Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Under 25's Car Rental in Chicago

• 06-03-2014 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I was looking for info on car rentals for under 25's. I had found a site about a month ago through Google that gave me a good selection of cars that were available to under 25's and what I found very handy was the fact that it listed the final rental price inc levies for under 25 and inc taxes- Not for the life of me can I find it now. We are thinking of doing a bit of travelling in August and was wondering can anyone recommend a rental co who are reasonable with 24 year olds renting a car for a bit of a road trip? As we are probably going to be doing alot of driving I'd rather something comfortable as opposed to rentawreck if possible? Any info or suggestions welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Dave1442397

Budget charge a $27 surcharge for ages 21-24 - CHICAGO $27 An individual 21-24 years of age may only rent an economy, compact, intermediate, standard, full-size or premium car or an intermediate or standard SUV.

Here's their site - http://www.budget.com/budgetWeb/html/en/common/agePopUp.html

Enterprise probably have something similar...certainly worth asking.

I use Enterprise now and again, and they've always been easy to deal with. Budget is fine too, and either of those companies will have new cars for hire.

One tip - before you drive the car away, make sure you point out any existing damage, such as scrapes, door dings etc. Have the manager write it up for you so you don't get hit with damage charges when you return the car. You should also take pics or video of the whole car before driving it, including the roof and as much of the underbody as you can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

After spending ages last night looking for the website with the final prices I found it first thing this morning. its www.economycarrentals.com Have you ever heard anything about them? They appear to rent almost anything to young drivers- read the feedback online which seems to be grand just wondering if you or anyone else have any feedback on them

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Dave1442397

I never heard of www.economycarrentals.com, but after taking a quick look at the site it seems to be a third party vendor. Personally, I wouldn't use them if I could just go directly to the rental car company instead. Renting thru that site is just another chance for something to go wrong. Budget is a good company, and they say they just add the $27 young driver surcharge when you get there.

When you rent the car, plan on dropping it back at the same location you rented from, eg the airport. If you want to drop it off at a different location they will charge for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭AlanDeGenerous

I used Budget 2 years ago (I was 21) and had absolutely no issues with them at all. Renting a car in the States is stressful enough without having to worry about unnecessary sh*t. Also, I wasn't charged for returning the car to a different location with them, we picked it up in San Diego and left it back in LA.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

The major nationwide rental companies are:

Budget
    Avis
    Hertz
    Dollar
    Thrifty
    National
    Enterprise

You should try them all. Remember Rules/laws can change from state to state so make sure you're getting accurate information for Illinois.

• Advertisement
Advertisement