Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nissan xtrail p0120

• 16-05-2012 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭

have a 2003 nissan xtrail 2.2 with a fault code p0120 accelerator position sensor,it won,t rev up past 2000 rpm
    i have a second hand pedal but no different when fitted so my question is does it need to be calibrated to the ecm and if so can this be done manually without the use of diagnostic equipment?
    thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

paultronix wrote: »
    have a 2003 nissan xtrail 2.2 with a fault code p0120 accelerator position sensor,it won,t rev up past 2000 rpm
    i have a second hand pedal but no different when fitted so my question is does it need to be calibrated to the ecm and if so can this be done manually without the use of diagnostic equipment?
    thanks.

I'm no expert but googling that fault code suggest throttle position sensor is at fault. This is different than accelerator position sensor. Its in/at the throttle body itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭crosshair1

Check that the earth strap isnt broken on the front n/s above gearbox
    You can adjust the app sensor screws to allow the fault to clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭paultronix

thanks a million crosshair 1 you were 100% correct,a broken earth it was so all sorted now and thanks again. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4 gregjregan

I have the exact same problem - fault code p0120 on 03 x-trail.
    Dealer wants 850 euro just for the accel pedal.

"Check that the earth strap isnt broken on the front n/s above gearbox"
    Can you help with the above instructions? Where exactly is earth strap?

"You can adjust the app sensor screws to allow the fault to clear."
    Can you give more detail on what to do?

Sorry if I am asking basic questions.

Thanks,
    Greg

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭paultronix

follow your negative lead from the battery down to where its bolted to the front of your gearbox and see if the lead is broken?
    if so repair or replace it and see if you get your pedal back,if it is o.k you don't need to worry about calibration step.

• Advertisement

Cable goes from negative of battery to top of gearbox. Half way it is tied off and here cable very worn (but not fully through). Will try and replace and see if it makes a difference.
    Thanks for info.

Just to follow up on this...
    I replaced negative battery lead and reset fault code and everything is working now.
    Negative battery lead goes from battery to top of gearbox, but is bolted on to chassis half way. Cable was very corroded at chassis (nearly worn through). From what I read on nissan servie manual, this (corrosion/worn cable) will cause drop in current, hence the above circuit fault.
    Also I did not get a nissan battery cable. Just cut the existing cable (just after the chassis connection) and made up a short cable that went from chassis to gearbox. Not recommending you do this, but it worked.
    One other thing, there is a process for resetting fault code (done with sequence of pressing accellerator pedal a set number of times). This will not work if there is a accellerator sensor fault - you need to reset code with code reader (dealer or other).
    Again, thanks for your help (above) - saved me a lot of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 stephan1993

Hi everyone, I have a 2003 2.2 SVE TD, and it wont go over 2000ish rpm, there are no strange noises or any warning lights on the dashboard. The fault code is p0120 which my friend said is the throttle position sensor or accelerator position sensor. I went to Nissan dealers they asking £450-£1000 depending on what need to be done.

If someone could help me, I would really appriciate!!!

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

Have you checked the things listed earlier in this thread?

It's a pretty standard failsafe when there's a problem with drive-by-wire accelerator systems that the engine is speed limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 stephan1993

Hi, i just checked the the negative wire going from the battery to the chassis then to the gearbox they look ok but im not sure!!!
    Should I change the wire and check? and also where is the throttle body so I can can check if the wires on that are ok!

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 mickey02

can anyone tell me the throttle sequence for my 2002 Nissan x trail after I fitted new pedal [used] thanks mickey02

Advertisement