Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What is the height of Carrauntoohil Mountain ??

• 06-02-2013 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28 BriangC

What is the height of Carrauntoohil Mountain ???

It's our highest mountain so surely someone knows. The height has changed more than a few times on maps over the last decade but the height of other mountains have not.

I want to get to the bottom of it and would like to know what ye think ?

The difference range from 1,038m to 1,041 - thats 8 to 9 feet in height???

There are a few technical reasons (sea level, etc) for differences but surely we should be able to stick to one height for the highest mountain in Ireland ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Opp's misread the thread

• BriangC wrote: »
    What is the height of Carrauntoohil Mountain ???

It's our highest mountain so surely someone knows. The height has changed more than a few times on maps over the last decade but the height of other mountains have not.

I want to get to the bottom of it and would like to know what ye think ?

The difference range from 1,038m to 1,041 - thats 8 to 9 feet in height???

There are a few technical reasons (sea level, etc) for differences but surely we should be able to stick to one height for the highest mountain in Ireland ?

It's whatever mountainviews.ie says!

The reason I say that is that they have pretty much the top of the range equipment for measuring height, cost a lot of money last year. It measures down to some tiny fraction of a metre. They have found a few significant discrepancies afaik, metres out on some peaks. On the other hand, know they've also been up a lot of the most popular ones, and pretty sure if they found that their previous records were wrong, particularly for the most famous summit in the country, it would have led to a big announcement of a revision. Would go by their info far more than OSI tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 BriangC

It's whatever mountainviews.ie says!

The reason I say that is that they have pretty much the top of the range equipment for measuring height, cost a lot of money last year. It measures down to some tiny fraction of a metre. They have found a few significant discrepancies afaik, metres out on some peaks. On the other hand, know they've also been up a lot of the most popular ones, and pretty sure if they found that their previous records were wrong, particularly for the most famous summit in the country, it would have led to a big announcement of a revision. Would go by their info far more than OSI tbh.

Thanks Conor.
    I think I'll go with 3,407ft (1,039m) from mountainviews.ie so. It is a great site alright, fair play to them for all the work but I guess they have a passion for all things vertical. Must contact them.

Conclusion: Carrauntoohil is sinking! It was 3,414 ft (1,041m) not so long ago. There is a story here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭paulocon2

BriangC wrote: »
    Thanks Conor.
    I think I'll go with 3,407ft (1,039m) from mountainviews.ie so. It is a great site alright, fair play to them for all the work but I guess they have a passion for all things vertical. Must contact them.

Conclusion: Carrauntoohil is sinking! It was 3,414 ft (1,041m) not so long ago. There is a story here :)

The people at Mountainviews have a serious passion for the mountains of Ireland. The guy who runs the site (Simon) is really helpful with any queries you may have.

Advertisement