Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Raspberry PI Projects

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Now that general orders are open, I've placed my order for 5 more Pis, along with a 7-port powered USB hub. I'm sorting out getting an 8 port ethernet switch ordered as well, with the goal being to have 2 projects on the go:

1) a 5-machine network built with Fedora that lets me experiment with configuring DNS, DHCP, radius and LDAP, with a view to later integrating that into a Windows domain running on a desktop. I may later try more interesting things like interfacing them with an Arduino.
    2) a single Pi that, for now, will most likely be used as a RasPiBoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

Anybody looking at using a logitech harmony remote to control one of these? If i get a wireless keyboard and mouse, would it be as simple as programming in buttons from the mouse and keyboard by pointing the keyboard at it and pressing buttons and recording these commands on the remote? Will any keyboard infra red detector pick up the harmoney remote signal? That's the extent of my ambtions so far! I'll start off slowly!

Anyone any advice on what keyboard and mouse to get? wireless? Just wondering if I need to worry about drivers or anything, not that familiar with linux (have it on my redundant netbook though)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Anybody looking at using a logitech harmony remote to control one of these? If i get a wireless keyboard and mouse, would it be as simple as programming in buttons from the mouse and keyboard by pointing the keyboard at it and pressing buttons and recording these commands on the remote? Will any keyboard infra red detector pick up the harmoney remote signal? That's the extent of my ambtions so far! I'll start off slowly!

Anyone any advice on what keyboard and mouse to get? wireless? Just wondering if I need to worry about drivers or anything, not that familiar with linux (have it on my redundant netbook though)

No idea about the Logitech Harmony, but there's a wiki with some pretty good listings of equipment that's been tested, including some wireless keyboard & mice kits.

I have a harmony and it would be that simple if the keyboard was infrared,but I doubt you'd find an infrared set,.
    I use the harmony on my pc with a usb infrared dongle that came with a Windows media player remote.
    works very well.

yeah i bought a remote on amazon just for the sensor!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TRIXES-Remote-Controller-Wireless-Control/dp/B003TKJE9G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1342998412&sr=8-1

And the first guy of the review said what to set it up as on the harmony as he was doing the same thing...

So all sorted now just hopefully there's not too much of a delay between getting my raspberry pi and getting all my accessories! (sd card, keyboard, mouse, power supply and remote on way from Amazon) I could plug in my PC ones while i'm waiting and use my phone charger but handier if the Amazon delivery was here within a day or two! Have raspbmc ready to put onto the SD card and a 2 tb NAS with ample media on it, so think i'm all set!

Ah yes keyboards use radio frequency not infra red... obviously as line of sight would be awkward! Will a keyboard/mouse set will just have one receiver? (just concerned about my usb ports)

• Advertisement

i know the Logitech stuff can share one receiver,
    If you need a case check out my ad on adverts!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

My RPi project plan: permanent car tracking system.

RPi equipped with GPS unit and a wifi module for uploading gpx tracks to a server. Tracking switching with a switch connected to GPIO.

Tracks would be uploaded every time car is parked within range of a known wifi network (or mobile hot-spot from a phone).

I'm thinking about separate power supply for GPS unit, so it would be always in hot fix state.

Options:
    - GSM unit to allow tracking the car in real time.
    - simple led display to show gps status (or even couple leds driven from GPIO)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

PrzemoF wrote: »
    I'm thinking about separate power supply for GPS unit, so it would be always in hot fix state.

I've a tiny bit of experience with these, what you really want is an external power supply that can give ~2 days of power to the device, and can be charged by the device when another power source is being used. Then wire the whole thing into the constant live in the car, assuming the power draw isn't enough to discharge the battery overnight, otherwise wire it into something that comes on every time you start the car

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

PrzemoF wrote: »
    My RPi project plan: permanent car tracking system.
    i know its pretty much completely against the whole ethos of the r pi thing, but you can get a really good one for about 50 quid delivered off ebay. if you search for TK102B you'll find a bunch of them that do pretty much everything you want.

of course if you just want to do it as a project then the r pi is your man, but if you only really want to track your motor (or even someone elses:eek:), it's a great deal.

vibe666 wrote: »
    i know its pretty much completely against the whole ethos of the r pi thing, but you can get a really good one for about 50 quid delivered off ebay. if you search for TK102B you'll find a bunch of them that do pretty much everything you want.

of course if you just want to do it as a project then the r pi is your man, but if you only really want to track your motor (or even someone elses:eek:), it's a great deal.
    Thanks for the info!

I already have what I need - a phone with GPS and Osmand+ app that I use for openstreetmap mapping.

I'm going to do it mostly for fun/experience

The system would be also easy to expand i.e. fit RPi with bluetooth dongle and gpsd daemon serving GPS location to laptop/tablet. That would allow in-the-field mapping :-)

• Advertisement

Anyone know an ebay link for a cheap power adapter that def works? mine didn't work with this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0046S9U1C/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01

says 850 mA and 5V but I think when it gets to 850mA the voltage drops... I didn't know what was wrong as it wouldn't work... thought i has bad image in sd card etc. So if this happens anyone...

Power light was red, indicating power, "OK" green light blinked at the start but that was it.... check your power cable!

Currently running mine of my HP touchpad charger but not practical long term!

Apologies as this isn't a project but didn't know of anywhere else to post... is there a general Pi forum?

There's currently no dedicated electronics/tinkering forum but there is an ongoing request for a forum to be created here. I reckon it would probably make sense for RasPi project talk to go there (well, maybe apart from purely software projects).

i actually thought this was a joke to start with, but alas sadly not.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Raspberry-Pi-Ethernet-Network-Cable-Limited-Edition-Colour-3m-/280899448642?pt=UK_Computing_Other_Computing_Networking&hash=item4166e96f42#ht_555wt_1397
    £3.99 Approximately EUR 5.09
    Postage: £7.50(approx. EUR 9.57)

fully tested and compatible with Raspberry Pi

3m Length

Limited Edition Colour

as usual, there's no limit to how long some people with stoop to cash in.

my first rPi arrived yesterday, so i might stick XBMC on it today and give it a goo. :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

i actually thought this was a joke to start with, but alas sadly not.

Hahaha. Classic. 3m ethernet cable. yours for only 15 euro. Dirty thieves.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I can't see them selling many of those ethernet cables to the sort of people who would buy a RPi, most would have several knocking around and not be bothered by the fancy pink colour. IMHO.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

A blackberry charger will power it up.

Now for a weekend of trying it out!

just tried my htc charger and it works fine too.

got openelec (xbmc) installed in just a few minutes and working fine.

hopefully have more time for some messing at the weekend. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

just tried my htc charger and it works fine too.

got openelec (xbmc) installed in just a few minutes and working fine.

hopefully have more time for some messing at the weekend. :)

Got openelec on mine too and have a wireless dongle on mine, it's pretty slow when on the downstairs telly. No ethernet near it so that's not an option. Just wondering if Raspbmc would be better for my needs or do I just need a better wireless dongle. Currently using this. It's fine if I'm in the room next to the router but downstairs is a no go. In the same room tho My nexus 7 and phone can stream from the network fine What can I do to speed up the network speeds ?

i'd remove the wireless altogether and go for powerline ethernet adapters (homeplugs). amazon have some good deals on them at the moment, there's a bargain alerts thread about them somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

I just joined the club! Should be delivered next week. First step will be a xbmc/raspbmc for the telly.

How are the rest of you getting on? Any successes or failures?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

^^^whats step 2?

OwnCloud server on RPI

I'm installing it right now...

update: I have owncloud up&running, with apache & mysql using ddns.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭aidanki

Fysh wrote: »
    Strictly speaking, I don't - hence wanting to start the project. I have a vague idea of where to start and a couple of O'Reilly manuals that I keep meaning to make time to read, but I find I learn better by actually doing stuff than just reading about it - so being able to build a test environment with several machines with a low power overhead and a low overall cost suits me perfectly.

Bear in mind that when they get around to the educational launch they'll hopefully have suggestions and documentation for learning projects you could start with one of these.

whats an O reilly manual, prob a v stupid question, but im kinda a novice

aidanki wrote: »
    whats an O reilly manual, prob a v stupid question, but im kinda a novice

O'Reilly are a publishers. They publish techie books like how to learn programming languages and the like.

Khannie wrote: »
    O'Reilly are a publishers. They publish techie books like how to learn programming languages and the like.

someething Im kinda interested in TBH, any links?

Khannie wrote: »
    I plan on making good use of the fact that it's going to be running linux to possibly remote control stuff in my house. It would be easy to set up sending a command over ssh to a box in your house from a smart phone. My first thought was being able to turn on the heating remotely. That would require:

RPi running linux and an ssh server.
    Android app that can send an ssh command (easy for anyone with even basic programming experience to code).
    Gertboard add on for the pi to turn on / off the boiler.
    Bit of wiring.

I considered hooking it up to a google calendar, for timing the heating too.

how far did this progress?

Im kinda a newbie to all this, is there any software/beginner kit I can buy that would allow me to practice building this kinda stuff?

I have programmed PLCs before and I used to write Matlab code to solve nasty equations when in college so Im not entirely dumb

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭KAGY

Was on Farnells getting something else and bought one all spontaneous. Out of stock! Checked back today and it's the case less ones they have none of, 300+ of the cased ones :-/
    anyway, going to use this as an excuse to learn python and possibly MySQL. Try to make a datalogger with the ultimate aim of having a PID controller with weather forecast lookup for my heatpump.
    Or a weather station...
    or a car PC...
    Or some cool toys for the kids..

aidanki wrote: »
    how far did this progress?

No progress tbh. :( Life has been very busy since, with zero flutin' time available. I think it would be a cool little project though, so it's still on the todo list.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I know very little about this device and its newest version. Is this proposal in one of the earlier posts, controlling home heating via an app and the PI, quite tricky if you're not experienced with electrics?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭KAGY

I know very little about this device and its newest version. Is this proposal in one of the earlier posts, controlling home heating via an app and the PI, quite tricky if you're not experienced with electrics?
    http://www.whizzy.org/2014/01/raspberry-pi-powered-heating-controller-part-1/

Advertisement