these units have only one tuner they will only be able to receive the channels on one of them at any time.
    This is not a limitation at present, but may become so in the future.
    At the price these are being sold for, it may be prudent to get two ... one for each mux when the second goes live.

There are dual tuner models available also ...... but were about €30 the last time I looked.

regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

As some others in this thread, I had my order shipped on the 3rd. After a long wait, the order came in today!

snowblind wrote: »
    As some others in this thread, I had my order shipped on the 3rd. After a long wait, the order came in today!

Looks like its gonna be after xmas im gonna get mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭johndoc

I would point out though, that at some future time we will have TV channels on a second mux, and as these units have only one tuner they will only be able to receive the channels on one of them at any time.
    This is not a limitation at present, but may become so in the future.
    At the price these are being sold for, it may be prudent to get two ... one for each mux when the second goes live..

I'm not an expert so...... Could you let us know what the implications or benefits are of 2 x mux???

• Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

johndoc wrote: »
    I'm not an expert so...... Could you let us know what the implications or benefits are of 2 x mux???
    I am no expert either .... I will do my best to explain ... hope I succeed .....

mux => a multiplex of TV stations broadcast on one channel.

TV stations are grouped together in one 'mux' and transmitted on one broadcast channel frequency.
    The Tuner locks onto that broadcast channel and then any of the contained TV stations can be viewed. (It also contains radio stations)

Each 'mux' has a limit on how much it can 'carry' .... so if extra space is required then a second 'mux' is needed.

HD channels take up more space than SD channels for instance, so if a couple of the TV stations move to HD, sufficient space will not be available, and so a second mux will be used.

So, in the future we will likely have two 'mux's to contend with.
    A single tuner will be able to tune in the stations on one mux ..... meaning one TV station could be watched while another is recorded from that mux.

If you wished to watch or record a TV station on the other mux, then your tuner would have to move to that and thus not be able to 'see' the channels on the first mux.

So, for flexibility .... being able to record one (or more) TV channel on mux1 while watching a TV channel on mux2, one would need two tuners.

This second mux has not yet gone live.
    The mux2 channels have been tested and are available for use when needed.
    It seems likely that some arrangement to split the TV stations across two muxs will be made before the latter end of 2012, which is the official switch off of the analogue TV signal.

I think I got most of that correct ..... and for the purists, yes I realise I likely didn't use the correct terminology :P

Hope that helps explain what I meant earlier ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

Does this work on Mac OSX?

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

Tried Media Center and the software that came with the thing. No channels found. I only see a blue light on the thing flash quickly when I connect it but otherwise not on at all. Live in central Dublin. Where do you have to live to get a signal on this pos?

Mine arrived this morning anyways :) ordered on the 3rd December

Any freeware software that I can use instead of the software on the provided cd? I only have a NetBook at home and no optical drive on it !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Still havn't gotten mine :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Any freeware software that I can use instead of the software on the provided cd? I only have a NetBook at home and no optical drive on it !
    find a machine that has an optical drive and copy all the files from the CD onto a usb drive and put it into your netbook and install from there. :)

anyone looking for info should check out the previous thread about them, there is a wealth of info there including alternative media players and all the tips and tricks for getting it working if you are having issues.

just for anyone who's having trouble getting a signal on theirs, i'm in clonsilla in dublin 15 and figured i should be able to get a clean signal from my attic with the supplied antenna, but it was very choppy.

in curry's in blanchardstown i found a "one for all" amplified indoor antenna (afaik €27.99) claiming "up to" 38dB gain and although i'm fairly certain it's not going to give me anything close to that, it is actually more than enough to allow me to get a clean and clear signal on all channels, so i'm happy.

i actually have a 2nd dongle i plan on using downstairs, but i do have a roof antenna for that, so i think it'll be grand as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Telly contract doesn't run out until next year should I buy this now or possible get a better one next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭donalfo

got mine this mornin, ordered it on the 2nd. now to get it to work..

works fine, great value for what it is.

cannot for the life of me get it to work on my machine :( XP SP3. Just get a windows usb not recognized error

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭styron

I've uploaded the CD content here:
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ZKSHROQI

'autorun.exe' will give you the interface if you need it. I only installed the bare driver - the Blaze HD player ain't up to much. Windows Media Centre and VLC work fine for me (RTE2 HD can be a bit jumpy).

The thread that vibe666 mentioned gives plenty of good configuration and troubleshooting advice.

Advertisement