Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Spinning for Brown Trout on Lough Corrib

Options
  • 08-09-2011 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

I was wondering about the brown trout season in lough corrib,
    Is it too late in the season to be fishing brown trout with spinners or bait rather than fly? I have no experience in fly fishing but would like to go to lough corrib sometime before the end of september.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭coolhandspan

too late now, season closed. in my honest opinion spinning for troutr on corrib should be either banned orcatch and release only. i have done it myself but stocks are crashing hard and wrfb are afraid to admit it..............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

They'll probably blame the pike and start gill netting again.....muck savages.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭twomeys

What have happened stocks coolhands? My brother in law loves fishing there but I havent had the chance yet. Is it gone that bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

Why not head off to some stockie place, pay a few €€€ and spin there and give those poor brownies a break..

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭fisherking

Spinning in somewhere like the corrib is shameful behaviour
    Learn to fly fish over the winter
    February is around the corner......
    Mau5 wrote: »
    I was wondering about the brown trout season in lough corrib,
    Is it too late in the season to be fishing brown trout with spinners or bait rather than fly? I have no experience in fly fishing but would like to go to lough corrib sometime before the end of september.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭mattcullen

why is spinning so harmfull? is it that more fish are caught (ie too effective) or because of the use of treble hooks causing harm to the fish? If so would use of a single hook not solve that?

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

Think about it, a whopping treble hook in a small fish! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Caribs

They'll probably blame the pike and start gill netting again.....muck savages.

..muck savages...seriously..??

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭seamusmcspud

lads ...lets be honest, even at its peak is spinning that effective on corrib???
    maybe for perch but nice trout?? if you know where to go please reply as i've had some terrible lean times up there and have tried all methods, fly(wet and dry) dapping, trolling all sorts of stuff and spinning but alas if the trout aren't on they simply are very difficult to catch. have found this year that they may only come on for half an hour a day and you'd just wanna be lucky... :eek:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

too late now, season closed. in my honest opinion spinning for troutr on corrib should be either banned orcatch and release only. i have done it myself but stocks are crashing hard and wrfb are afraid to admit it..............

Have you any evidence to support that claim?
    Thought not...
    Whereas the most recent survey report (2008) conducted by IFI under the Water Framework Directive ( http://www.wfdfish.ie/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/corrib_report_2008.pdf ) shows that "Brown trout CPUE was approximately twice as high in 2008 compared to 1996." This would appear to contradict your claim. But hey, what would the scientists know... :rolleyes:

The survey was repeated in 2011 but the CPUE stats are not available on the website yet. I met an angler I know last week who had his best year for about a decade on the lake and was very happy with fish stocks. Its not proof, but its about as scientific as your claim that "stocks are crashing".

And BTW, if stocks were crashing, IFI (not WRFB anymore) would be very concerned and would certainly not be hiding it, or "afraid to admit it".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Some weird comments here about spinning. But it's too late in the year, best thing it to do it next year, but get a boat if you can and spin from that. It's such a big lake that there's always going to be places to spin from the shore, but a boat would make it much easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭fisherking

The problem with trollers on corrib is that the vast majority if them kill and sell their catch
    In my opinion trolling should be called "boating" instead of fishing
    Spinning from the shore is fine i think..... not for me but each to their own....
    Paparazzo wrote: »
    Some weird comments here about spinning. But it's too late in the year, best thing it to do it next year, but get a boat if you can and spin from that. It's such a big lake that there's always going to be places to spin from the shore, but a boat would make it much easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭bayliner

fisherking wrote: »
    The problem with trollers on corrib is that the vast majority if them kill and sell their catch
    Spinning from the shore is fine i think..... not for me but each to their own....
    spinning is fine now? it was shameful a few posts ago!!
    where is your evidence that trollers SELL the fish they kill?? i dont fish corrib but would be shocked if this is true,
    i fly fish and troll lough ree and have done for over 30 yrs, 40 to 50% of anglers both trolling and flyfishing regularly use the catch and release method and no one that i know off sell fish!!

fisherking wrote: »

Rubbish. First of all spinning from a boat isn't trolling. Spinning from a boat is similar to fly fishing. Cast out your lure from a floating boat and retrieve it.
    The vast majority of trollers kill and sell their catch?? Are you having a laugh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

Zzippy wrote: »
    Have you any evidence to support that claim?
    Thought not...

Why ask a question, only to answer it yourself sarcastically?

Because when someone has such idiotic opinions they deserve to be mocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

Some people have opinions on Lough Corrib yet it sounds like they never fished the lake.
    Fly anglers do the most damage, I fish Corrib more than any other lake in Ireland and I wetfly/dryfly/dap/buzzer fish and I also troll and spin. I have been doing all methods on Corrib for well over ten yrs between 2-3 weeks a year.
    Old timers fishing the brickeen are very different to specialized troller's, see CorribPredators on face book
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Corrib-Predator-Team/146066345456850?sk=wall
    The old brickeen anglers used to sell their catch and it is a method that should probably be banned or at least stopped early in the year as its deadly early on.
    Serious trollers are targeting large trout 6lb+ , they catch very few and C&R is creeping into their mindset.
    As for a guy spinning ? be it rapala's, mepps, spoon or tassie's they are not successful methods when compared to fly fishing.
    A fly angler will out fish the guy spinning over the course of the year no problem.

Its fly anglers that need to limit their catch and its B&B owners that need to say to their guests to observe the daily limit and size limit, which I saw broken in May by european anglers, and the B&B owners are powerless to say anything because they cant risk losing the paying customer.
    Also having a catch and kill competition(limited to 4, but still) every weekend doesn't help the lake

Everyone has an opinion, so what if they are wrong. no need to try and label them the village idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭coolhandspan

European paper on it, if gill netting pike and artificial hatcheries were stopped , trout population would be wiped out in a few years.

WRITTEN QUESTION E-0474/01
    by Erik Meijer (GUE/NGL) to the Commission
    (21 February 2001)
    Subject: Freshwater fishing in Ireland: ongoing disturbance of the natural balance in the Western Lakes Region

1. Can the Commission confirm that, in the Western Lakes System in Ireland - which consists of Lough Corrib in County Galway and Lough Mask and Lough Carra in County Mayo and the associated rivers in the western region, together with Lough Arrow in County Sligo in north-west Ireland - the number of trout and salmon has declined sharply over the past 20 years or so?
    2. Can the Commission also confirm that that decline in numbers is a consequence of the canalisation of natural watercourses and of the reclamation and draining of areas in the direct vicinity of the lakes and the associated river systems, with the result that there is now less space for fish swimming up rapidly flowing streams?
    3. To what extent is the continuing decline in trout numbers also a consequence of pollution by phosphates of agricultural and domestic origin, of overgrazing by sheep on neighbouring hills, of acidification as a result of the planting of conifers on slopes which drain into the lakes region, of erosion and as a result of encroachment on spawning grounds in rivers and of the fact that many game anglers, contrary to international custom, do not throw back the fish they catch but kill and eat them?
    4. In the period since European subsidies began to be granted in 1996, what has been done to improve water quality and restore spawning grounds with a view to protecting trout stocks in the lakes referred to in point 1?
    5. Is the Commission aware that European subsidies have been used for the deployment of gillnets, the main objective of which is to catch pike between February and the end of April in the shallow spawning grounds where they gather to breed?
    6. Can the Commission confirm that trout, perch, whitefish, otters, diving waterfowl and other animals living in, on and near to the lakes also get caught up in these gillnets and that some of them die a painful death after vainly struggling for hours to free themselves?
    7. Is such use of gillnets, which upset the balance of nature, compatible with the status of specially protected area under the Wild Birds Directive?

Answer given by Mr Barnier on behalf of the Commission
    (7 June 2001)

1. According to the information received from the WRFB, the stock surveys of Loughs Corrib, Mask and Carra in 1996 indicated to different degrees that the wild brown trout stock was not optimal and that pike (an introduced species) stocks particularly in Lough Corrib were very significant. The scientific advice was that several measures were needed to ensure that stocks improve. These were as follows: to repair feeder and nursery streams and their habitat; to control and eliminate pollution sources; to reduce the stock of predatory non-indigenous species. Salmon stocks are subjected to different pressures in the marine environment.
    As indicated by the NWRFB, insofar as Lough Arrow is concerned, a fish stock survey carried out in 1994 revealed a 50 % reduction in stocks of wild trout compared with similar surveys in 1979-1980.
    2. As per the WRFB, the canalisation of rivers and streams reduced fish numbers in feeder streams. This aspect of engineering works was a target of the development programme and considerable work has ensured that previously drained channels are now producing considerable numbers of trout and salmon fry and parr. There is ample space for trout and fast flowing water is necessary for salmon parr production.
    According to the NWRFB, in the case of Lough Arrow, the decline was not attributed to canalisation of natural watercourses and the reclamation and draining of areas in the direct vicinity of the lakes and associated rivers systems. The decline was attributed to increased pike stocks and poor quality habitat in many of the inflowing streams. The development project set out to address the habitat problem. The increasing of pike control activities was not funded under Community programme.
    3. The WRFB maintains that the decline in trout numbers has been reversed by the development works undertaken under the programme. Overgrazing and afforestation can put additional pressures on a salmonid catchment, the overall plan addresses these aspects as well as the issue of the predatory fish species in the lakes. The fact that anglers, many of them local people, have always fished for trout on these lakes is part of the cultural heritage of the West of Ireland. These people have always caught and eaten the fish as part of their diet. In addition the Fisheries Board in question is actively promoting catch and release of trout by anglers.
    According to the NWRFB, with the exception of overgrazing by sheep, all of the factors outlined may have contributed to the reduced trout stocks on Lough Arrow.
    Agri-environment measures in the rural development plans aim to encourage farmers to respect good farming practices, to remunerate them when they go beyond these practices and to reduce the pollution, mainly in nitrates. They also include actions to reduce density of animals.
    4. According to the information provided by the WRFB, in any areas where water quality problems have been identified, remedial measures are being actively pursued. The development plan 1996-1999 was focused on stream development and the vast majority of the funding was invested in maximising trout production. Spawning and nursery grounds were restored where necessary and the result has achieved its objective with enormous increases in juvenile trout numbers in developed stretches of rivers. This is supported by a vast amount of scientific information gathered, both before development, and after development on fish stock numbers and compared against the necessary controls, etc.
    The operational programme for tourism was aimed at restoring spawning grounds with a view to protecting trout stocks in Lough Arrow. Responsibility for water quality in the lake rests primarily with Sligo and Roscommon County Councils and with the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). The Fisheries Board has only very limited powers in relation to water quality issues. For example, it may bring prosecutions in respect of specific offences but it has virtually no powers in regard to preventive measures. The Board does, however, carry out pollution inspections on a regular basis in the Lough Arrow catchment with view to identifying specific problems and these are dealt with as appropriate. A much wider programme, involving the local authorities, EPA, farming community etc. is desirable and should be spearheaded by the local authorities.
    5. As indicated by the WRFB, the introduced pike species must be controlled as has been clearly demonstrated by the scientific advisors to the programme. Pike are caught and removed and where possible transferred alive to non-salmonid waters by different methods including drum nets, gill nets and electro-fishing. Insofar as Lough Arrow is concerned, Community subsidies have not been used for the deployment of gill nets for the catching of pike.
    6. As stated by the WRFB, the gill nets are designed to catch pike and perch, the careful placing of the nets ensures that any by-catch is minimised. Other animals would only rarely be caught. The timing of placement and the locations used are designed to minimise the possibility of catching anything other than
    the target species. The number of wild foul caught is minuscule, even compared to the number of wild foul taken by the pike alone. As stated above, Community subsided gill nets are not used on Lough Arrow.
    7. According to the WRFB, the balance of nature in Loughs Corrib, Mask and Carra was upset by the introduction of pike. Current efforts are to try and maintain the indigenous species in these lakes. These lakes are of enormous importance as one of the last refugees of fast growing wild brown trout in alkaline waters and need to be maintained as salmonid waters. This is also the desire of the vast majority of Irish people who have lived and grown up in this area and for whom the lake, and wild brown trout in particular, is part of their heritage.
    In the NWRFB's view the use of gill nets does not upset the balance of nature. Gill nets are used to control pike that are not a native species. They are removed by gill nets because they prey on trout, which are a native species.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭mattcullen

is spinning/trolling more effective earlier in the year? Would like to give it a shot early next season as not crazy about fly fishing.Would crunching the barbs or using single instead of treble hooks not undo a lot of the damage done by this method?

• Advertisement

mattcullen wrote: »
    is spinning/trolling more effective earlier in the year? Would like to give it a shot early next season as not crazy about fly fishing.Would crunching the barbs or using single instead of treble hooks not undo a lot of the damage done by this method?

It's effective all season I find, but depends on the weather. I've caught fish on flat calm days when there wasn't a boat out. If the weather is like that you can let your spinner drop deep and the sun will still catch it 20 foot down. Plenty of nice spots if you take a boat. I fish the north part of the lake, depends if you're fishing from a boat of shore. Somewhere with good access if it's from the shore. If you drive out onto Inismicateer there's a few good stretches you can walk out onto, but no idea what the fishing is like. Big flat rocks you can walk out on.
    If you want to go barbless, you can buy barbless, or file them off. Handy to do if you stick the hook in a clamp.

Everyone has an opinion, so what if they are wrong. no need to try and label them the village idiot.

It is accepted practice on boards to back up claims you are making with links to stats or research proving those claims. Sorry if you thought I was being too sarcastic, but I don't see why we should allow ridiculous claims to be made on this forum and people not be called up on them. Also, making ridiculous statements without proof is a good indication of being an idiot.

Trout stocks on Corrib are not crashing hard, but stupid claims like that mentioned, can come up in google searches, etc. and give a misleading impression to e.g. foreign anglers researching a trip here.

Just because one guy can't catch trout he thinks its ok to state categorically that stocks are crashing - that's BS and I'll call him up on it.

Fair enough zippy. Im not a game angler, so im not going to make any comment on lough Corrib. Great to hear the stocks are doing well, unlike some of the former great coarse fishing spots around the country.

on another note, id love to get into trout fishing, its on my to-do list for next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭seamusmcspud

stylie wrote: »
    Some people have opinions on Lough Corrib yet it sounds like they never fished the lake.
    Fly anglers do the most damage, I fish Corrib more than any other lake in Ireland and I wetfly/dryfly/dap/buzzer fish and I also troll and spin. I have been doing all methods on Corrib for well over ten yrs between 2-3 weeks a year.
    Old timers fishing the brickeen are very different to specialized troller's, see CorribPredators on face book
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Corrib-Predator-Team/146066345456850?sk=wall
    The old brickeen anglers used to sell their catch and it is a method that should probably be banned or at least stopped early in the year as its deadly early on.
    Serious trollers are targeting large trout 6lb+ , they catch very few and C&R is creeping into their mindset.
    As for a guy spinning ? be it rapala's, mepps, spoon or tassie's they are not successful methods when compared to fly fishing.
    A fly angler will out fish the guy spinning over the course of the year no problem.

Its fly anglers that need to limit their catch and its B&B owners that need to say to their guests to observe the daily limit and size limit, which I saw broken in May by european anglers, and the B&B owners are powerless to say anything because they cant risk losing the paying customer.
    Also having a catch and kill competition(limited to 4, but still) every weekend doesn't help the lake

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

Zzippy wrote: »
    Trout stocks on Corrib are not crashing hard, but stupid claims like that mentioned, can come up in google searches, etc. and give a misleading impression to e.g. foreign anglers researching a trip here.

Zzippy, as a longstanding game angler who has fished the limestone loughs of Ireland for many years, I do not disrespect your views but can you please tell me as to why if stocks are so good that fishing is so poor?

I have heard stuff about trout changing the way they feed, but honestly i do think that that could be an issue but its not all the problem, not be a long shot.

You have mentioned foreign anglers and tourism. This is the key point. There is no point in the IFI fishing reports not telling the truth and the truth is that there is something wrong with trout fishing on Corrib. I respectfully suggest that i have watched the fishing reports for a number of years and some of the content is misleading. The reports concentrate totally on the 'rosy' side of things, well it might be good to focus on the positive but in the long term is failing to highlight the truth good for game angling? i doubt it.
    Maybe, just maybe its not the anglers on here who are misleading foreign anglers who are planning to visit Ireland?

stylie wrote: »
    Its fly anglers that need to limit their catch

I agree but its ALL anglers who need to limit their kill. There is no sense in arguing the difference between fly anglers and trollers/spinners. ALL game anglers whatever their level of ability, skill, or methods deployed should limit their kill. To me that means one trout per day and no more than 3 in any week, if this rule was adhered to by ALL anglers i feel that it would help stocks to recover.
    Some people just don't understand or don't want to understand that dead trout can not spawn. This is unfortunate.
    But lets not just pretend its as easy as that, there are other issues to consider that are nothing to do with the physical act of angling.

(sadly there is a lot of smart offensive comments on this forum please don't refer to concerned anglers as idiots, stupid etc etc they are not)

Zzippy, as a longstanding game angler who has fished the limestone loughs of Ireland for many years, I do not disrespect your views but can you please tell me as to why if stocks are so good that fishing is so poor?

I have heard stuff about trout changing the way they feed, but honestly i do think that that could be an issue but its not all the problem, not be a long shot.

You have mentioned foreign anglers and tourism. This is the key point. There is no point in the IFI fishing reports not telling the truth and the truth is that there is something wrong with trout fishing on Corrib. I respectfully suggest that i have watched the fishing reports for a number of years and some of the content is misleading. The reports concentrate totally on the 'rosy' side of things, well it might be good to focus on the positive but in the long term is failing to highlight the truth good for game angling? i doubt it.
    Maybe, just maybe its not the anglers on here who are misleading foreign anglers who are planning to visit Ireland?
    For the last 25 years on every lake I've ever fished I've heard anglers say "it was far better last year/5 years ago". A fisheries report is the only way, and if you think they're cooking their figures then I don't think anything will convince you.
    I agree but its ALL anglers who need to limit their kill. There is no sense in arguing the difference between fly anglers and trollers/spinners. ALL game anglers whatever their level of ability, skill, or methods deployed should limit their kill. To me that means one trout per day and no more than 3 in any week, if this rule was adhered to by ALL anglers i feel that it would help stocks to recover.
    Some people just don't understand or don't want to understand that dead trout can not spawn. This is unfortunate.
    But lets not just pretend its as easy as that, there are other issues to consider that are nothing to do with the physical act of angling.

(sadly there is a lot of smart offensive comments on this forum please don't refer to concerned anglers as idiots, stupid etc etc they are not)

Agree with limiting the fish you can take. I know locals (not foreigners shocker!!) that go out every day during the summer after work and they always take a few fish.
    And stupid comments need to be pointed out. And this thread has plenty of them in the first few posts.

Anglers opinions, fishing reports, etc are all subjective, and of course there will be a reluctance to highlight poor fishing. The only way to measure fishing stocks objectively is through scientific surveys, and I produced a report showing that stocks are actually up on Corrib, and haven't crashed as a previous poster claimed. That's the only fact in this argument so far. Your opinion, my opinion, are all irrelevant in the light of those facts.

I found fishing on Corrib this year to be very patchy - some days I never saw a fish, and some days I saw more fish rising than I've seen in years. Some days I had really good fishing, best I've had in a long time, and some days I blanked. A lot of changes have occurred over the last few years - the introduction of the invasive waterweed, the zebra mussel, reduced nutrient inputs (slight reduction), colder winters, etc.

Personally I think the zebra mussel has had a huge effect - the water clarity is 3-4 times now what it was a few years ago. I know anglers who have gone to 3 or 4lbs fluorocarbon/copolymer now, where before they fished 6lbs mono, because they recognise that increased clarity means increased visibility of their leaders, and guess what, they're the guys still catching fish. The guys who stuck with what they always did are not catching fish, and of course they blame falling stocks... the lake ecology is evolving, and if anglers don't change to suit this they won't catch fish, simple as. But one thing is for sure, the trout are still there!

Really angling reports should be truthful whether they bring good or bad news. If i was an angler planning to go to another country to fish and i read fishing reports produced by the state or govenrment agency from that country I would expect them to be accurate and honest.
    There should be no reluctance to tell the truth.

With regard to water clarity, fine lines etc that's all fine but it doesnt really stack up. i fish sheelin that has had the zebras for nearly 10 years and i have been using the fine diameter stuff for a long time now, i have posted about leader type and diameter many times on here in the past, its a pet subject of mine, so i am well up on it and its not the answer.
    Many years ago before pollution, zebras etc water clarity was very good and people still caught fish with heavier lines, there was no co-polymer or flouro back then!
    Take L Carra a prime example, always and ever a clear water lough and anglers down the years caught plenty fish there with 6lb and heavier mono. So why did this happen? I feel it happened because there were more trout competing for food.
    You say that the surveys show that there is as many fish as ever, well they must be feeding heavily on buzzer, shrimp, etc and paying less attention to what is at the surface.

• Advertisement

Really angling reports should be truthful whether they bring good or bad news. If i was an angler planning to go to another country to fish and i read fishing reports produced by the state or govenrment agency from that country I would expect them to be accurate and honest.
    There should be no reluctance to tell the truth.

With regard to water clarity, fine lines etc that's all fine but it doesnt really stack up. i fish sheelin that has had the zebras for nearly 10 years and i have been using the fine diameter stuff for a long time now, i have posted about leader type and diameter many times on here in the past, its a pet subject of mine, so i am well up on it and its not the answer.
    Many years ago before pollution, zebras etc water clarity was very good and people still caught fish with heavier lines, there was no co-polymer or flouro back then!
    Take L Carra a prime example, always and ever a clear water lough and anglers down the years caught plenty fish there with 6lb and heavier mono. So why did this happen? I feel it happened because there were more trout competing for food.
    You say that the surveys show that there is as many fish as ever, well they must be feeding heavily on buzzer, shrimp, etc and paying less attention to what is at the surface.

All good points, and maybe you answered the question with the last one... that's possible too. That could be down to the zebra mussel too - more mussels filtering the water means less plankton in the water, and the nutrients in the lake become concentrated in the benthic zone rather than the pelagic, so it would make sense that fish would be feeding more in that zone. Zebra mussels don't remove nutrients from a lake, but they "move" the nutrients to the bottom, and that's a huge ecological shift in the space of a few years...

Advertisement