Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Advice - Scrapping old car and reselling the new one

• 12-06-2010 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I have a '98 Avensis in need of serious repair - not worth it (>200k miles). Looking to scrap it through the scrappage scheme to get some value for it, but sell on the new car immediately from the dealer. I would never take posession of the car, just leave it with the dealer until change of ownership is through. I have discussed it with a couple of dealers who are prepared to facilitate the arrangement.

I reckon with some of the deals out there it should be possible to get value for my old car and give good value to the person buying the new car.

I would not buy the car without having a buyer lined up, so they get to specify the car, and I am not left with something I don't want.

I would appreciate any comments or advice on my plan.
    I have posted this add for a Micra on Donedeal:
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1365479
    However I don't care what car the deal is on; it is purely a financial transaction.

I will probably also put something on Carzone and/or Adverts.ie; any other recommendations?
    Am I better off putting in a general ad, or advertising specific models? Which ones?

I know I am a bit late in the year with this, but a family member who had been thinking of changing has now decided to hold off for a year or two.

I am looking to get another Avensis, 2.0 D4D 5 door, the best that €8-8.5 can buy!

Thanks.

John
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

You what? Doesn't make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭johnb25

Confab wrote: »
    You what? Doesn't make sense.

Why not?....split the scrappage allowance with someone who does not have a car to scrap, something in it for both of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Why not just advertise the Avensis for €1000, saying "only good for scrap" of "in need of expensive repairs"?

Thoie wrote: »
    Why not just advertise the Avensis for €1000, saying "only good for scrap" of "in need of expensive repairs"?

I did not do it that way because under the terms of the scrappage scheme the person availing of the scheme has to have owned/insured the car for 12-18 months prior to scrapping. I would have to be the first registered owner of the new car, and then transfer the ownership to the real intended owner.

However now that you put it like that, maybe I could offer it for scrappage at a price, on the understanding that I would have to be the first registered owner of the new car being purchased, and would transfer ownership immediately.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Isn't that fraud? If I was planning something like this I wouldn't go shouting about it. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,111 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

JustinOval wrote: »
    Isn't that fraud? If I was planning something like this I wouldn't go shouting about it. :D

How is it fraud? The OP is fulfilling the terms of the scrappage scheme. If he or she want to sell the new car on straight away then that is his/her right, the Government don't care once the old car scrapped has been owned by the current owner for 12 months or more and the new car registered in his name. He/she can then sell the car on when they like.

shrewd, very shrewd. . . . . . Not

bazz26 wrote: »
    How is it fraud? The OP is fulfilling the terms of the scrappage scheme. If he or she want to sell the new car on straight away then that is his/her right, the Government don't care once the old car scrapped has been owned by the current owner for 12 months or more and the new car registered in his name. He/she can then sell the car on when they like.

I really don't know. I would have thought they had built something into the scheme to prevent this happening... I asked, I didn't state it was. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Seems like a bit of a pain for 1500 quid.. but if you have the time and it works then happy days!! money in your pocket..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

If the buyer couldn't negotiate a huge discount for cash in the first place they'd have to be complete tools, also remember the car they would be buying from you would be second hand meaning the car is worth a coupla k less immediately. I can't see it being worth it for them. sorry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭dirtydiesel

Its a bit of a crazy idea that just might work for you. As mentioned a pitfall is the fact that the brand new car will have 2 registered owners within a week of been purchased.
    Still your offer might suit someone and I see no harm in trying it.
    Please loose the green micra in the add you linked with your post, there must be a more appealing car you could use.
    Best of luck with it anyway.

bazz26 wrote: »

Exactly...the only restriction in the scheme is that the old car has been owned by the person buying the new car....buying = first registered owner.

Seems like a bit of a pain for 1500 quid.. but if you have the time and it works then happy days!! money in your pocket..

I am looking to spend €8k - €9k on my next car....€1k is a reasonable chunk of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,263 ✭✭✭alias no.9

€1.5k is not a big discount for a 'pre-registered' car. The registration cert will list it as having a previous owner, even if your buyer drives it off the forecourt with 0 miles, you will have metaphorically driven it off the forecourt already with the associated depreciation.

johnb25 wrote: »
    I am looking to spend €8k - €9k on my next car....€1k is a reasonable chunk of it.

You won't make anywhere near a grand this way unless you find a total and utter fcuktard (yes, I try to use that word once a day on boards :D). Scrap a sh1tbox against a car and the garage don't get a grand from the government, €350 ish iirc. The rest of the discount is available for straight sale customers too.

All that add will bring you at best is loads of annoying phonecalls, you'd have been just as well off putting your €3 on a Spain / Brazil final in the World Cup, chance you'll get €30 back as well as the €3 ;)

RobAMerc wrote: »
    If the buyer couldn't negotiate a huge discount for cash in the first place they'd have to be complete tools, also remember the car they would be buying from you would be second hand meaning the car is worth a coupla k less immediately. I can't see it being worth it for them. sorry

I know some of the manufacturers scrappage offers can probably be negotiated but the govt are putting in an additional €1,500 that can't be negotiated...
    Its a bit of a crazy idea that just might work for you. As mentioned a pitfall is the fact that the brand new car will have 2 registered owners within a week of been purchased.
    Still your offer might suit someone and I see no harm in trying it.
    Please loose the green micra in the add you linked with your post, there must be a more appealing car you could use.
    Best of luck with it anyway.

Regarding the two owners, the second owner would be the first driver, so they still get a brand new car.
    The value of the car in three or more years when they go to trade it in will be the same as one bought direct and driven by the first owner, except that someone getting a scrappage discount at the front end will have lost less in depreciation.

I picked the Micra as it has a good scrappage offer, therefore more in the deal for all...but fair comment...I wouldn't want to drive one.

Thanks for the comments.

I know some of the manufacturers scrappage offers can probably be negotiated but the govt are putting in an additional €1,500 that can't be negotiated...

Me thinks that is not the case tbh.

RoverJames wrote: »
    You won't make anywhere near a grand this way unless you find a total and utter fcuktard (yes, I try to use that word once a day on boards :D). Scrap a sh1tbox against a car and the garage don't get a grand from the government, €350 ish iirc. The rest of the discount is available for straight sale customers too.

Are you saying that the Govt is not putting up €1,500 for scrappage of old cars against the purchase of a new qualifying car, or that the dealers are not passing it on?
    Also, are you saying that all of the manufacturers scrappage offers are 100% available as cash discounts anyway? I'm sure that a proportion of it will be, but not it all.

Are you saying that the Govt is not putting up €1,500 for scrappage of old cars against the purchase of a new qualifying car, or that the dealers are not passing it on?

I'm saying the former.

Me thinks that is not the case tbh.

How...offering discounts to cash customers that are not offered to scrappage customers?

• Advertisement

I'm saying the former.

I inquired with a number of dealers about scrappage offers and none of them protested that the Govt were not honouring the scheme. Surely they would be shouting it from the rooftops.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Regarding the two owners, the second owner would be the first driver, so they still get a sbrand new ecar.
    y

yes, they get a brand new car with but are the second registered owner. That whether you like it or not makes it worth less than if they were the first owner. Couple this with the fact that the discount achieved could possibly be matched by cash discount, factor in the hassle plus general mistrust of folk that it could be some sort of scam - I doubt you plan will work. Sorry, I'm not against it I just dont think it would be worth while for a cash buyer.

How much discount will the buyer actually get for bypassing a direct cash deal and putting your name on the log before theirs?

How much discount will the buyer actually get for bypassing a direct cash deal and putting your name on the log before theirs?

On the Micra above on Done Deal, the dealer is quoting €15k for cash. I'm asking €13.5, so at least €1,500, maybe more if we can agree on an amount.

The values will vary with the different deals on offer. Generally the scrappage offers are a greater proportion of the price (better value) on the smaller cars.

As I mentioned above, I believe the second owner thing will make little difference when trading in in a few years time. It is only then it really becomes relevant; just a paper value while they own it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭jaffa20

On the Micra above on Done Deal, the dealer is quoting €15k for cash. I'm asking €13.5, so at least €1,500, maybe more if we can agree on an amount.

The values will vary with the different deals on offer. Generally the scrappage offers are a greater proportion of the price (better value) on the smaller cars.

As I mentioned above, I believe the second owner thing will make little difference when trading in in a few years time. It is only then it really becomes relevant; just a paper value while they own it.

So, how are you making a profit out of this? You are only passing a discount onto a buyer who buys a car for 13.5k rather than 15k...

jaffa20 wrote: »
    So, how are you making a profit out of this? You are only passing a discount onto a buyer who buys a car for 13.5k rather than 15k...

That's what I'm trying to figure out...

That's what I'm trying to figure out...

The scrappage cost from the dealer is less than €13k when the Nissan scrappage is included. From what dealers are quoting me there is enough in double-scrappage deals to make it worth while for both parties.
    When I press them that the manufacturers scrappage must be available as a discount for cash customers they insist not.

you should go on the dragons den !

you should go on the dragons den !

I doubt if any of them are looking for a small little runabout:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement