Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mature student grant when you leave a full time job?

Options
  • 03-11-2014 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi there!
    I was wondering if anyone else had more info on this as I can't seem to find many answers.
    When I finished school I got a student grant for college. Had to repeat the year so I dropped out. Im now 24 and want to study full time as a mature student which means leaving my full time job and returning to college full time. I meet the requirements for my course but I'm not sure about grants. Am I eligible for a student grant as a mature student if I had one in 2009 when I finished school and have been working full time for the last three years?
    Appreciate any help with this
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

5 year gap is needed for grant. Might just qualify.

If you left work now and went on JS for at least 9 months you would get BTEA for next year. If they dont change the rules in the meantime that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Demaymaria

5 year gap is needed for grant. Might just qualify.

If you left work now and went on JS for at least 9 months you would get BTEA for next year. If they dont change the rules in the meantime that is.

Thanks for your reply. Theres a penalty of up to 9 weeks JS so I was told by citizens information and then if I don't get BTEA it's a bit risky. I was unaware of the 5 year gap I'll look into that hopefully I am eligible.
    Really appreciate it
    Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 40,797 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Demaymaria wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply. Theres a penalty of up to 9 weeks JS so I was told by citizens information and then if I don't get BTEA it's a bit risky. I was unaware of the 5 year gap I'll look into that hopefully I am eligible.
    Really appreciate it
    Thanks again

You also to check the rule regarding 5 years for "free" tuition fees. You might be liable to pay tuotion fees as well.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 37 flashback humour

You shouldn't have a problem getting free tuition fees as you'll have a 6 year gap by next September. In my case I did 2 years of a course and left it 6 years ago and I'm getting free fees again this year. You'll be eligible to apply to Susi again too. Good luck!

Advertisement