Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good talker but I have a lisp

• 12-11-2014 11:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭ Angelica Great Photocopier

Well lads, I'm a good public speaker, I don't get nervous I'm Charismatic and energetic and I'm just generally good at communicating with people. The problem is that I have a lisp. It's slight but noticeable. I considered a career in TV and radio presenting but there's not a lot of jobs going and I wouldn't get a job due to my lisp anyway (If I did get a degree in presenting and was shot down by a company for my lisp, could I sue for discrimination? Random thought). I kinda struggle with some words as most people with a lisp do such as "Sentences" and "Breasts" to name a few. I also plan on becoming a secondary school teacher and I don't want to be mocked by students. I'm 16 by the way, any advice or help on how to reduce my lisp or anything info in general would be cool.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Jonathan Woss has a lisp and look at what he has done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭ Angelica Great Photocopier

skimpydoo wrote: »
    Jonathan Woss has a lisp and look at what he has done.

You're not funny

• Registered Users Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

I was not trying to be funny. I have a speech impediment too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

You're not funny

What the other poster said was perfectly acceptable. Jonathan Ross is a great example of someone, while famous for how he speaks, is a mainstream successful presenter so it proves it can be done!

PS, you might want to think twice about describing yourself as charismatic. That's an attribute you should really let others say of you...if it's accurate. Describing yourself as such makes you anything but!

I realised that after I typed it, sorry hope I didn't come off as a W*nker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭sadie9

Why don't you ring your local health centre and ask for an appointment with a speech therapist? They are trained to help with this. They will give you the right exercises to do to improve it as much as it can be.
    A lot of your worries are to do with how other people might be thinking of you. To be honest, they are worrying about themselves too much and what people are thinking of them, to be caring a jot about your occasional lisp. Some people find lisps very appealing and that it adds to someone's character and individuality. If someone teases you it is because they are feeling very vulnerable themselves and it helps to direct attention to someone else.
    To be a teacher with a lisp would be a good example to any kids/teenagers of someone who is not perfect, but is living a life doing what they want to do and doing it very well and not worrying what thoughts are in other people's heads.
    You are only 16, so chances are you will find it easier as you get older, and you won't care as much what people think of you.
    Best of luck in your ambitions to be a teacher. And as for this thought ' I wouldn't get a job due to my lisp anyway'... remember that a thought is just a bunch of neurons firing in your head. It is not based on experience, it is just your mind trying to protect you from having your feelings hurt. That is a job our minds take too seriously most of the time.

sadie9 wrote: »
    Why don't you ring your local health centre and ask for an appointment with a speech therapist? They are trained to help with this. They will give you the right exercises to do to improve it as much as it can be.
    A lot of your worries are to do with how other people might be thinking of you. To be honest, they are worrying about themselves too much and what people are thinking of them, to be caring a jot about your occasional lisp. Some people find lisps very appealing and that it adds to someone's character and individuality. If someone teases you it is because they are feeling very vulnerable themselves and it helps to direct attention to someone else.
    To be a teacher with a lisp would be a good example to any kids/teenagers of someone who is not perfect, but is living a life doing what they want to do and doing it very well and not worrying what thoughts are in other people's heads.
    You are only 16, so chances are you will find it easier as you get older, and you won't care as much what people think of you.
    Best of luck in your ambitions to be a teacher. And as for this thought ' I wouldn't get a job due to my lisp anyway'... remember that a thought is just a bunch of neurons firing in your head. It is not based on experience, it is just your mind trying to protect you from having your feelings hurt. That is a job our minds take too seriously most of the time.

Much respect, everything taken on board (pardon the pun).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 33 Funtrepreneur

Suffering suckatash.Sylvester Stallone sorted a stupendous and successful career even with his speech problems. Success stumbles across souls who seek it. Search and you will succeed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

You're young so I'd say your at an opportune time to get some speech therapy in early to curb it before adulthood. Seriously consider it.

You're young so I'd say your at an opportune time to get some speech therapy in early to curb it before adulthood. Seriously consider it.

How would a man go about doing that and how much on average? Thanks for your reply.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

How would a man go about doing that and how much on average? Thanks for your reply.

I really have no idea; google is your friend. Maybe ask your doctor or at a Chemist's or something.

Advertisement