Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ICS update?

Options
  • 09-08-2012 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭

Hey Guys

I had a Samsung GS 2 (3 network) up until it got stolen a few weeks ago and I had the update to ICS. I recently purchased a second hand unlocked S2 (originally with Vodafone) but it is still on Android 2.3.5 and when I check for updates none are available.

Question is: How can I update the software to ICS? Since I still am on 3 network should the update not be available like before or would it have anything to do with the phone being originally on Vodafone??

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Have you tried downloading the Kies software package from Samsung and using that to check for updates?

If your new handset was originally on Vodafone and was then unlocked to use 3, you're probably not going to be able to get Over-The-Air software updates - as far as I understand it, you'd need to have had the Vodafone phone software wiped and the Three software installed for OTA updates to show up correctly (which isn't something you can get done officially, as carriers want you to buy the phones from them new so that they get your money). You should still be able to update the phone though, possibly via Samsung's software.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭fergpie

Fysh wrote: »
    Have you tried downloading the Kies software package from Samsung and using that to check for updates?

If your new handset was originally on Vodafone and was then unlocked to use 3, you're probably not going to be able to get Over-The-Air software updates - as far as I understand it, you'd need to have had the Vodafone phone software wiped and the Three software installed for OTA updates to show up correctly (which isn't something you can get done officially, as carriers want you to buy the phones from them new so that they get your money). You should still be able to update the phone though, possibly via Samsung's software.

I tried this and it says that "Your device does not support software upgrading via kies"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

You will probably have to download the ROM manually and install it with Odin so (unless the 2nd hand phone has a "CWM" app in your menu then it might be a bit easier).

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭flugel

In the above example could "fergpie" put a Vodafone sim into his phone, check for updates, pick up and download OTA, and then just pop his Three sim card back in?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

flugel wrote: »
    In the above example could "fergpie" put a Vodafone sim into his phone, check for updates, pick up and download OTA, and then just pop his Three sim card back in?

If the software on fergpie's S2 hasn't been changed from the original Vodafone version, then I think this should work. I've never been 100% clear on how OTA updates are pushed out though, and tbh for a major handset OS update like Gingerbread > ICS I'd be a bit paranoid myself. (I don't actually have any solid factual basis on which to suggest avoiding major updates via OTA, I'm just wary of getting half-way through the update process and then having it fail, resulting in a bricked phone....)

• Advertisement
Advertisement