Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why would an Irish person wear a poppy ?

Options
  • 28-10-2012 3:51pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭

After all it's for a foreign army, I don't see anyone wearing an emblem for the French, American, Spanish army. Ok some say it's for charity for injured British soldiers, but surely if they join up it's up to the British govt to properly look after them when they are injured and not pestering people expecting charity ?

Would you wear a poppy ? 378 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 378 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

Here we go again...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭thecommietommy

Here we go again...
    Very insightful input :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

How many Irish people even wear a poppy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

People may have relatives who died on duty for the British army.

I've had relatives in the British army, wouldn't even consider wearing a poppy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Britain took care of us for many years, they are like family to us. I will pay respects to any of them who died. God save the queen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

After all it's for a foreign army, I don't see anyone wearing an emblem for the French, American, Spanish army. Ok some say it's for charity for injured British soldiers, but surely if they join up it's up to the British govt to properly look after them whne they are injured and not pestering people expecting charity ?

Perhaps a relative of theirs fought and died while fighting for the British army or navy or Air Force? Who are you to judge someone else for their belief or how they want to honor their family members?

Personally no, I never would wear one! But I wouldn't judge anyone who did! I wish we could wear the Easter Lilly as a mark of respect for any Irish man who fought. But it's been tainted over the years!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭cb102

Sounds like someone's hopping the ball here :)

yeah I'd wear one, sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭burstbuckle

Here we go again...

Yeah must be nearly November,time to log off & ill see yiz in dec,
    O.P there's a hundred threads on this shoite

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭girl2

I see some people in the north wearing them. And they are usually of a particular religious affiliation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Because an estimated 30,000 people died in WW1 from Ireland. Simple as. It's a symbol remembering those who died, and nothing more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ITS_A_BADGER

what harm are they doing by wearing em anyway? so what like?

Yeah must be nearly November,time to log off & ill see yiz in dec,
    O.P there's a hundred threads on this shoite
    Well their plastered all over Sky News so the thought occured to me. Off and write your letter to Santa then so.

girl2 wrote: »
    I see some people in the north wearing them. And they are usually of a particular religious affiliation.
    I'm afraid you have a good point there.

http://s11.postimage.org/879yl54ar/Roden_Street_South_Belfast.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Rigol

Why would an Irish person wear a poppy?

Most likely out of not wanting to isolate themselves in work/work politics if they worked in G.Britain.

Not only for the possible consequences that may bite them in the 4rse but also to avoid the general BS and nagging.

Btw I find it ridiculous that its expected of EVERYONE. Its like saying 'why didn't you go to Mecca this year...you should be fking ashamed of yourself'.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭burstbuckle

Well their plastered all over Sky News so the thought occured to me. Off and write your letter to Santa then so.

Yeah & their plastered all over this site too,
    Now no need to get cranky,c'mon the little poppy wearing soldier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

A lot of people wear the poppy as a sign of remembrance and respect for those that have fought and died in the first and second world wars. Many Irish men enlisted in the English army to fight those wars and they lost their lives doing so. Today the poppy is better known as the symbol for the charity. I would have no hesitation in wearing it. Anyone who begrudges it really must have an empty and bitter life.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Its only a problem if you make it out to be one

19164363.jpg

That's the war memorial at Islandbridge in Dublin for those that don't know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Not this again :)

Simply put, many people wear the poppy to commemorate the dead at war. I've worn it in the past in Ireland. I remember others doing so when I grew up. The bizarre thing is that some people seem adamant use an event which is designed to commemorate the war dead into a sectarian argument / push for republicanism in 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Bassfish

I have mixed feelings on it, my dad is English and served in the Royal Air Force his father was Irish and fought in ww2 and his father was Irish and fought in ww1. I was in Liverpool last November and my dad asked me to buy a poppy for him, no hassle I said. I saw a stall selling them, was walking over and saw that the fella manning it had a maroon beret on i.e. he was a paratrooper. Nope, couldn't do it, couldn't hand money over to a para. So I didn't.
    Don't think I'd ever wear a poppy but no problem with anyone who does.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,272 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Would never wear one, it's a British tradition, not an Irish one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

I'm sure many folks wear one for jingoistic/inflammatory reasons, but many more are simply commemorating the countless young men who lost their lives.

A lot of people wear the poppy as a sign of remembrance and respect for those that have fought and died in the first and second world wars. Many Irish men enlisted in the English army to fight those wars and they lost their lives doing so. Today the poppy is better known as the symbol for the charity. I would have no hesitation in wearing it. Anyone who begrudges it really must have an empty and bitter life.
    I don't think the victims of the British army would be so charitable to them. Besides, why don't they get the British govt to look after them instead of begging on the streets pestering people ?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Kia_Kaha

I'm English and my maternal grandfather was Anglo-Indian. He fought for the British army in WWII before settling in England. I have never worn a poppy, either in the UK or here in Ireland. I don't see how attaching a plastic flower to my jacket is honouring anybody. I have come to the conclusion that it is simply a symbol of imperialism. I do however make a special effort to go to a church on November the 1st and say a prayer for the dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

who cares what anybody on here, does or doesn't do.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I don't think the victims of the British army would be so charitable to them. Besides, why don't they get the British govt to look after them instead of begging on the streets pestering people ?
    Clearly you have some sort of axe to grind with the British, how sad and clichéd that people like you still exist. Enjoy your vitriol I'm not interested in playing your game, am out of this thread now.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭cb102

But if the UFF like eating pasta or Bob Dyaln, it doesn't mean I'm not gonna like the two form now on. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

Jesus not this shíte again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Clearly you have some sort of axe to grind with the British, how sad and clichéd that people like you still exist. Enjoy your vitriol I'm not interested in playing your game, am out of this thread now.:rolleyes:
    And look at his sig. Might be a wind-up though...

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Rigol

Throws out Bob Dylan collection.
    Is spaghetti a form of pasta?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

I voted yes but I wear the white poppy - I don't need a red one to remember those who died in ALL the worlds conflicts past and present(no matter their race, religion or country).

Advertisement