Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dark Souls

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

There's still kalameet and did you get the pendant thingy, its handy for his fight and the dark magic.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,922 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

soul of manus , get the catalyst or the pursuer spell ?

Pursuers, takes up 2 slots but very good tracking and ridiculously strong, because its so slow you can be casting dark bead to break the block while pursuers is still tracking, manus catalyst very srong but halfs magic castings(and halfs in the mean way too, crystal magic weapon goes from 3 to 1, pursuers from 3 to 1 etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Damn, didn't realise the catalyst halves your castings :mad: Had my eye on that following my last visit to the Giant Blacksmith. Pursuers sounds excellent though. Will have to make do with Logan's catalyst.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,922 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

i have logans catalyst anyway, so i will go with the spell i think. had it used against me a few times , seems powerful !!

• Advertisement

I think it's due a nerf, there's alot of bitching on gamefaqs about it and dark bead, the very slow casting time is about the only chance you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Pursuers and Dark Bead is the go to combo for INT builds alright and it is absolutely nasty. It will one shot pretty much anyone with less than 50 VIT even with a high stability shield that has high magic block. It's also very very hard to avoid due to the way both spells combo, making it almost a sure win if you can get the combo off. Also Bead casts insanely fast from what I can tell.

I've had to incorporate GMB into my build just for this combo but thankfully that does work and reduces the damage by about 90%, although good players will just run until GMB wears off. :o

I think it's due a nerf, there's alot of bitching on gamefaqs about it and dark bead, the very slow casting time is about the only chance you get.
    I found Dark Bead a bit weak tbh.

Gamefaqs is full of whiny brats. The users are a bit better here: http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Forums I've been avoiding the wiki though as I didn't want any spoilers. I'm getting very curious though!

penev10 wrote: »
    I found Dark Bead a bit weak tbh.

Gamefaqs is full of whiny brats. The users are a bit better here: http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Forums I've been avoiding the wiki though as I didn't want any spoilers. I'm getting very curious though!

It's strength comes from getting up close while pursuers are chasing and chain casting as pursuers lands from close range so all the beads hit.

If done properly it's very very hard to counter, it's absolutely destroyed me numerous times and I normally find INT builds a joke!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,293 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Is this a game that would suit someone who is not particularly eager to spend much time grinding, messing about with inventory, or that kind of stuff? I'm interested, but am worried I'm not enough of a 'hardcore gamer' to enjoy it... I don't mind dying a handful of times to get past a tough spot in a game, but some of the reviews I've seen of this game make playing it sound like a painful slog.

Is there much to do other than fighting (and dying! :)) most of the time?

• Advertisement

ionapaul wrote: »
    Is this a game that would suit someone who is not particularly eager to spend much time grinding, messing about with inventory, or that kind of stuff? I'm interested, but am worried I'm not enough of a 'hardcore gamer' to enjoy it... I don't mind dying a handful of times to get past a tough spot in a game, but some of the reviews I've seen of this game make playing it sound like a painful slog.

Is there much to do other than fighting (and dying! :)) most of the time?
    Compared to some RPGs there is very little grinding really. Tweaking inventory etc. is necessary but there's no need to be obsessively messing about every 5 mins. Hard to gauge though as it depends what you're used to.

I think you can pick the game up s/h for €15 so it's definitely worth the gamble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭TheGunns

Is there anyway this game can be played co-op? On the 360 if that makes any difference

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

well i got to that asshole outside of blacksmith... i have no ranged weapons on me too. awesome! :D

will have to go all the way back and buy some bow or xbow...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

It's mean but funny, the 4 kings bit is one of the funniest things i've seen in a while.

LOLOL what a jerk :pac:

Didn't know vow of silence affected hosts, cool. wonder if tranquil walk of peace would too?

Also got horribly unlucky and received NO titanite Slabs from the crystal lizards in the hollow. Now to have fully upgraded amour I need another playthrough at level 50.... damn it. Wouldn't mind but the last build I made I gave away the Slabs (received 3 from the lizards O_o) to summoners as i used twinkling amour... sickened.
    Pretty sure there is 3 guaranteed in the game once I finish Siegmeyers quest right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

well i got to that asshole outside of blacksmith... i have no ranged weapons on me too. awesome!

will have to go all the way back and buy some bow or xbow...

If your a tank build (I'm doing a low level one again now) the way I beat the titanite demon(s) is:

Get right up next to them on the right hand side (demons left), I don't mean close I mean your practically on top of him tucked into his left armpit and his tail looking at his back. Make sure you leave your stamina regenerate when its not safe to attack and BLOCK when he is atttacking. 80% of his attacks will miss you if you keep this position, if I can remember correctly he will attempt these:
    Slow windup Throw: he will raise his arms up slowly then plunge down, just move slightly more towards his back press Y/triangle and start wailing on him two handing the weapon. Make sure you leave a long enough gap to let your stamina refill :)

Double swing/Triple swing: I cant tell the difference in the startups but BLOCK these, lower your shield in between blocking or roll through the second if your not fat rolling. The third swing is a straight ahead thrust and leaves a big gap to wail on him.

Jump away/Jump attack: If he leaves the ground at all, get the f*ck outta there, if he lands on you your in big trouble. If you see him leave the ground its retreat basically, make sure your facing him and holding your shield up when he lands though.
    He can be staggered easily but you will have to figure out how many hits it takes to do it. If you can stagger him it makes it a billion times easier as you can use that time to get stamina back. Use the stamina ring/shield/grass and eventually they become a breeze.

EDIT: Jesus the four kings are hard as a low level tank... i mean, one hit and your half dead, a counter hit and its goodnight. Iron flesh seems to be very weak since i last used it and noone around to summon as most leave them till 60ish. Last 100K souls and 15 humanity when I got invaded on the way back... infuriating. Stripped down to a fast roll and found it waaaaay easier :( Strength/Tank build seems to be a pretty bad choice under level 50, especially in PVP, wrath of Gods and elemental weapons are just too strong at this level.

Danonino. wrote: »
    Also got horribly unlucky and received NO titanite Slabs from the crystal lizards in the hollow. Now to have fully upgraded amour I need another playthrough at level 50.... damn it. Wouldn't mind but the last build I made I gave away the Slabs (received 3 from the lizards O_o) to summoners as i used twinkling amour... sickened.
    Pretty sure there is 3 guaranteed in the game once I finish Siegmeyers quest right?

Siegmeyers is hard to do for titanite. Wraiths in new Londo drop slabs, got 3 while farming chunks, they're piss easy to parry.

For that dude by the blacksmith run past him, kill a tree, take a right and there's a bow down there somewhere.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Anyone have any tips for handling Manus. I'm struggling to last more than a few seconds.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Stay away and draw in his arm attack and slash, repeat, learn to use the pendant for his dark magic.

Stay away and draw in his arm attack and slash, repeat, learn to use the pendant for his dark magic.

Just to give an alternative approach. I stay as close to him as possible, which severly limits and often completely stops him using Dark Magic. I've never needed the pendant on any of my kills due to this. Also if he uses magic, if you stay right underneath him they generally always miss.

However you will need to be comfortable dodging and blocking doing this and a high stability shield and fast roll are needed. The only real issue is if he catches you with his flurry as it will break your guard and kill you if you tank every hit, so learn to get out when you see him wind it up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I was in an NG+ before I installed the DLC. I'm alternating between Kalameet and Manus with little hope of defeating either. I'll give it a few more tries.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

Somehow managed to beat Kalameet. I've no idea how you'd get his tail off though.

H. H. Asquith

So I got that bastard by the smith. Few tries and then it was Easyer then taking a candy from a baby.
    Then I cleared the church got humanity up and killed gargoyles.
    With saved up souls and little bit farming I spent 20k souls on a key. Will do some farming next time I play! That place is just unfair :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Somehow managed to beat Kalameet. I've no idea how you'd get his tail off though.

It can be tough. Best way is to do it is when he does the flying nose attack. You dodge to the side then move up behind him. When behind him he does two attacks, one is a spin that turns him 180 degrees to face you, the other is like a tail slam. After the slam you go to work on his tail. Takes a fair few hits to get it off.

P.s I never get dropped any good items from bosses :(. How do you get them t drop something good? So far not a single boss dropped me something useful.

A boss usually only drops it's soul. You can use that to make weapons or get more items.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

P.s I never get dropped any good items from bosses :(. How do you get them t drop something good? So far not a single boss dropped me something useful.

Bosses don't really drop high value items in this game compared to other RPG games. Although most of the bosses drop unique named souls that can be crafted into unique weapons. When you ascend a weapon to +10 you can use a certain soul to create a unique weapon. For example Quelagg's soul can be combined with either Long Swords or Katana type swords to create two different weapons. Same goes for shields.

Hmm on ps3 gargoyles dropped me some cool helmet. They do drop some named items now and then.

Btw is it worth killing the vendor for his katana? I am still using the same sword I got in asylum. Still haven't found anything that I want use over it.

Hmm on ps3 gargoyles dropped me some cool helmet. They do drop some named items now and then.

Btw is it worth killing the vendor for his katana? I am still using the same sword I got in asylum. Still haven't found anything that I want use over it.

The gargoyles, while an early boss, show up later in game as normal enemies and they all have a chance at dropping that helm. The unique bosses won't drop anything bar their souls, although anything with a tail can generally be cut off to find a unique weapon! (The majority of which aren't great).

The uchi is a really solid DEX weapon. If you are planning on going a DEX build it can do you throughout the game if upgraded, however that merchant is very handy for buying arrows and such so make sure you stock up if you plan on killing him.

Also you can get the uchi later on in the game elsewhere if you choose to leave him alive and also you can find an Iato in Blighttown which is arguably a better Katana anyway.

With saved up souls and little bit farming I spent 20k souls on a key. Will do some farming next time I play! That place is just unfair :)

There is a very easy way to farm those guys, not saying anything, give YouTube a look.

Btw I absolutely love my balder side sword+15 with dark moon blade. Cast dmb, then vow of silence and forget about pursuers. Finally found a good dark moon place on PC, dukes archives is hopping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

I finally beat Ornstein and Smough on NG+ after getting beaten umpteen times. Then I decide to go to the Giant Blacksmith to get a few nice upgrades using my boss souls. A lightning demon follows me into the area where the Giant Blacksmith is and I accidentaly hit the Blacksmith. Now the Blacksmith keeps attacking me and I can never get my boss weapon upgrades as a result. As a consequence of this totally frustrating development I'm done with this game for good. **** this unfair ****!

Advertisement