Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch to 5k thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Nuts102 wrote: »
    On week two and must say i am enjoying it. The programme is good and i look forward to finishing it.

Just a quick question is it a bad idea to do it more than 3 times a week. I feel i could do it 5 times a week but it might burn me out.
    hi nuts. i did the programme over a year and a half ago and loved it and it was very successful for me. i would advise to stick to three days for duration of the 9 weeks as it's very important to give your body time to rest and recover between sessions, if like me, you are coming from a base of a very little activity. you might increase possibility of injury if you're not recovered enough. be patient but it's great that you are so enthusiastic! just my two cent... best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,662 ✭✭✭Nuts102

Ososlo wrote: »
    hi nuts. i did the programme over a year and a half ago and loved it and it was very successful for me. i would advise to stick to three days for duration of the 9 weeks as it's very important to give your body time to rest and recover between sessions, if like me, you are coming from a base of a very little activity. you might increase possibility of injury if you're not recovered enough. be patient but it's great that you are so enthusiastic! just my two cent... best of luck!

Thanks can i ask if you think the programme is good for weight loss. I have my diet in shape. I am planning on joining back the gym but i got bored of it last time i joined. I am actually enjoying jogging along listening to music which i am happy about i can't wait till i can go for long jogs.

On my weight i am about 1 stone overweight and not very active unless you include lot's of walking. I think i will take your advice and do it 3 days a week and follow the programme.

Thanks can i ask if you think the programme is good for weight loss. I have my diet in shape. I am planning on joining back the gym but i got bored of it last time i joined. I am actually enjoying jogging along listening to music which i am happy about i can't wait till i can go for long jogs.

On my weight i am about 1 stone overweight and not very active unless you include lot's of walking. I think i will take your advice and do it 3 days a week and follow the programme.
    i didn't start the programme for weight loss but as a replacement for.smoking but of course this programme of activity will help you lose weight. if you are eating sensibly and not treating yourself with extra food for the exercise you are doing then you will lose weight as you'll be expending more calories than you were before with the same amount of food. others might jump in with their experience of losing weight while doing the programme. i wouldn't say you would lose tons of weight straight off but it's a more gradual thing with running. main thing is to keep it up. consistency is everything with running. look forward to seeing your progress!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Bigdeadlydave

I havent lost weight but have slimmed down and toned up....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I've lost about three stone since I started the program last January, I still run three times a week, with one long run Sunday, long for at this stage me is 10 k and building .

Most of that loss was in the early months, I haven't lost much of late though I sweated buckets on this weeks runs, I'm not much over what I should be for my height now. I expect to continue to lose weight but at at slower rate than I have to date.

I wouldn't put all my weight loss down to the actual running as I have changed my diet considerable too , though the fact that I do run has definitely motivated me to eat a healthier diet to fuel my body properly and to stay away from the fast food etc that are not good for the waistline .

• Advertisement

This week for week 2 done it on Wednesday and Thursday. Woke up this morning my calfs are very tight. I think you are right about spacing it out over 3 times a week starting off anyway. But if the body is aching your doing something right.

Good advice from Ososlo , the last thing you want is to get an injury during the program, IMO the rest days are just as important as the run days. I find stretching particularly after my runs help with muscle tightness.

a foam roller is a great way to loosen out the tight calfs and other leg muscles. plus, the more you invest into your running at this point, the more likely you are to stick with it. worked for me anyways!! best of luck! if you can continue the programme in this heat you'll find it all so much easier when the weather cools down.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

On week 2 myself. I found week 1 tough and was going to repeat it but went ahead with week 2 anyway. Amazingly I found week 2 ok and the other night when I completed week 2 day 3 I actually went and done a week 1 one again straight after and flew through it.

Finished week 7! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭zsha

Hi Im hoping to start this during this week.
    Ive never ran before but I like the sounds of this and the way its structured to ease into the running part.
    I got good asics running gel runners today, so wearing them in today....
    Just want to ask is there anything I should make myself aware of? Also do you run before breakfast or have a very early breakfast and then run, or how long do you leave after food to run? Also can anybody recommend an app that has the prompts on it to tell you when to run walk etc but also has music on it? Im not big into having my own music so if I could get running music on an app it would be great.
    Any advice would be great, thanks

zsha wrote: »
    Hi Im hoping to start this during this week.
    Ive never ran before but I like the sounds of this and the way its structured to ease into the running part.
    I got good asics running gel runners today, so wearing them in today....
    Just want to ask is there anything I should make myself aware of? Also do you run before breakfast or have a very early breakfast and then run, or how long do you leave after food to run? Also can anybody recommend an app that has the prompts on it to tell you when to run walk etc but also has music on it? Im not big into having my own music so if I could get running music on an app it would be great.
    Any advice would be great, thanks

I used to do my runs before breakfast as that fitted in best with the rest of my day, I would drink a mug of water before going out. I wouldn't run within an hour of eating a meal.

I used the podcast from here an couldn't recommend them highly enough,

http://www.nhs.uk/tools/pages/couch-5k-running-plan.aspx

Take it easy, stick to the plan, and enjoy yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Smurf2000

On week 4. The 5 min runs where a killer. What's the best time to run if you r looking to lose some weight. Before breakfast?? Will the body access its reserves for the energy?? Ay advice would be welcome thanks.

There is some research that suggest that running before breakfast burns more fat that running after, have a Google about it.

Super thanks for that, will try both ways eve and morn see which works better. Def morn would suit better as work eves/nights so will try both thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭LumpyOtoole

Back again. I have finally completed Week 6. It took me a month to complete the full 25 min run :o I'm struggling with the heat and I've had an injury but I was determined not to quit.

I went out late last night - about 10pm - and it was still pretty warm so kudos to anyone going out earlier. I kept it slow and steady, didn't want to push myself too hard and give up. I brought a pedometer with me and in the 25 mins ran a total of 2.1km. I'm not going to be running 5k by the end of week 9 but I'm happy with what I am doing and looking forward to building on that over the next few weeks.

I'd leave running until at least 2 hours after eating, the stitches I got were terrible

Thanks, went out this eve and did day one....Very proud of myself, really didn't think Id be able for it! Roll on day 2!!!!!!!!!!

Started week 3 Monday. I flew through Monday and was delighted. I am just back and after about 10 mins i nearly gave up delighted i battled through it instead of quitting. The strange thing i was out drinking Sunday and was fine Monday and i struggled this morning.

Finished it today! Blasted through the 5k and just kept going :) Absolutely delighted, one of the best things I've ever done! Never thought I'd keep it up before I started, really surprised myself.

Gonna go for 10k now, anyone know if there is another app out there like the one for 5k?

• Advertisement

Fair play to you well done. I came across this for the 10k but not sure how good it is or what its like at all, but Id say its something similar to the c25k
    http://www.active.com/mobile/10k?force_a2=y
    Hope that helps a bit.

I just finished wk one this morn, am thrilled with myself for doing it, but the heat this morn was unreal even early, but like that I battled through....

Its great having this thread for support and tips etc

Finished it today! Blasted through the 5k and just kept going :) Absolutely delighted, one of the best things I've ever done! Never thought I'd keep it up before I started, really surprised myself

Gonna go for 10k now, anyone know if there is another app out there like the one for 5k?

Fantastic Dave! Well done! Delighted for you :D There's a whole new world opened up for you.
    Are you covering the full 5k now? I wasn't when I finished the programme so I just spent a month or so working up to the 5k. There are similar programmes for the 10k if you google them (there's an nhs one) but you mightn't really need another app/programme. You could just add on another 5 or 10 minutes onto your current runs each week and increase bit by bit but very gradually. Usual rule is not to increase by more than 10% each week. That's what I did and it worked out fine for me.
    Whatever you decide best of luck. Good idea to target a 10k race in a few months.

Fantastic Dave! Well done! Delighted for you :D There's a whole new world opened up for you.
    Are you covering the full 5k now? I wasn't when I finished the programme so I just spent a month or so working up to the 5k. There are similar programmes for the 10k if you google them (there's an nhs one) but you mightn't really need another app/programme. You could just add on another 5 or 10 minutes onto your current runs each week and increase bit by bit but very gradually. Usual rule is not to increase by more than 10% each week. That's what I did and it worked out fine for me.
    Whatever you decide best of luck. Good idea to target a 10k race in a few months.

Yeah I measured it an I'm actually doing slightly more than 5k in the time given...

I'm thinking of just adding on an extra five minutes every week and seeing how it goes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Starting Week 4 tomorrow.
    Just a question though. I went for a run Saturday without the c25k app just to see how far I could run before I physically could not go any longer.I used Runkeeper app to measure my distance/time.

I ran/jogged for over 10 mins,I couldn't believe it!!(especially as when I started a few weeks ago I could barely run for 30secs) I ran almost 2km in that 10 mins.
    I was thinking should I skip ahead a week and start week 5 or should I do week 4 anyway even though all the runs are under 10 mins? I know now I can do a 10 min run so just wondering what would be the best.
    Thanks.

Casey78 wrote: »
    Starting Week 4 tomorrow.
    Just a question though. I went for a run Saturday without the c25k app just to see how far I could run before I physically could not go any longer.I used Runkeeper app to measure my distance/time.

I ran/jogged for over 10 mins,I couldn't believe it!!(especially as when I started a few weeks ago I could barely run for 30secs) I ran almost 2km in that 10 mins.
    I was thinking should I skip ahead a week and start week 5 or should I do week 4 anyway even though all the runs are under 10 mins? I know now I can do a 10 min run so just wondering what would be the best.
    Thanks.
    Keep to the schedule, one of the main things with that is to acclimatise your joints to the running

Quick question for you all. Went out this morn started week 2 and my knees were sore. Kept going but one got worse and by the last jog I had to stop and walk the last half of it. was raging!!!! Did it all to that last jog! Could this be my knees just getting use to it or have any of you experienced this?? Last wk when I started it I know I could feel it in my hips / upper thighs but that went after few days, so could this be the same with my knees?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭LumpyOtoole

Quick question for you all. Went out this morn started week 2 and my knees were sore. Kept going but one got worse and by the last jog I had to stop and walk the last half of it. was raging!!!! Did it all to that last jog! Could this be my knees just getting use to it or have any of you experienced this?? Last wk when I started it I know I could feel it in my hips / upper thighs but that went after few days, so could this be the same with my knees?

I'm not an expert but I had very bad knees for the first three weeks. They would hurt towards the end of the run and then ache for the next day, I'm not sure what was causing it but it eased off by itself after a few weeks. I wasn't doing proper warmups beforehand, not sure if thats the reason. I hope it sorts itself out soon.

Thanks for that. It's good to know it prob is normal then! What kind of warm up did you find the best for you then? I put ice on them earlier but even going up and down the stairs at the min I can really feel it. Maybe it is just the joints getting use to it. Thanks for that

Finished it today!

Congratulations On completing.

There are apps like the c25k for 10k but apparently some people find it difficult to do the start stops again after completing the c25k, I went for the Hal Higdons 10k novice plan, I'm just there now and found it good .

• Advertisement

Have you tried using knee supports on your runs, the extra support might help. There's a lot of info if you google runners knee, it might help you get and idea of whats causing your sore knees and give you an indication of of the steps you need to take to avoid further sorness/injury.

Advertisement