Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

03 Audi A4 Avant TDI High mileage

Options
  • 17-01-2008 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭

It seems from other posts on these cars that as long as the service history is satisfactory, you can pick up decent cars at affordable prices, and that these cars can do well into the 150 area without much issue ...
    I'm wondering if there is anything in particular that should have been done at the 100K mark such as cam belt etc.
    One I'm looking at is 103K miles
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,613 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The Coils can cause issue with misfiring 50 bills each to replace. other than that usual stuff shocks general wear and tear.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭maidhc

diesels don't have coils...

opps sorry mis-read:o omit first post!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭gafarrell

It seems from other posts on these cars that as long as the service history is satisfactory, you can pick up decent cars at affordable prices, and that these cars can do well into the 150 area without much issue ...
    I'm wondering if there is anything in particular that should have been done at the 100K mark such as cam belt etc.
    One I'm looking at is 103K miles
    Thanks

I have an A4 (2003) with 168000 miles on it (1.9 TDI). So far i didnt have an ounce of trouble. I know i will have to change the clutch soon but thats just normal wear and tear. I seen one recently with 220000 miles and its still going like new. Just make sure it has a good service history and it should be OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

you can pick up decent cars at affordable prices

Not necessarily- Used diesels are disproportionately overvalued at the moment. If the car is fairly fresh it will be artificially inflated in value. The new A4 is out soon and having a high mileage 'old shape' approaching 5-ish yrs old is bound to devalue considerably during your ownership. Especially if you will put up lots of miles yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Poncherello

Thanks folks

I wont be putting up much mileage and surely if a new model is coming out it will be the 1 and 2 year old cars that devalue proportionately more than mine will ?

You right about the drop in value, it always tend to effect the relatively newer years 2-3 years. The older models tend to level out in value.

Thanks folks

I wont be putting up much mileage and surely if a new model is coming out it will be the 1 and 2 year old cars that devalue proportionately more than mine will ?

Normally yes but you could use the phrase that circumstances will conspire to tip it off the ege int the next year or two and it's artificial high value will soon end.

If you are doing less than 10k a year get a petrol one now. In a couple of years of the new VRT regime, a used diesel will be viable for most people and not just those doing very high mileage as it is today.

listermint wrote: »
    You right about the drop in value, it always tend to effect the relatively newer years 2-3 years. The older models tend to level out in value.

Everyone knows this. 5 years old is usually the best time to buy something like this. My point is simply - In THIS case, the A4- RIGHT NOW is not a good time to buy a used diesel one that's 5 years old. You'll pay a premium right now as the car becomes just another older A4.

cantdecide wrote: »
    In a couple of years of the new VRT regime, a used diesel will be viable for most people and not just those doing very high mileage as it is today.

Not sure I understand what you are saying

• Advertisement

Not sure I understand what you are saying

You know that new low emmitting cars ie diesels mainly are coming down in price as a result of significant changes to VRT starting in July?? (hopefully I'm not insulting your intelligence)

At the moment, because VRT is based on CCs it means that a 2.0l petrol pays the same VRT as a 2.0l diesel. From July VRT will be linked to engine emmissions (see sticky). Since diesel emmits less CO2, their VRT band is changing so the retail price of diesel cars are dropping significantly from July on.

Effectively it will make new car buyers choose diesels becasue the equivalent petrol cars will be more expensive. At the moment because diesel cars have a premium attaached to them, they are only viable for people doing VERY high mileage.

So this time buy a cheaper petrol car and carry on with your low mileage and next time you change, get a diesel when they are more affordable than they are now.

Understand, cheers

Unfortunately there is not a great selection of Petrol versions going around, those that I have seen tend to be Turbo Sports which pushes the insurance up considerably for me

Turbo Sports which pushes the insurance up considerably for me

Are you sure??

The most significant change in the Sport models is the factory lowered suspension which in itself doesn't increase performance. I think the 1.8T is the best engine for the A4.I'd say that the A4 1.8T Sport is the best A4 IMO

I've said a thousand times on here that insurance is based 99% on you these days (unlike when I startd driving). I went from a 1.9 TDi A4 to a 2.8 petrol A6 Sport without precious little change to my insurance.

Advertisement