Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shane Lowry - 2019 Champion Golfer of The Year (note first post please for posting guidance)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Dr Devious

abff wrote: »
    Not so much a touchy subject as inappropriate timing. Let's just celebrate his achievement for a day or two before we start banging on again about his physique.

How many people here would gladly have that physique along side with his golfing ability....I suspect quite a few.

BTW he's not that bad, actually looks bigger on the telly than in the flesh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭TrapperChamonix

searay wrote: »
    His schedule for this year was planned to skip the early season low money events in Asia, play the high money events when they reached Europe with a view to qualifying for and peaking in the big money events late in the season.

He has doubled his winnings and made the top 50 so he got it right.

Once he is in the top 50 at Christmas, his schedule for 2015 will be based around the wgc events and majors with higher ranking points. He'll probably drop out of the top 50 early in the new year but will rely on getting good points in these events to stay in the top 50.

Getting in to the top 50 seems to be harder than staying there. Some players get in through a surprise win in a big event. He had to really grind it out to get there, especially turning it around after a bad finish last week. That should stand to him.

I think we should be looking forward to seeing more of him at the big events.

The bit I done like is how invitational events can have very high ranking points which only serve to lock people out of the ability to earn points. The Masters is obviously the most prominent one with the highest points but the same can be said of the World Matchplay and Tigers invitational.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭abff

The bit I done like is how invitational events can have very high ranking points which only serve to lock people out of the ability to earn points. The Masters is obviously the most prominent one with the highest points but the same can be said of the World Matchplay and Tigers invitational.

There is definitely an obstacle to making it to the top table. Once you get inside the top 50, you have a definite advantage against those outside it, because of the 'easy' points that are available from some tournaments. I'm not sure I'd include the Masters as an easy opportunity to pick up points, but it's a lot better to be in it than not.

I think the two invitational events that are on next week are the most egregious example of a 'golden circle' approach. When they were unofficial tournaments, it could be argued that they were just a gravy train with no knock on effects. But now that they qualify for world ranking points (and the Nedbank also counts towards the Race to Dubai), they will have an impact on players' ability to qualify for other tournaments and I don't think that's really fair.

Having said that, it is what it is, and I hope that Shane picks up a whole load of points next week to consolidate his position in the top 50.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭loadwire

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

So we have one golfer in the world's top 320. This must be the worst ever time for Irish Republic golf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

So we have one golfer in the world's top 320. This must be the worst ever time for Irish Republic golf.
    What a stupid observation You might as well say Offaly only has one golfer in the world's top 1000

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

What a stupid observation You might as well say Offaly only has one golfer in the world's top 1000

You've already made an ape of yourself on the Monty thread, now back to your lego.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

You've already made an ape of yourself on the Monty thread, now back to your lego.
    Glad to see you now realise your observation was asinine

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Can we get back to talking about Shane please?

Does anyone know when they are announcing the final field for the Nedbank Challenge? There are only 15 names listed at present.

The press are saying that Shane is guaranteed being in the top 50 at year end, no matter what happens over the next 5 weeks. I'd be more certain of this if there are no more than 3 players in the Nedbank who would be capable of overtaking him, assuming the worst possible combination of results from his perspective. Once the field is finalised, I'll be able to work out the estimated world ranking points available and whether he is at risk.

By the way, I've looked at the field for the Hero World Challenge and the lowest ranked player is at 38 in this week's world rankings. It's a pretty strong field, with 7 of the top ten and 16 of the top 24 in the world rankings. Based on this week's world rankings (which are not likely to change much over the next week), it will be worth 46 points to the winner (same as last year).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭cairny

abff wrote: »
    Does anyone know when they are announcing the final field for the Nedbank Challenge? There are only 15 names listed at present.

The press are saying that Shane is guaranteed being in the top 50 at year end, no matter what happens over the next 5 weeks. I'd be more certain of this if there are no more than 3 players in the Nedbank who would be capable of overtaking him, assuming the worst possible combination of results from his perspective. Once the field is finalised, I'll be able to work out the estimated world ranking points available and whether he is at risk.

By the way, I've looked at the field for the Hero World Challenge and the lowest ranked player is at 38 in this week's world rankings. It's a pretty strong field, with 7 of the top ten and 16 of the top 24 in the world rankings. Based on this week's world rankings (which are not likely to change much over the next week), it will be worth 46 points to the winner (same as last year).

Yourself and Jerry S have been far more accurate and informative that the press all year, thanks a mill for all the work. Really added to the enjoyment knowing what he needed to do each week.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I think Shane has made tremendous strides in every aspect of his golfing life. Fair play to him, and continued success too.

cairny wrote: »
    Yourself and Jerry S have been far more accurate and informative that the press all year, thanks a mill for all the work. Really added to the enjoyment knowing what he needed to do each week.

Thanks. It's nice to know that I'm not the only one who's interested in keeping on top of the latest position.

I'll post an update as soon as I see the final field for the Nedbank.

Given the awful start Shane had to the season, I would never have dreamed he could make the top 50. He has given a lot of pleasure to a lot of people this season - he has been great to watch and I just hope he can maintain this and push on higher up the rankings.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Maths1

The Nedbank challenge field has been published

Alexander Levy,L.Oosthuizen,Jonas Blixt, Tommy Fleetwood, M.Siem M Warren are some of the names that have been added to the list.John Senden is playing this week and next week on the Australian Tour, and K. Oda is playing this week on the Japanese Tour , i do not know if he is playing next week. These are all the closest ranked to Shane.
    So it looks as if Shane still has some work to do to stay in the top 50

I hope things fall right for him

• Registered Users Posts: 20,742 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Maths1 wrote: »

Alexander Levy,L.Oosthuizen,Jonas Blixt, Tommy Fleetwood, M.Siem M Warren are some of the names that have been added to the list.John Senden is playing this week and next week on the Australian Tour, and K. Oda is playing this week on the Japanese Tour , i do not know if he is playing next week. These are all the closest ranked to Shane.

:p:p:p:p:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:p:p:

I can't find the entry list....can you point me to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Maths1

I found the entry list under

Sunshine tour/it begins here.Press on where it says Oosthuizen added to field you will see the entry list . I think the winner of this weeks tournament in South Africa gets added to the field. Hope this helps

I found the entry list under

Sunshine tour/it begins here.Press on where it says Oosthuizen added to field you will see the entry list . I think the winner of this weeks tournament in South Africa gets added to the field. Hope this helps

Excellent.....they don't make it easy! So thanks for your efforts which benefit us all here.

Based on the current field and this week's world rankings, the Nedbank will be worth 42 points to the winner, with last place getting 1.90 points. This could go up to 44 points for the winner, depending on who qualifies by winning this week's Cape Town Open.

Shane is currently projected to be 45th at year end and seems to be reasonably safe for a place in the top 50. But there are a number of players in the top 60 who are playing over the next couple of weeks and the picture will be a bit clearer after next weekend's results are in.

At that stage, I'll work out what different players will need to do to pass Shane in the year end rankings and whether he is at risk of falling outside the top 50 at year end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,505 ✭✭✭Speak Now

He is 36th in ranking points won this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

PARlance wrote: »

Should use a stylus typing on that phone!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

vienne86 wrote: »
    Should use a stylus typing on that phone!

I don't get you?

Hope you're not implying that Shane has fat fingers :)

PARlance wrote: »
    I don't get you?

Hope you're not implying that Shane has fat fingers :)

Most of us suffer from fat fingers when it comes to typing on the phone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭shabalala

Got engaged this week in Dubai apparantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

shabalala wrote: »

That's on a different topic than the fat fingers one presumably :confused::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭shabalala

That's on a different topic than the fat fingers one presumably :confused::eek:

Quite possible it may be related........ :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Good for him! :)

• Advertisement

Good man, Shane. Wish them every happiness.

Advertisement