Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Insurer not trustworthy

• 15-07-2014 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭

My insurance was due to renewal on 12th July (previous cover valid till end of 11th July) I'm with Allianz.

I was looking at quotes from other insurers for a last while extensively, but as I didn't find anything with better price-to-cover ratio, I decided to renew my policy with Allianz.
    I filled in online renewal form on 10th July late evening.
    To make sure on 11th July afternoon, I rang them to confirm that my premium was paid, and that I'll be covered after midnight - they said yes, and that my disc and cert was just posted down to me today (11th July).
    All good, until today.

Disc and cert arrived in post today, and cert clearly says that cover is valid from 12th July from 10:00am.
    Literally it means that I was not insured for 10 hours.
    I've done about 150km in that time, being uninsured, and not knowing about it.
    Have I had any accident I'd be in deep sh1t most likely.

Would you trust insurer doing stuff like that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭MCD.

You were insured. Documentation error by the person (or system) who issued your cert.

If it bothers you, you are entitled to have cert corrected. But given that we are a few days past the 10 hours in question.

I'd register your dissatisfaction with them anyway. They ll probably shave 20 lids off the premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Did you fill out the online renewal form wrong, or forget to set policy start time to 00:01 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

a trustworthy insurer :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Did you fill out the online renewal form wrong, or forget to set policy start time to 00:01 ?

Online form for renewal only includes "renewal date". It doesn't include "renewal time" form. I entered the right date.

CiniO wrote: »
    Online form for renewal only includes "renewal date". It doesn't include "renewal time" form. I entered the right date.

That's unusual.

Does the old policy expire 11th at 11:59PM, or does it say?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

If you renewed it there would be not loss of cover regardless of what the cert says. However if you purchased a brand new policy online you may not have had cover.

That's unusual.

Does the old policy expire 11th at 11:59PM, or does it say?

Old policy said the following:
    Period of Cover: From 00:01 on 12th July 2013 to 11th July 2014.

Then I received renewal letter, stating that my renewal is on 12th July.
    When entering renewal payment details online, it asked for renewal date, which I entered 12/07/2014 (in line with what was on renewal letter).

And on my new cert it says clearly:
    Period of Cover: From 10:00 on 12Th July 2014 to 11th July 2015.

If you renewed it there would be not loss of cover regardless of what the cert says. However if you purchased a brand new policy online you may not have had cover.

I renewed old policy. I didn't purchase new cover online.

Strange, mine has (always had) a start and end time as well as date. And I've always been able to select the start time for a new policy.

It sounds like it's just a glitch in their system. I'd ring them up and tell them, you're potentially not the first or the last person it might happen to.

Strange, mine has (always had) a start and end time as well as date. And I've always been able to select the start time for a new policy.
    Generally speaking allianz online renewal feature is very limited.
    They don't really offer anything except from accepting payment for already authorised renewal.
    It works pretty much that I agree about renewal quote over the phone with them, they send me a letter with all renewal details (renewal date, premium, cover provided, etc), and all that online renewal feature can be used is to enter your details, policy number, renewal date (so they can match it to already existing renewal quote in their system) and payment details (f.e. card details).

It sounds like it's just a glitch in their system. I'd ring them up and tell them, you're potentially not the first or the last person it might happen to.
    I'll ring them within next available occasion.
    Or possibly better scribe an email to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

CiniO wrote: »

Unless I'm mistaken, online renewals are usually set by default from midnight on the day your insurance commences, so you would always be covered for the whole of that first day. I'd still contact them to clarify, as others might be caught out by this anomaly. Ignorance is no defence in the eyes of the law, but the insured would naturally be ignorant of any problem if they don't have any physical documentation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Cino, AA car insurance did something similar and left me with no cover for 4 weeks in which time I drive all around Britain and Ireland. I had to get them to check the recording of my call to prove it. Seems to have been a clerical error. I got a refund at the time also and was told I would have been covered in the event of an accident.

I'll never return to them however.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

Is the policy number the same as the previous years one? if so, there was no gap in cover. Just a print issue which can be amended.

Advertisement