Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Raspberry PI $25 PC

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

Khannie wrote: »
    I'll take that bet. Seriously, I'd give you odds of 2:1 up to a reasonable amount (but not gigantic) if you fancy putting some money on it? I have no insider knowledge.

The bet would be that they start production from a factory (rather than the hand assembled jobbies they have now) and an average punter can purchase one (this rules out the 2000 pound ones on ebay).

Let me know if you're game. ;)

watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme.png :pac:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Haha. No, I didn't mean it in a hard ass way. Just a bit of fun. No problem if there's no interest. I'm not looking to make megabucks, just add a bit of spice to the wait. :D

Haha. No, I didn't mean it in a hard ass way. Just a bit of fun. No problem if there's no interest. I'm not looking to make megabucks, just add a bit of spice to the wait. :D

Haha yeah this wait is killing me.

I was wondering, since all I have here with me is my laptop, is there anyway I could use my laptop's keyboard and a mouse to control the PI? Or even just use the laptop's monitor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Nah I don't do wagers anymore. If they make it onto the market I will buy one and I'm willing to be slagged about it. It'd be ironic if delivery cost more than the RPi though :pac:

shizz wrote: »
    Haha yeah this wait is killing me.

I was wondering, since all I have here with me is my laptop, is there anyway I could use my laptop's keyboard and a mouse to control the PI? Or even just use the laptop's monitor?

Freenx is probably what you want. It displays a desktop from a unix / linux box (full screen if you want it) on your laptop. Similar to remote desktop for windows.

There is a commercial version from www.nomachine.com but I don't think they do an arm linux version.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭Doge

Ah ok. I think the pi is a good base to try and copy tbh. The only very minor flaw I think it has is the 2 USB ports (where there's a good chance you're going to use one for wifi, it leaves you needing an external port for a keyboard and mouse).

Actually, does anyone know if there's a keyboard and mouse on a single USB port? or a keyboard that has a usb hub built in?

edit: I think the ideal spec for me would be a pi with faster processor, more ram (512M would probably be enough for a lightweight distro to do useful stuff though a gig would be ideal) and 4 usb ports. I'd happily pay 50 euro for that.

I'm thinkering with the idea of horsing the Pi into something like this:

sku_91528_1.jpg

Only using this pic so you can get the idea, but i would actually be using a USB 2.0 bay.

There's the option of bypassing the Controller Board altogether also, and soldering wires between the USB connectors themselves and the RPi.

Would 10 ports be enough for you? ;)

976177_LB_00_FB.EPS_250.jpg

There's also the Bays that come with a multi-card reader.

It might be possible to use the existing SD Card slot on one of those, and solder wires from the pins to the pins on the SD card slot that comes with the RPi. It would be great if there was a more DIY version of the RPi which came without the connectors soldered to the board so you could use your own Panel mounted connectors instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I plan to just tape mine to be back of the monitor.

I think it will come with its own casing. That's the plan for the factory shipped ones anyway (as I understand it).

I think it will come with its own casing. That's the plan for the factory shipped ones anyway (as I understand it).

Really? Where did you see this?

Pretty sure I read it in the comments section of one of the posts. That Liz lady said it. I wouldn't bet my house on it, but you can't really give an exposed piece of tech kit like that to kids (the target audience). It would be dead in five minutes. One pin damaged because of a tiny fall = bye bye raspberry pi! (I should have been a poet)

• Advertisement

There'll be no cases for the initial 10K batch,

but there will be cases in a few months time when they're finished designing them.

But if that first batch is delayed a few months, then you might just end up correct after all!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

I was actually fairly impressed by the gertboard video they have over on the site. Looks very easy to make use of.

I'm half considering doing a self-built solar power solution at home and you could use a motor like that to make sure the panels were always facing exactly the right direction and still have the pi available for watching movies etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

#01 of the ones on ebay (http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Raspberry-Pi-Model-B-beta-board-01-limited-series-10-/180786868894?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2a17bcb29e) has 27 bids ATM, currently at £3500

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Yeah, lots of people seem to be donating to the charity which is pretty cool.

Very heart warming story on there today! :)

http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/503

Fair play to them.

Holy ****, they've already began manufacturing the boards!!!!

http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/509

What an awesome surprise!

Nice! :D

Anyone going to get a gertboard add on? I think I will after seeing that video with the motor. I thought that was cool.

Nice! :D

Anyone going to get a gertboard add on? I think I will after seeing that video with the motor. I thought that was cool.

I reckon there's going to be a **** load of other GPIO boards made for it too, from various projects!

I must admit I know relatively little about electronics, but I'm interested in learning and that seems like a decent way of fluting around. If only there were more hours in the day....

• Advertisement

I must admit I know relatively little about electronics, but I'm interested in learning and that seems like a decent way of fluting around. If only there were more hours in the day....

In that case If I were you, I'd wait till there's tutorials and projects finished for external boards before jumping into it.
    Might be still handy to buy the Gertboard in advance, but there will probably be better boards made also.

If you want to jump into that world sooner you could buy an arduino, as there's plenty of finished projects out there for that right now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

To help get in the swing of things, why not buy a little electronic project kit? You can pick them up for like a tenner in Maplins / Peats or online. Something simple like making a board to control a fan / heater or similar. Should help give you a little understanding.

Oh, some basic C would probably help a little for compiling simple software to control external boards too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 64,749 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I was actually fairly impressed by the gertboard video they have over on the site.

Congratulations for being the first person ever to mention gertboard on boards.ie :cool: :)

Must say I was pretty impressed too with this demo:

unkel wrote: »
    Congratulations for being the first person ever to mention gertboard on boards.ie :cool: :)

This is clear proof that we need more nerds in Ireland! ;)

To help get in the swing of things, why not buy a little electronic project kit? You can pick them up for like a tenner in Maplins / Peats or online. Something simple like making a board to control a fan / heater or similar. Should help give you a little understanding.

Oh, some basic C would probably help a little for compiling simple software to control external boards too :)

Ah, I probably have what most people would consider a reasonable level of understanding. I have good C / C++ / other languages (been a coder for many years) and I have worked for a hardware company in the past so basic logic gates electrical circuits and so forth are ok with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Ah, I probably have what most people would consider a reasonable level of understanding. I have good C / C++ / other languages (been a coder for many years) and I have worked for a hardware company in the past so basic logic gates electrical circuits and so forth are ok with me.

Well sure then you're more than capable of creating a bit of control software for external boards such as those! No need to be so modest about your capabilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Awesome, I am definitively going to try get one of the first batch!!!

Quick question though, how pushed are people on paying more?

Like, if it was manufactured in England and had a quicker turnaround, would people be tempted to pay a little extra?

I know I would, but I'm an impatient git who likes to have his toys NOW :D

Tallon wrote: »
    Awesome, I am definitively going to try get one of the first batch!!!

Quick question though, how pushed are people on paying more?

Like, if it was manufactured in England and had a quicker turnaround, would people be tempted to pay a little extra?

I know I would, but I'm an impatient git who likes to have his toys NOW :D

Yeah I would definitely, but charging a higher price defeats the whole aim of this charity foundation.

They are trying to get these things in the hands of school kids, for as cheap as possible so they can actually learn some proper computer skills like kids did in the 80s.

Not just the MS WORD 101 dumbed down bull**** that people (myself included) have been thought since then in schools.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Ah, I perfectly understand that.. But what if the had a model C? Just for the fanboys :)

Advertisement