Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer questions you'd be embarrassed to ask any where else!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

paddyandy wrote: »
    It's not auto updating at start up having been re-installed .I'll leave it and see if it will though;sometimes things sort themselves out somehow .
    Do you use sleep or hibernate alot? That can mess with automatic updates, see it in other programs.

Delete it again, run CCleaner, restart and reinstall.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Do you use sleep or hibernate alot? That can mess with automatic updates, see it in other programs.

Delete it again, run CCleaner, restart and reinstall.

I use sleep every day thanks,,,new one here .Every Sunday i back everything new on to an external hard drive and rarely any problem but today it was taking much longer than usual .Never much to back on to hd but today nearly 8 gigs .Usually 300mb -+.5 year old laptop .
    Is there a tool to id dublicating that i can run or is this a long haul ? Thanks again .

Every Sunday i back everything new on to an external hard drive and rarely any problem but today it was taking much longer than usual .Never much to back on to hd but today nearly 8 gigs .Usually 300mb -+.5 year old laptop .
    Is there a tool to id dublicating that i can run or is this a long haul ? Thanks again .
    OOh, not something I ever do.

What do you back up and what do you use to do it? Their are tools for finding duplicate pics alright but I don't know I'd trust them on important stuff.

7GB isin't much to go through....unless it's alot of really small stuff.

It seems to be a lot of small stuff and i was thinking there is a tool maybe .8gigs is a lot when there is not a lot of room left .Surely the programs are not being copied .Sorry i feel i'm taking too much of your time i'll have a chat in the pc shop .Thanks very much again .

It seems to be a lot of small stuff and i was thinking there is a tool maybe .8gigs is a lot when there is not a lot of room left .Surely the programs are not being copied .Sorry i feel i'm taking too much of your time i'll have a chat in the pc shop .Thanks very much again .
    Oh, you're not wasting my time, impossible to know what it did without looking at/going through it is the only thing, especially since you use it the whole time and it messed up outta the blue.

Easeus and Acronis are the two better tools for backup, both use to be free but not anymore.

Freefilesync looks nice and handy as an alternative. Few others in that link aswell.

Edit: Start a thread in com & tech and someone may be able to advise you better, some regular scholars knocking round there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

http://www.iobit.com/tbdownload-promo.html
    This is one of the best things i ever downloaded on my computer. I've had 2 laptops and 3 desktops and have or had it on all of them. Once downloaded it has many easy to use sections. Including an empty folder scan which lets you delete empty folders. It has a duplicate scanner to show you duplicates and you can delete them if you please.
    Absolutely brilliant easy to use programme. So easy that i put it on my mothers laptop and she can use it and she is useless with computers.

This is a reply to paddyandy's post's #273 and #275.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,400 ✭✭✭RedXIV

ken wrote: »
    http://www.iobit.com/tbdownload-promo.html
    This is one of the best things i ever downloaded on my computer. I've had 2 laptops and 3 desktops and have or had it on all of them. Once downloaded it has many easy to use sections. Including an empty folder scan which lets you delete empty folders. It has a duplicate scanner to show you duplicates and you can delete them if you please.
    Absolutely brilliant easy to use programme. So easy that i put it on my mothers laptop and she can use it and she is useless with computers.

This is a reply to paddyandy's post's #273 and #275.

Free or paid version?

ken wrote: »
    It has a duplicate scanner to show you duplicates and you can delete them if you please.
    Have you tried this?

Was looking and their's lots of duplicate finders around but I couldn't recommend or trust any till I through it at a folder myself with a thousand or so files/different filetypes to make sure it doesn't feck it up.

Auslogics-Duplicate-File-Finder
    Duplicate Cleaner
    Alldup

FreeFileSync (from above) looks to do it aswell though through a comparison with two folders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Free version and yes i have used it myself. The only downside is you have to delete the files one by one.

I've not examined the details of the 8 gigs it's contents yet .thanks everybody .
    Happened outa the blue right enough and i rarely have problems .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭poppyvally

Thank you Looksee , I can now successfully Scan, straighten, & crop & then put it in to my photo skip..and even put it up on facebook. You have to have a persistance for this type of thing.

poppyvally wrote: »
    Thank you Looksee , I can now successfully Scan, straighten, & crop & then put it in to my photo skip..and even put it up on facebook. You have to have a persistance for this type of thing.
    More advanced so for ya :p

Ah no, few good tips there.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,939 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You're welcome Poppy, tho I don't know that I did much!

Mod: Just looking through this thread and it is sneaking off in slightly obscure directions at times. Could you have your rather more tecky discussions on one of the computer forums and leave this one for the newbies who are just dipping in their toes? At the same time, thanks for your helpful replies. Cheers.

Great thread !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

The old problem has raised it's ugly head again. Computer is running slow. I can't actually see why though. My desktop icons are sometimes vanishing slowly before blinking back onto the screen. Must be a hidden programme running somewhere I suppose but I can't find it.

Rubecula wrote: »
    The old problem has raised it's ugly head again. Computer is running slow. I can't actually see why though. My desktop icons are sometimes vanishing slowly before blinking back onto the screen. Must be a hidden programme running somewhere I suppose but I can't find it.
    How old is your computer? Windows XP, yea?

How long since you reinstalled your windows? Do you have the disc to reinstall it if you wanted?

How much ram have ya, run this scanner and it'll tell you how much and the type it is and how much you can have in total, if you only have like 1GB getting more would speed things up big time.

How many icons have you on your Desktop? The whole screen isin't full of them by any chance?

Run Malwarebytes and CCleaner first anyway and see if that helps it.

I am interested in your comment about icons on the desktop - I have loads but they are all just links, I was under the impression that these were ok? I also have some odd documents, not that many, but still there are a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

When i try to email some departments it offers up outlook with their email which when i try to send goes in to my old dial up connection,how do i set this up so I can use this service and when i have taken their email of this and sent it through my gmail would they have recieved the email?I am xp.

looksee wrote: »
    I am interested in your comment about icons on the desktop - I have loads but they are all just links, I was under the impression that these were ok? I also have some odd documents, not that many, but still there are a few.
    Ah yea, it's fine, on older tech though (if it's not a virus doing it) you can have stuff disappearing on the desktop because the computer is running low on icon cache memory-->needs more RAM.

Creating a folder and putting everything on the desktop into it is a handy fix, nice to have a fairly clean desktop. Stick a nice pic on it.:)

I looked at some of those 'documents' I mentioned and there were actually several folders full of photographs :o So I moved them, and thinned out a lot of the other stuff...and, well, there was a lot more rubbish than I realised. It has speeded things up a bit I think!

• Advertisement

looksee wrote: »
    I looked at some of those 'documents' I mentioned and there were actually several folders full of photographs :o So I moved them, and thinned out a lot of the other stuff...and, well, there was a lot more rubbish than I realised. It has speeded things up a bit I think!
    Cleaner Desktop will make computer turn on abit quicker alright.

I'm so proud of myself! I got rid of "Godvine" on my f/b page. My mentor gave up in despair but I kept at it and at it. God only knows what went "viral" in my efforts to get rid of the er....unwanted thing. It's gone. I just didint want to seem like a christian enthusiast( for want of a better word)

Why do some of my photos disappear of my facebook album. I'ts so annoying. Am I doing something wrong? Does it happen to anyone else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

“Changes have been made that affect the global template, Normal.dot. Do you want to save those changes? Yes/No/Cancel”

This message crops up sometimes and I don't know why. As far as I'm concerned I haven't made any changes at all. I usually click 'no' but haven't a clue what this means.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

The Normal.dot file is a Word file, a template for your Microsoft Word default page layout. Say you always want to use a given header or a different font you would save that change to the Normal.dot file and that would then become your default.

Edit: Link on how to remove the normal.dot. When you remove/rename the file Word should create a new blank template.
    http://resources.marshalladulteducation.org/techtips/techtip72.htm

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

I havent been on boards for a couple of months - but I remember user would have a profile image- is this gone? I can only see user names and location and other info- no image:(

poppyvally wrote: »
    Why do some of my photos disappear of my facebook album. I'ts so annoying. Am I doing something wrong? Does it happen to anyone else?
    Extremely seldom that I use it...ask here.
    Red Hare wrote: »
    I havent been on boards for a couple of months - but I remember user would have a profile image- is this gone? I can only see user names and location and other info- no image:(
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/profile.php?do=editoptions

Scroll down till you see

^^^Tick those boxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

OldGoat wrote: »
    The Normal.dot file is a Word file, a template for your Microsoft Word default page layout. Say you always want to use a given header or a different font you would save that change to the Normal.dot file and that would then become your default.

Edit: Link on how to remove the normal.dot. When you remove/rename the file Word should create a new blank template.
    http://resources.marshalladulteducation.org/techtips/techtip72.htm

Ah, I thought I might have done something catastrophic but thank you so much for that. I understand it now. I wish everyone would explain things as clearly as that. I am not really doopid! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Ramette

People that i have sent emails to are getting emails supposedly from my email but i am not sending them... i deleted my address book and i did a scan with MacFee and nothing showed up but these fake emails are still sending. Am terrified someone will end up with a virus from these fake mails (they link to website pages) I dont want to close my email account - is there anything i can do to stop them? thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Ramette wrote: »
    People that i have sent emails to are getting emails supposedly from my email but i am not sending them... i deleted my address book and i did a scan with MacFee and nothing showed up but these fake emails are still sending. Am terrified someone will end up with a virus from these fake mails (they link to website pages) I dont want to close my email account - is there anything i can do to stop them? thanks

it'd be somebody has gotten your password for your email account rather than something on your computer.

for starters:

change the password on that email account now

change any passwords for other sites that are the same as your email password now

if your email is gmail you may be able to see where/what IP address has being accessing the account - i think so anyway, then you can figure out if somebody has gotten access to your email. Hotmail don't offer this though

Advertisement