Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

change machines?

• 25-04-2012 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭

Anyone know any change machines in limerick?? and at what rates they charging?! or any other ideas of getting rid of A LOAD of change! lol

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,464 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Anyone know any change machines in limerick?? and at what rates they charging?! or any other ideas of getting rid of A LOAD of change! lol

There's one in Tesco coonagh. I think it's 10%. I've used it loadsa times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Super Value in Corbally & the Spar in College Court Castletroy both have them, in or around 10% also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Rocky_Dennis

There is one in Tesco in Roxboro too. In and around 10% too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Just buy some bits in Tesco and let self service take it off your hands :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,059 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Tesco charge 9.9% commission which is about the norm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Well, I want loads of change. Perhaps we could meet sometime? (Not soon, because I'm abroad for the next month.)

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭curry_person

The Snipe wrote: »
    Just buy some bits in Tesco and let self service take it off your hands :)

thats actually a really good idea! and no having to pay commission charges! thanks for that! how did i not think of this?! pure genius!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

curry the spar shop on henry street near the limerick leader offices charges 8.5%, thats where i change all my, em, change! :D

Make sure you don't use the one in Aurthurs Quay, as thats the manual coin one, the one in the cresent, (Not too sure about Connagh) has the "bucket" style one where you can just feck in all your change and let it do it for you! :D but if you live a bit away from it, don't forget, you can always just get the Raheen bus outta all that change too! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Are these machines quick??
    I haven't used one but I have a pretty big bag of change(think shopping bag)
    Would I be there half the day with it???
    Cheers
    Marty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

martyc5674 wrote: »
    Cheers
    Marty.

you just empty the bag/jar of change into it and it counts it up, I had a massive jar of it recently and it came to about 140 quid after the commission taken, its fun watching the numbers go up, its like getting free money :pac:

krudler wrote: »
    martyc5674 wrote: »
    Cheers
    Marty.

you just empty the bag/jar of change into it and it counts it up, I had a massive jar of it recently and it came to about 140 quid after the commission taken, its fun watching the numbers go up, its like getting free money :pac:

Cheers...but is it quick???

krudler wrote: »

you get that too eh? :D

yeah they're pretty nifty alright, count about €100 in five minutes... :)

If you sat down for an hour too, you could count it all, and then bring it to the bank and keep it all! Its what I'd much rather do then lose about 10%.

the bank won't take it any more snipe unless it's bagged in proper little money bags, eg- €10 in 20c, €1 in 1c, etc, and even then, they'll only lodge it directly to your account... been there, tried that... :(

Exactly! Get some moneybags and get counting! :P

Exactly! Get some moneybags and get counting! :P

but, but... thats gonna take, aaaaaaages... :(

oh, plus if you only have 99cents in a €1 bag, they'll just turn round and go 'computer says no!'... :pac:

Dont they normally weigh them to make sure?

Dont they normally weigh them to make sure?

:eek:

i cant believe snipe you've never seen:

:pac:

but yeah, they weigh them, same result, even one cent out and they refuse to take it... :o

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

As above, spend it in the self service machines. They are quite common now. Tesco, Supervalu, and B&Q all have them in Limerick.

Just start bringing sandwich bags full of change with you.

Oh, and car parks. Always useful in car parks. And the tunnel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Voy

I thought the banks charge for this now too.

How does the auto machine work. Do you need to separate them into particular coins or can you just dump the whole lot in mixed?

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭judosean2005

The spar on Henry ST.(one beside the corner flag)gives 8.5%. tht im 100% sure of. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Rocky_Dennis

Voy wrote: »
    I thought the banks charge for this now too.

How does the auto machine work. Do you need to separate them into particular coins or can you just dump the whole lot in mixed?

You just throw the whole lot in and the machine recognises the different coins. It's worth paying the 10% because it saves the time counting and separating the coins yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

The spar on Henry ST.(one beside the corner flag)gives 8.5%. tht im 100% sure of. ;)

That's very good. Centra near the southcourt is over 10%, 13 or 15 maybe?

Counting it yourself is fine if you've loadsa time on your hands or you're very stuck for it. I prefer to enjoy my leisure time without handling loadsa grubby coppers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

I use the one in Centra near south court its 11-12%.
    Its a horrible thought that it takes so much off of you for commission
    but I've learned to live with it.

For a while I was going into the bank (which was beside the shop with the counting machine) asking for money bags and spending
    ages counting out coins. When you counting out 1000 1cent pieces per tenner after a while as the hours go by you start to loose the will to live, and then have to move onto 5cent then 20cent then 50 cent time and effort vs how much of a tight arse you are and how much time you are willing to spend comes into play. Then you end up with an un-even number of coins that wont fill a full bag, Plus there is getting the bags, making sure you've counted correct, waiting in the queue at the bank, the bank weighing each bag and then finally getting your money.

For me as much as I want as much money as I can have I'm no
    Silas Marner!!
    For me personally each time I come home from work or the shop I throw loose change into a 4l empty water jar and in my own mind treat it as dis-carded money not part of my weekly budget. I know at some stage
    when the change amounts to critical mass I will do a cull and count it with
    the delight of getting a wee mini lump sum to do a splurge or pay an unexpected bill.

Its shocking that the banks themselves dont have self service change counters and they still rely on a bloody weighing scales and plastic bags.

Using the counting machines I just chuck all the coins in slowly and watch
    the number on the digital counter increase to my delight. Sometimes coins jam, there are occasions where the reservoir of coins is full and you need to call over a member of staff where to your horror they reset the machine in front of you, with some coins stick in the machines in-nerds that may not get counted.

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

How do the banks charge for it when you are depositing money to your own account??

I went and got all the bags and counted it all out - Now to find a day to bring it all down with me!

Mc Love wrote: »
    How do the banks charge for it when you are depositing money to your own account??

I went and got all the bags and counted it all out - Now to find a day to bring it all down with me!

the banks dont charge for it Mc, but its bloody inconvenient. i'd sooner pay €8.50 per €100 and be on about my business 20mins later.

of course its an awful kick in the stones when you pay €34 for counting it, say mine would usually come to about the €400 mark, but you'd only do it every couple of months, and i'd sooner that than spending hours as bullets pointed out counting out even 99 1c coins and fishing through a mountain of coins for that elusive 1c to make up the 100 to make €1... 'frustrating' would be a nice word for it! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

You know you're in the money when the suspension compresses when you put the bag of change in the car! Used to be the free money / holiday fund, now it gets spent on necessities :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Am I the only one who finds counting change therapeutic? :pac:

• Advertisement

roast wrote: »
    Am I the only one who finds counting change therapeutic? :pac:

Yes!

Advertisement