Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Experiences

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

Just to clarify something here. Member in charge is not automatically the Gaoler. Larger stations operate a system whereas the SHO and member in charge is always a Sergeant who operates both roles. He then authorises a Garda to act as Gaoler.

The Gaoler then looks after the custody record and prisoners but has no authority to make decisions concerning their detention, etc. Been Gaoler hundreds of times but never member in charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭metman

The Gaoler then looks after the custody record and prisoners but has no authority to make decisions concerning their detention, etc. Been Gaoler hundreds of times but never member in charge.

Its similar here. The Custody Sergeant is in charge, and responsible for the welfare of the person detained.

The Gaoler is either a PC or DDO and does the cell visits, updates the custody record, takes the fingerprints, DNA and does the drugs tests, provides meals and drinks for prisoners, assists with searching of prisoners, and is responsible for letting prisoners out (for interview, doctor visits etc) and ensuring he knows where each prisoner is at any given time. In a big custody like Charing Cross where you've about 60 cells, its a busy old job.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭wicklaman83

Just to clarify something here. Member in charge is not automatically the Gaoler. Larger stations operate a system whereas the SHO and member in charge is always a Sergeant who operates both roles. He then authorises a Garda to act as Gaoler.

what does SHO stand for??

darren254 wrote: »
    what does SHO stand for??

Station House Orderly. A Sergeant thats in charge of the station and its security.

Other titles are 'Member in charge' which can be a Garda and is charged with the overseeing of all things connected with prisoners.

Section Sergeant, charged with the supervision and deployment of resources. IE they walk the beat and make sure that Gardai are doing likewise.

In reality though both Sergeants mix the jobs and cover eachother
    metman wrote: »
    In a big custody like Charing Cross where you've about 60 cells, its a busy old job.

Its a bloody horrible job is what it is which only ends with a headache and about 20 statements!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 stateofchasis

Some of the mules on here are talking rubbish. For starters, any mule with less than 5 years experience is in no position to criticise the garda reserve. If I was you I would concentrate on keeping my nose clean and never mind about where the resources and funds are coming from or how they being allocated, It's not your decision to make and won't be for some time. I see other people talking about babysitting reserves, sure ur still only babies urselves and if not u were at some stage. What an utterly ridiculous statement to make, bear in mind that some of these lads are 20myears older than ye. By the sounds of it most of the members on here have only passed out a wet week and are doing the rounds in traffic and are talking like they've been taking down gangland criminals and the like. There's more to being a guard than arresting people and If half of them had the same attitude as some of the reserves they'll go far in this job.In the final analysis lads, I'd suggest that you embrace what change comes along otherwise you'll only alienate urself and anyone with any prsopects of promotion will not go far if they're already displaying a bad attitude at this early stage of their career. The type of attitude that has been displayed here by other members is exactly what they're trying to stomp out at the moment.

• Advertisement

Some of the mules on here are talking rubbish. For starters, any mule with less than 5 years experience is in no position to criticise the garda reserve. If I was you I would concentrate on keeping my nose clean and never mind about where the resources and funds are coming from or how they being allocated, It's not your decision to make and won't be for some time. I see other people talking about babysitting reserves, sure ur still only babies urselves and if not u were at some stage. What an utterly ridiculous statement to make, bear in mind that some of these lads are 20myears older than ye. By the sounds of it most of the members on here have only passed out a wet week and are doing the rounds in traffic and are talking like they've been taking down gangland criminals and the like. There's more to being a guard than arresting people and If half of them had the same attitude as some of the reserves they'll go far in this job.In the final analysis lads, I'd suggest that you embrace what change comes along otherwise you'll only alienate urself and anyone with any prsopects of promotion will not go far if they're already displaying a bad attitude at this early stage of their career. The type of attitude that has been displayed here by other members is exactly what they're trying to stomp out at the moment.

And yet you insult all the users here with your second post. Hello Mr Kettle:p

And how much service you have means nothing if it was all sitting on your ass in the public office of a sub station in the arsehole of nowhere or a district office compared to someone with 5 years in a busy station.

You learn more as a probationer in Store Street, Pearce Street, Blanch, Ronanstown or Coolock compared to ten years in Dublin Airport or Rhode for example.

BTW there are members in task force, DDU, Drugs, Traffic, SDU and OCU after 5 years service with a lot of bigger captures compared to Inspectors and Supers who spent their lives getting promoted from one office to another.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

You learn more as a probationer in Store Street, Pearce Street, Blanch, Ronanstown or Coolock compared to ten years in Dublin Airport or Rhode for example.

How dare you slag off Rhode. I grew up there. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Fyr.Fytr

TheNog wrote: »

Say's it all doesn't it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

it says Im a truely handsome man with a great sense of humour!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Fyr.Fytr

Oh right......................................

*Gives the nog a patronising pat on the shoulder* Good luck with that

• Advertisement

TheNog wrote: »

Yeah and I know the mule that spent the day trying to stay awake in the public office there! Its like the skipper on Craggy Island.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭deadwood

And how much service you have means nothing if it was all sitting on your ass in the public office of a sub station in the arsehole of nowhere or a district office compared to someone with 5 years in a busy station.

Sweeping generalisations there. Each area has it's own requirements. The man in store st. might have dozens of arrests ...from the same shoplifters robbing the same shops caught by the same security staff every day - but that'd be a generalisation too.
    The man in the substation has to deal with every call in his area and the files will be waiting for him/her when they return from rest days/holidays. There's no leaving it to the oncomong unit.
    It's all policing.
    In saying all this, I suspect anyone who writes in textspeak isn't too long in the tooth either so maybe Stateofchasis has just completed his first 5 years. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

deadwood wrote: »
    Typical Traffic Corpse. I guess some pigs are more equal than others, eh?

I think my post hinted that I was a member of the Garda Siochána with a rank higher than garda. Which means I have a little more say in who I work with on public order.

From that point of view, yes, some gardaí are of higher rank and thus have some more privileges and more responsibility.

Your posts are quite negative thus far, nobody has questioned the fact that some subdistrict stations have a heavy workload because of low numbers. I experienced that and Pearse St when I was first promoted.

I'd take the workload of the rural subdistrict station any day over the constant barrage of rubbish coming through Pearse St/Store St.

Why so serious?;)
    Fair enough I didn't pick up on the hint about your rank. (bending over as we speak)
    I didn't mean to come across as negative either, it's just that these trousers really chaffe. Most of the posters here are negative in relation to members (often) second-hand experience of reserves. Am I negative because I don't agree or because I believe we should give them a chance?

My point in relation to busy 24 stations and quiter stations is that each has pros and cons. The garda in a rural area who knows his public by name, gets knocks on his front door off duty and so on is doing as valuable a job as someone in a busy urban station. (There's plenty of people running around both with PULSE printouts trying to look busy too.)
    Don't forget -those pesky criminals don't just ride up and down the DART all day, their country cousins have been known to commit crime too.
    This is going way off topic, so maybe we should start an "anyone working outside the DMA hasn't a clue" thread?

Tempting idea, very tempting.

Heh, heh. We'll leave that one to the GRA site, shall we?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Bren1609

Joker aka Marcus Arelius aka Chief Admiral, it appears that you change your name as much as your opinions. Are you suffering from some form of bi polar or personality disorder. This is just unbelievable...

In one of your first posts you say:
    Joker wrote: »
    I see members babysitting them on the beat, I mean its a totally different ballgame for them and I think they seem to get in the way in our district, especially on public order work. They're described as immature, volatile and agressive and a bit stuck up. Some members are fed up to the back teeth with them.

However in one of your next posts you say:
    I've no problem with lads helping the GRs out, they are only learning after all. We're stuck with them and might as well help them out. But I ain't doing it ;), too risky for my taste.

But wait a second... you also said this:
    I hate the reserve idea, and the attitude displayed by many of them, just power/status hungry and aggressive tools without a shred of feeling for their fellow man.

and then...
    I have no working experience with reservists.

Although you did try and explain the last one by saying:
    I trust the opinions of my friends and have had drinks with several GRs.

Hang on, This one is great:
    The GR scheme is a pathetic stop-gap effort, nothing more. And if you really think that senior management give a flying ****, you are sadly mistaken. They ain't promoted for their ability to change things, they are "yes" men. Always have been, always will be. They only change the things that suit them, i.e. things that do not change the reality of the job.

So how did you get your promotion then?

On a more serious note, I find it a bit worrying that a senior member goes onto an online forum and denigrates his fellow members by calling them "aggressive tools" even though by his own admission has had no experience with and then gives the details of a station and unit he was promoted in.

The only reassurance I can find is that hopefully he is lying about his promotion because anyone who has been promoted rank in AGS would have about 8 years experience and I hope that a member with that much experience would have more sense than to insult volunteer members on an online forum.

Bren1609 wrote: »

I have stated unequivocally that I admire men who give up their free time to assist. I have stated that some who join are not there to help, but to bolster their own egos. I have said that I am not agreeable to the theory of the GR, what the govt says they exist for, (in place of funding of full-timers). I have stated that I will assist any GR in trouble, but am uneasy about training them in personally.

Where are the contradictions?

Senior management is generally accepted as the ranks of Supt, Chief Supt, Asst/Comm, Dep/Comm, and Commissioner.

I am not going for promotion as I doubt I am influential enough to get it.

EDIT: I've never stated what stations I've been in, nor where I am now. Where have I indicated to the contrary? I was in Pearse St for some overtime, but was never stationed there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Bren1609

What do you mean where are the contradictions??? Did you not read my previous post? I've pointed them out in black and white.

Since you're on the Batman theme at the moment, I think your next user name should be Harvey Dent/Twoface. You could even put up a pic, at least then you'd have some excuse for contradicting yourself.

I've no problem with lads helping the GRs out, they are only learning after all. We're stuck with them and might as well help them out. But I ain't doing it ;), too risky for my taste.
    Can a mere garda working on your unit use this excuse not to work with a reserve? What's next - "Aw sarge, it's raining. I can't go out in that - it's too risky":D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 boardsbandit200

Rain? no thanks- I wouldn't be seen dead in it it's all wet and stuff and my sergant understands that.

Bren1609 wrote: »
    What do you mean where are the contradictions??? Did you not read my previous post? I've pointed them out in black and white.

Since you're on the Batman theme at the moment, I think your next user name should be Harvey Dent/Twoface. You could even put up a pic, at least then you'd have some excuse for contradicting yourself.

Had you actually read your own posts you would see there are no contradictions in what you quoted from me, I've explained my outlook in my last post, and it does not contradict the quotes you have used.

Are you able to read OK? I can use bigger text. :pac:

Why did you read so much into my posts to find out where I work? Are you making a threat? I've never specified a unit or my present station.

Can a mere garda working on your unit use this excuse not to work with a reserve? What's next - "Aw sarge, it's raining. I can't go out in that - it's too risky":D

There are no reservists in Traffic Corps, perhaps you also forgot to read my posts. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 gordotempo

I hate the reserve idea, and the attitude displayed by many of them, just power/status hungry and aggressive tools without a shred of feeling for their fellow man. If you are different, you will change these attitudes, mine included. Good luck with your application

Bren1609 is right Joker. Read your own post above how do explain that? Did you think by changing your user name it wouldnt be recognised? You also seem to be getting a bit defensive, the only person talking about threats in here is you. You also said that you have no working experience with reserves and then you make a statement like that. You also talked about full timers babysitting reserves and then you said that you had no problem with lads helping out GR's. It's all in Bren1609s post.

So which is it?

gordotempo wrote: »
    Bren1609 is right Joker. Read your own post above how do explain that? Did you think by changing your user name it wouldnt be recognised? You also seem to be getting a bit defensive, the only person talking about threats in here is you. You also said that you have no working experience with reserves and then you make a statement like that. You also talked about full timers babysitting reserves and then you said that you had no problem with lads helping out GR's. It's all in Bren1609s post.

So which is it?

You also didn't read my posts.

1. I have no problem with full-time gardaí training GRs.
    2. I have a problem with full-time gardaí having to babysit GRs, particularly when bad situations like public order offences flare up
    3. I do not have any first-hand experience with GRs, only from other colleagues who have spent a lot of hours doing so.
    4. I changed my username because I got fed up of Marcus.Aurelius. I didn't much like Chief Admiral either. I picked joker after seeing the Dark Knight. Heath Ledger's character was excellent.
    Sorry Gordotempo, as you can tell, there is no contradiction, there is the essential difference between operational work involving GRs and standard work i.e. training of GRs.

I apologise for the comment about reservists being selfish etc., it was out of line. But as for Bren1609, he has failed to see distinctions I made in my posts between training and operational work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

As one of the mods is going to end up saying . . . 'Attack the post and not the poster'!

The man in the substation has to deal with every call in his area and the files will be waiting for him/her when they return from rest days/holidays. There's no leaving it to the oncomong unit.

Not sure I understand this too be honest. Every station has to deal with every call and all members have to deal with their paperwork and files when they come back from leave or rest days as its their files and paperwork.

No one has ever offered to take a prisoner or file from me just because Im finishing up and if the section 4 means you have to stick around then thats too bad for you.

My original comments werent meant to mean A is better than B, I was just pointing out that theres a lot more to someones knowledge and experience than just how low their reg number is or even rank. Where your stationed or used to be, what unit, etc. It all contributes. I just found the users comments patronising too be honest.

As for the above with Joker, Im lost. What was your old username if you dont mind me asking?

I originally signed into boards in Mar 07 as maoleary, I changed it once I got subscriber status to Marcus.Aurelius, as I like roman history a lot. Got fed up of it and changed it to Chief Admiral (:eek:) which was a terrible name and got it changed back to Marcus.Aurelius, but still favoured a change at some point.

I changed it to Joker after noticing the username was available.

Not sure I understand this too be honest. Every station has to deal with every call and all members have to deal with their paperwork and files when they come back from leave or rest days as its their files and paperwork.
    I was just making a point that a member in a one man station deals with every call that refers to hi/her area. If this incident happens when they are off duty, the file will be waiting for them when they return. In a 24 hour station, the incident is dealt with by the working unit. I hope that's a bit clearer. Different areas have different arrangements though.
    And I agree fully that "seniority" doesn't automatically mean more knowledge or actual experience.

I think this thread is in danger of getting into a slagging match. Dammit, they got to us - divide and conquer - that was their plan all along!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭ZoneAlarm

Are Gr not all trying to strive for the same thing, and be on the same side or is it them and the GR.

Would it not be a good idea to be altogether rather than on opposite sides.

The Full time members and the GR, will need each other at some point, to back each other up.

At the end of the day, the GR are here to stay, so no matter what anyone says, everyone will have to get on together at some point.

So why not start now :(

Advertisement