Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Photos That Shook The World (Contains graphic images, may cause distress)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Spore wrote: »
    Fucking whore

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,057 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

This picture is not any worse than the Palestinian Man and boy being killed a few pages back. This picture really makes me sick to the core.

This to me symbolises how war has changed in the last 20 years. Not saying by an means war is good - could you imagine Germany, Britain or the US doing this in the Great War or the Second World War.
    Or maybe the change is modern media; digital photography can bring it straight to a screen in front of us almost instantuously.

3EAE56303E614648B3AFD3A4B27C3C99.jpg

The picture was taken in Mogadishu in Somalia.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

You never hear that part of "black hawk down".

Thank you everyone for these images, they speak louder than words.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Loveless

Don't think this one has been posted up yet either...

the-baby-hand.jpg

"Take a good look at this picture. It's one of the most remarkable photographs ever taken. The tiny hand of a foetus reaches out from a mother's womb to clasp a surgeon's healing finger. It is, by the way, 21 weeks old, an age at which it could still be legally aborted. The tiny hand in the picture above belongs to a baby which is due to be born on December 28."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

I've seen images about that before, he was either a crew chief/pilot of a UH-60 Black Hawk helicopter that was shot down.

He was part of a mission that was trying to capture Mohammad Farrah Adid's top commanders. Adid (sp?) was involved in a civil war that turned to genocide.

Features in the film Black Hawk Down as the previous poster said.

That leg is at such a grotesque angle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Smau5

It clearly has bullet holes in every picture?

Not in the first, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,694 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Smau5 wrote: »
    Not in the first, lol.
    You cant see them in the first cos the bullet holes are just out of the picture, in the next set of bricks if you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    This picture is not any worse than the Palestinian Man and boy being killed a few pages back. This picture really makes me sick to the core.

This to me symbolises how war has changed in the last 20 years. Not saying by an means war is good - could you imagine Germany, Britain or the US doing this in the Great War or the Second World War.
    Or maybe the change is modern media; digital photography can bring it straight to a screen in front of us almost instantuously.

Is he still alive there?

Malty_T wrote: »
    Is he still alive there?

nope. I thought it was mike Durant, but he was realesed. That is one of the 2 soldiers who went in to save him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Massive lack of context there, along with the obviously slanted caption, nice of someone to point out they're black.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

philippepetittwintowers.jpg

August 7th 1974 - Phillipe Petit's tightrope walk between the twin towers.

iraq_war_dead_1.jpg

The toll of the Iraq war.

holocaust-mass-grave.jpg

Holocost mass graves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Feeky Magee

Aldebaran wrote: »
    philippepetittwintowers.jpg

August 7th 1974 - Phillipe Petit's tightrope walk between the twin towers.

Did you see the film? Remarkable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

Did you see the film? Remarkable.

Yes I did, fantastic movie. I thinks its amazing that theres no video footage of his walk at all, makes the photos even more special.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Darksaga87 wrote: »
    nope. I thought it was mike Durant, but he was realesed. That is one of the 2 soldiers who went in to save him.

At first I thought it was Duran't crew chief, Bill Cleveland or Tommy Fields but it could have been one of the two snipers, Gary Gordon or Randy Shugart who tried to defend him and ultimately did, Durant was spared.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

hmm can't seem to paste the picture

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

This is one of the most interesting and thought provoking threads I've seen in a long time. Keep those pictures coming.

lizt wrote: »

Go to Google Images, and type in 'first flight'. Click on the picture yoiu want and then click on 'see full size image'. Copy the address bar. When you go to write your comment on boards, click the yellow icon with the mountains, and paste the address bar in, and hey presto! :)

picFFWrightFirstFlight.jpg

amacachi wrote: »
    Massive lack of context there, along with the obviously slanted caption, nice of someone to point out they're black.

I noticed that myself on the use of black. And I wasn't giving a full history of the Somailia/US issue. Similiar things have have happened elsewhere in Africa and in the Middle East with US soldiers & others.

I was actually looking for a different photo, but obviously couldn't find it. The one where the US soldier is being pulled behind the jeep. I think in the one I was looking for he was alive, but dragged to his death - not sure though.

Have absolutely no idea if the soldier above is dead or not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 932 ✭✭✭paddyland

One small step for man...

a11tvarm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

therese-frare-david-kirby1.jpg
    LittleRock.jpg

I've never seen that shot before paddy, thanks for posting.

Munich Air Disaster:

munichaircrash.jpg

And 50 years on...

_44417055_fans2_pa416.jpg

Atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki

Hiroshima after the dropping of 'Little Boy'
    509px-Atomic_cloud_over_Hiroshima.jpg

'The Fat Man' mushroom cloud resulting from the nuclear explosion over Nagasaki rises 18 km (11 mi, 60,000 ft) into the air from the hypocenter
    502px-Nagasakibomb.jpg

Seizo Yamada's ground level photo taken from approximately 7 km northeast of Hiroshima
    Hirgrnd1.jpg

Not 100% sure when these pics were widely known, may have been years after WW2?

Anyway, the following pics really bring home the power of these 'little' bombs. When I say 'little' I mean 'Little Boy' was 13 - 18 kilotons of TNT.....'Castle Bravo', the US's most powerful thermonuclear hydrogen bomb, was 15,000/22,000 kilotons of TNT.

The photograph shows the stone steps of the main entrance of Sumitomo Bank in Hiroshima which was only 250 meters from the hypocenter of the atomic explosure on 08/06/1945. It is believed that a person sat down on the steps facing the direction of the hypocenter, possibly waiting for the bank to open. By a flash of the heat rays with temperatures well over a 1,000 degrees or possibly 2,000 degrees centigrade, that person was incineratied on the stone steps. Up to about 10 years after the explosion, the shadow remained clearly on the stones, but exposure to rain and wind has been gradually blurring it. So, when the bank was newly built, the stone steps were removed and are now preserved at the Hiroshima Peace Memorial Museum. You can also see the beautiful computer reconstruction of this atomic explosure made by BBCshadow.jpg

docu13s.jpg

charonboat_dot_com_hiroshima_shadow_2.jpg

Simulation:
    charonboat_dot_com_hiroshima_shadow_4.jpg
    charonboat_dot_com_hiroshima_shadow_5.jpg
    charonboat_dot_com_hiroshima_shadow_6.jpg
    charonboat_dot_com_hiroshima_shadow_7.jpg
    charonboat_dot_com_hiroshima_shadow_8.jpg

hiroshima_shadow.jpg

12-2.jpg

14.jpg

BoyWithBurnedBack.jpg

Truely too terrifying to even think about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

lizt wrote: »

Highlight the url of the image you want to post and then press the 'Ctrl' key and the letter 'C' key at the same time. (Right clicking on the highlighted URL and selecting copy will do the same thing).

Your image will be copied in your system's memory.

Then when you have the 'Post New Message' options like below, click the icon with the circle around it .. a new box should open like below for you to paste the URL of the image into.

29295322541760603174.jpg

Click inside the bar like above where it has the .. 'Please enter the URL of your image' .. and then hold down the 'CTRL' key and the letter 'V' (that pastes from your system's memory - Right clicking in the box & selecting Paste is will also do the same thing).

Click OK and the image should then appear in the message.

You can cleck the 'Preview Post' button beside the 'Submit Replay' one if you want to see how the image will appear.

If you have an image on your PC that you want to post instead. Go to HostAnyImage.com and from their hompage you can upload your image and it will give you a URL very quickly and then just follow the same steps as above.

OK my last one or two for the night. I am getting to the symbolic stage now - must be tiredness ;););)

9AAF4668F07E43ABACFB4A2EB5AD82D6-800.jpg

September 2001. Which one is giving the comfort more?

42E05528839841ADBAE958A623601FB8-800.jpg

Maybe not changed or shook the world, but definitely shows how much the world has been shook up and shaken in the last 40 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

ok one more then i'm going to bed

streaker.jpg?w=500&h=409

Mychal F. Judge, a Roman Catholic priest of the Franciscan Order of Friars Minor, Chaplain of the Fire Department of New York, and the first recorded victim of the September 11, 2001 attacks.

mychal.jpg

911priest.jpg

From Wikipedia
    Shannon Stapleton, photographer from Reuters, photographed Judge's body being carried out of the rubble by five men: four uniformed and one non-uniformed. It became one of the most famous images related to 9/11. The Philadelphia Weekly reports the photograph being called an American Pietà.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Oklahoma bombing. I will always remember seeing this picture on the front of The Star in my local shop the day after the bombing.

95275267qv4.jpg

• Advertisement

Is what I think is happening here, happening here??? Please say no someone

Don't worry Queen, it is merely a kind soul teaching his pet seal how to play baseball. I believe 3 months after the picture was taken they won the bronze medal at the Man/Pet Olympics.
    Smau5 wrote: »
    Bluemoon ;)

Could have done without the wink for such a sensitive subject. But I will say your fans behaved impeccably that day, fair dues.
    The_Edge wrote: »
    Atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki

Truely too terrifying to even think about

Indeed.

Tokyo B-29 Raid: March 10th 1945:

BE034976.jpg

Killed at least 100,000 outright, more than either atomic bombing of Hiroshima or Nagasaki.

Advertisement