Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Siptu to ballot for strike action at IE

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Only thing that suprises me there is how narrow the vote is. Expect the NBRU one to be rejected by a much larger majority.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

They already voted in favour of strike action after the last proposal was rejected so there will be no change this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,063 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Great, you shared a link to your own thread and you are still wrong. There wont be a strike.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    Great, you shared a link to your own thread and you are still wrong. There wont be a strike.

Not from SIPTU given the 2% margin but the NBRU could be a different story.

Strike or not either pay or jobs will go by end of the year unless something big happens.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭flutered

start at the very top, can we afford a transport minister and a commuter transport minister, lets vote on that one first.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭kildarecommuter

Think staffs biggest fear is they agree this Govt then cut subsidy again, company look for more cuts.
    To much fat at the top though in fairness its nothing more than a glorified LUAS these days

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

Siptu have rejected the amended LRC recommendations.
    SIPTU Organiser Paul Cullen said: "It is clear from this ballot result that our members have categorically rejected the acceptance of any further pay reductions."

He added that the vote means the union does not have a mandate from its members to engage in any further negotiations with Iarnród Éireann.

RTE Link

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭trellheim

How does 53/47 mean "categorically" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

nothing more than a glorified LUAS these days

I wish it was, with Leap capping lower than Dublin Bus and last trains at 12.30am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭nigelradion2

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Not from SIPTU given the 2% margin but the NBRU could be a different story.

Strike or not either pay or jobs will go by end of the year unless something big happens.

very true indeed. The last thing IE need right now is any form of strike action. This will only increase the company's financial loss and make pay cuts and compulsory redundancies a much more real possibility. Either way, something is going to give way

What's this then?

http://www.thejournal.ie/irish-rail-siptu-strike-august-1588953-Jul2014/

Wait until it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭may06

Wait until it happens.

And you can say that with certainty that it wont?

I can say with certainty that its best to wait until it happens before getting too excited about it.

Personally I'm not excited at all. It will be a huge disruption for a lot of people. But I am a little disconcerted by dismissive posts from months ago, that a strike won't happen eventhough one has been called now.

The question remains. Do you know something we dont know, or are we about to witness this dinosaur semi state capitulate once again to the union agenda?

Its the NBRU who will cause most problems if they strike.

If they strike IE will just probably leave pay at what it is and then just cut as many jobs to meet the savings.

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Personally I'm not excited at all. It will be a huge disruption for a lot of people. But I am a little disconcerted by dismissive posts from months ago, that a strike won't happen eventhough one has been called now.

The question remains. Do you know something we dont know, or are we about to witness this dinosaur semi state capitulate once again to the union agenda?

Have faith brother ;).

• Advertisement

Given how close SIPTU votes have being it could go either way. Its the NBRU which is more impotent as I believe they represent most drivers as they usually vote to strike for everything.

If they strike IE will just probably leave pay at what it is and then just cut as many jobs to meet the savings.

SIPTU represent the most amount of drivers.

Regardless of what union they are in , all you want is for the signal staff to go out and the network will come to a halt.

I cant see them cutting many jobs as they are under staffed as it is.

Regardless of what union they are in , all you want is for the signal staff to go out and the network will come to a halt.

If staff don't take the cuts then I can't see them giving in as it would give unions complete control over the company. They will probably target more station staff if jobs have to go. Only other option is taxpayer footing the bill.

Only other option is taxpayer footing the bill.

Looks the more likely.

If staff don't take the cuts then I can't see them giving in as it would give unions complete control over the company. They will probably target more station staff if jobs have to go. Only other option is taxpayer footing the bill.

Either way, the staff pays .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Its not really a union agenda. What you might see here on the surface is a union refusing to take a small pay cut. What your not seeing is the sheer breakdown in relations with management and the OTHER issues that are causing this. The real problems are the goverment repeatedly cutting the subsidy and demanding the same level of service after getting cuts in the past, that and the fact that to the employee the place looks like its being run into the ground by the fact that they've gutted depot jobs for example to the point that theyre asking even begging some people to come in on their days off to make up the shortfall, where theres so little staff that some places cant even be declared safe in the event of an emergency, where management refuse to fill the frontline jobs where customers are and have had these requests blocked but instead fill MORE managment jobs for themselves every other week. Thats what has so much oppositon to the cuts and lets not get started on the fact theyre looking for cuts to pay after not only all the other taxes that have been lumped on them but others coming soon as well and at the same time the economys turning around and costs are going UP!
    Its the NBRU who will cause most problems if they strike.
    If they strike IE will just probably leave pay at what it is and then just cut as many jobs to meet the savings

NBRU are the ones really to watch expecially if they vote for all out strike action (personally I dont see this being the best way rather simply refusing to cover rest days and such would be more than effective to drive home the point how the important sections have been badly run down to the public) however we should wait and see what happens first theres still enough time ahead where this could change.

NBRU I believe are gaining alot of new members in recent weeks as SIPTU are seen more and more these days as cosy to management even heard rumors from some in the driver grades that theyve very little membership left in the drivers areas and that theyre mosly NBRU now because SIPTU looked like theyre were gonna capitulate to management. Its only ever taken the drivers or signal staff to shut the place down as both key grades hold the balance of power.
    Management are the ones that may have to worry the most as the front like grades have been gutted so badly and left so undermanned in parts that if any serious cuts need to be enforced even if recievership happens it would be them that would be the first to go.

Unions arent looking for control of the company the issue here is how the way the place is being run and how they want pay cuts at a time when the place is dangerously undermanned in places and when cost of living is rising again. Unmanned stations are a joke expecially when wheelchairs are involved (that poor lad at howth jct a while back being an example of why stations should be manned even on a middle shift) not to mention places with tourists being left unmanned where money could be made. Hell you can ride for free a good deal of the time if you know where to go thanks to lack of staff. Even the ticket inspectors are struggling for staff at times for spot checks. They spent putting new validation machines in that now lie open half the time in a bunch of stations, they left killiney unmanned permenantly theres even fears by some someones gonna be hit by a train down that way at some point because theyre messing around expecially when good weather comes out and theres noone there.

In the end this pay cut MIGHT have happened if it had happened two years ago but with the way things are now it definately wont happen without a fight. Conditions have deteroirated to a point where the frontline staff simply arent gonna take any more BS from managment filling their own jobs week after week while drivers and depotment are left without staff constantly. Its expected this could get nasty as well whether there is an all out strike or not. Ironically everytime Fine Gael gets into power theres always trouble in the railway usually caused by them so that aint helping either.

I can say with certainty that its best to wait until it happens before getting too excited about it.

So it will happen then? Make up your mind.

may06 wrote: »
    So it will happen then? Make up your mind.

Show me a post where i said that it will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

I'd be a very pro striking person, but industrial action seems a bit far considering other public servants got it much worse. Imo the unions could negotiate a smaller blow, for X amount of years before Ireland runs a surplus. Not ideal for either side, but it needs to be done.

Show me a post where i said that it will happen.

your previous post .......

Originally Posted by Hilly Bill
    I can say with certainty that its best to wait until it happens

• Advertisement

may06 wrote: »
    your previous post .......

Originally Posted by Hilly Bill
    I can say with certainty that its best to wait until it happens

I cant see the word WILL in there.

Advertisement