Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yamakasi Catleap monitor club.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

The DHL driver didn't bother to deliver mine yesterday even though he had it since 8:30. He rang me at 18:30 yesterday to say he would deliver early this morning. Then marked the tracking saying I was not at home. :mad:
    I managed to get in contact with him an hour ago, he said he was busy and would ring back in a few minutes. :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

tuxy wrote: »
    The DHL driver didn't bother to deliver mine yesterday even though he had it since 8:30. He rang me at 18:30 yesterday to say he would deliver early this morning. Then marked the tracking saying I was not at home. :mad:
    I managed to get in contact with him an hour ago, he said he was busy and would ring back in a few minutes. :rolleyes:

as if anything else he has is in his truck is as important as a 27" 1440p IPS.
    man needs to get his priorities in line

--edit

what was the dhl tracking like for your order?

mine left incheon airport today at 11am korean time.. its an 11'ish hour flight to germany so I'm assuming the tracking page oughta change around 4-5pm our time to reflect that but maybe it's not going to germany likei'm assuming

I got it! It's amazing. No obvious flaws or dead pixels. Will post more later

Here's tracking info for you

http://www.dhl.ie/content/ie/en/express/tracking.shtml?brand=DHL&AWB=2397322185%0D%0A

hah, 11 hours on the money from incheon to germany

thanks for the info. that tracking page is making me really confident i'll get mine tomorrow. just hope customs dont screw me over.

those lovely lovely people who work in customs I mean....

--edit
    you got the potalion too didn't you?

That's right it was the potalion.

The build quality is a bit poor(cheap plastic) but not as bad as I expected. The stand defiantly won't let the monitor fall but can shake lots if I move my mouse fast on the desk.
    If there are any pixel that are not working 100%, I can't find them. Maybe there are just too many to check :P
    It's too bright to check for back light bleed so I will do that later.

I don't think contrast in black levels are as good as my old va panel but that's to be expected from an IPS. All other colours are much much better, so vivid.

Games and movies look really good. There is so much detail I was missing out on before.
    My 570 GTX is ok with most games but battlefield kills it at that res. I'm using a mixture of high and medium settings with AA off to maintain 55 fps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

@ /\/ollog I have the exact same problem. I bought a longer DVI-D cable which completely refuses to work (backlight comes on but no picture) while the included cable works perfectly. The only difference I can see is the included cable has some Ferrite noise suppressors (The cylindrical part near each end of the cable) while the new one has none.

Does your second cable have noise suppressors? I'm not sure it should make that much of a difference though.

this is making me regret spending 7 euro + shipping on a dual link dvi cable to replace the one that comes with it...

oh, do we just need an ordinary kettle lead to plug into the brick? no fancy converters or adapters or anything?

--edit

mine's in germany!!

*bounce*

*bounce*

*bounce*

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Nollog

Redisle wrote: »
    @ /\/ollog I have the exact same problem. I bought a longer DVI-D cable which completely refuses to work (backlight comes on but no picture) while the included cable works perfectly. The only difference I can see is the included cable has some Ferrite noise suppressors (The cylindrical part near each end of the cable) while the new one has none.

Does your second cable have noise suppressors? I'm not sure it should make that much of a difference though.

They both have the round things.
    this is making me regret spending 7 euro + shipping on a dual link dvi cable to replace the one that comes with it...

oh, do we just need an ordinary kettle lead to plug into the brick? no fancy converters or adapters or anything?

Yeah it looks like a kettle lead.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 350 ✭✭CRM Ireland

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/15077165/1ratio.JPG

sorry I can't resize at the moment, but that's the option I was talking about

Ive two U2711's and I had NEVER went into the "menu" option in the menu. It sounds stupid, but I never noticed it before. I just tried BF3 with it set to 1:1 @1920x1080 and it had the borders all around it. It was terrible, much better to fill it out. FYI, I have a GTX580 1.5gb and at 2560x1440 there is lag whenever the multiplayer gets full of action. So I now play at 1080p on ULTRA settings and its smooth. I will upgrade to a new card soon so that I can buy another U2711 and have triple screen gaming with just the one Nvidia card.

I just tried BF3 with it set to 1:1 @1920x1080 and it had the borders all around it. It was terrible, much better to fill it out.

I have to disagree with this. I think it looks woeful with interpolation. I just tried it and could not stand it, the best way to describe it is that it's like trying to play while constantly squinting. Every edge in the game is blued, you lose so much detail.

I have no 1:1 option so I can either play in a window or lower settings. I'm defiantly going with the latter for now.

Also I just found some back light bleed in the upper left, it's fairly noticeable now that the room is a little darker. Has anyone else got this? I will post pics after sunset.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,979 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Redisle wrote: »

It won't make any, they are snake oil. They have always been snake oil.

It could be that some of the cheaper cable suppliers could have been putting dual heads on cables that only have enough runs for single link.

holy wow, I've at least 12 dead or stuck pixels and I'm only on white.
    http://jasonfarrell.com/misc/deadpixeltest.php

"pixel perfect", :(

Counted 25 total. But some might be repeats.
    This purchase is not going well for me. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Feeling a strong desire to sell my U2711 and get 3 of these at christmas for Eyefinity/Surround. Any reasons not to?

/\/ollog wrote: »
    holy wow, I've at least 12 dead or stuck pixels and I'm only on white.
    http://jasonfarrell.com/misc/deadpixeltest.php

"pixel perfect", :(

Counted 25 total. But some might be repeats.
    This purchase is not going well for me. :p

im pretty sure most of the sellers say they will replace within 30 days, maybe theyll cover shipping or offer a partial refund and you get to keep that monitor. 25 is beyond the pale anyway, you should definitely get onto them.
    it'll be 8am in korea in half an hour, if you're going to be awake for a few hours you might get an answer back before you head to sleep

Feeling a strong desire to sell my U2711 and get 3 of these at christmas for Eyefinity/Surround. Any reasons not to?

in general the quality of the received monitors has tended to be good, as the post just above yours shows.. there are risks of receiving less than standard screens. make sure the shop you order from will cover shiping in the case of a dodgy product that needs a return, I think a few of them will.. accesorieswhole definitely will on some of their products, I think maybe bigclothcraft too.. I think I read they offered someone free return shiping or else a partial refund and they get to keep the monitor that had too many dead pixels.

there's also the issue of no warranty should anything go wrong down the line. or maybe there is a warrant, but you have to pay for shipping back to korea.. which is essentually no warranty when the shipping back for returns will probably cost half of what you paid to get the monitor in the first place

its your money, you'll have to decide if its worth the risk :) have a google and take a peek at the various clubs on overclockers.net, try see if you can figure out which sellers/brands are the most reliable.

im pretty sure most of the sellers say they will replace within 30 days, maybe theyll cover shipping or offer a partial refund and you get to keep that monitor. 25 is beyond the pale anyway, you should definitely get onto them.
    it'll be 8am in korea in half an hour, if you're going to be awake for a few hours you might get an answer back before you head to sleep

I really don't want to have to send it back if I'll be charged duty on a replacement.
    Does anyone know if replacements are exempt?

it would have to be wouldnt it? you didnt actually spend any money for it

Back bleed is actually bad :(

Would this be considered excessive back bleed?

It's not as bad as this most the time, the camera really shows it up.

Should I contact the seller since the adverts said they would check for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

this might not be entirely helpful, because you'll likely lose your warranty, but it looks like the frame was tightened too hard around the screen, and loosening the screws has been known to help :(

mine is in dublin anyway so hopefully I'll get it today

I'll have a scan for pixels and ill do my best to look for bleed when I get it
    will probably have to wait itll nighttime to see the bleed though

--edit

14 Clearance delay DUBLIN - IRELAND, REPUBLIC OF 09:35

i assume this is customs getting ready to pleasure me anally?

--edit

just off the phone with dhl. monitor wont come today but it will come tomorrow

well at least it's not monday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    this might not be entirely helpful, because you'll likely lose your warranty, but it looks like the frame was tightened too hard around the screen, and loosening the screws has been known to help :(

Got a link for info about this? My screen has a fairly bright region in the top right which moves around when I pinch the bezel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

I'm looking but I can't find the original post on overclockers. it was definitely there. maybe it was one guy disassembling it for Vesa mounting or something at it was gone when it was put back together.

here's a positive thread about massaging LCD screens.

www.avsforum.com/t/1125227/possible-permanent-backlight-bleed-fix-for-lcd-tvs-and-monitors

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 350 ✭✭CRM Ireland

/\/ollog wrote: »

Thanks for the link. Ive tested my U2711 and I cant find any dead pixels. However I did find one amazing use for that website, it really shows up how dirty your screen is. A good clean is required!

Tea_Bag wrote: »

Yeah you are probably right about it's tightened too much. It's not something that will bother me too much so I will leave it for now. Still very happy with my purchase :)

Mr. Green-Sum asked for pictures of the box, and the monitor on a black screen.
    Why black? surely pixels what are dead would be black.

maybe he's wondering if they're stuck pixels rather than dead, so the colour might show on the black?

either way with the amount you had in that pic he'd have to sort you out

I took a video with my phone and zoomed in on them on all the different colours. :p
    With the occasional "FOUND IT!" in the background, they were hard to aim at.

dhl wont deliver it until monday :/ girl on the phone when i rang first was wrong

grargh, most upset

to anyone who has one.. how big are the boxes? would it be feasable to get a bus up to the depot in dublin and carry it back, or would it be too awkward to be wandering around the city carrying it

You should be able to carry it easily the box has a handle, you would just have to remove the bubble wrap first though. It's not heavy either.

• Advertisement

if the dhl depot was near the city center I probably would but I just google mapped it and it's miles away

screw it, I'll wait till monday I guess

Advertisement