Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Moving out before lease expires

• 05-12-2012 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hello, My friend and I have rented a house from the end of September with 3 other people. We paid 560 which included rent for October and a deposit of 300.
    My friend signed a lease but I didn't as I wasn't there on the day and the landlord forgot about it. The lease was for 9 months apparently.

We paid the landlord for November and we told him yesterday that we are moving out. He threatened legal action and that we couldn't move out unless we found replacements. The reason we moved out is because we weren't there since the beginning of November and there is no point in paying for a house you don't live in. What is likely to happen, will he forget about us or pursue further? Thanks for the help.:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

HairyJim wrote: »
    Hello, My friend and I have rented a house from the end of September with 3 other people. We paid 560 which included rent for October and a deposit of 300.
    My friend signed a lease but I didn't as I wasn't there on the day and the landlord forgot about it. The lease was for 9 months apparently.

We paid the landlord for November and we told him yesterday that we are moving out. He threatened legal action and that we couldn't move out unless we found replacements. The reason we moved out is because we weren't there since the beginning of November and there is no point in paying for a house you don't live in. What is likely to happen, will he forget about us or pursue further? Thanks for the help.:D

So you haven't paid for December even though today is the 5th, you haven't even given a months notice, what do you think is going to happen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

This is going to go well...

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭mountai

Well if I was your landlord , by the time I"d finished with you "Baldy Jim" would be a more suitable name for you. Do you not have ANY Shame at all??.Its hard enough for the ordinary decent LL to exist without the likes of you making things more difficult for them . I wish your kind would end up homeless!!!!"

mountai wrote: »
    Well if I was your landlord , by the time I"d finished with you "Baldy Jim" would be a more suitable name for you. Do you not have ANY Shame at all??.Its hard enough for the ordinary decent LL to exist without the likes of you making things more difficult for them . I wish your kind would end up homeless!!!!"

I subscribe to the premise the LLs normally get the tenants they deserve. There really should be a requirement to get a reference off the previous LL - that said the LL could have done that, I suspect he didn't bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

I suspect he didn't bother.
    What if he asked and their answer was we're first year students?

• Advertisement

HairyJim wrote: »
    He threatened legal action and that we couldn't move out unless we found replacements.
    And so says the law. The best case scenario is he hires the solicitor to write you a letter and you find yourself a one to answer the letter back. Case over.
    Worst case scenario is he chases you for the remainder of the rent at the court. You loose and are ordered to cover all the costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭mountai

beazee wrote: »
    And so says the law. The best case scenario is he hires the solicitor to write you a letter and you find yourself a one to answer the letter back. Case over.
    Worst case scenario is he chases you for the remainder of the rent at the court. You loose and are ordered to cover all the costs.

And that makes it all ok
    doesnt it You Fcuker!!!!!

Hope you cooled down a bit. I never said it makes it ok.

Just saying from my sole-trader experience. The business went down, customer spending was gone. Informed the LL that I could no longer keep the business. That I am willing to pay for the next month and may he keep the deposit but I am moving out as not willing to accumulate debts over non-payment of rent and rates. Leased the place for two years initially, sit there for almost 20 months.

This wasn't an easy talk. He threatened legal action. Our solicitors exchanged letters. I am in a limbo. Either there's Civil Bill coming to my doors or the case is closed. Just sit and wait were the words.

beazee wrote: »
    What if he asked and their answer was we're first year students?

The get references from the employer or ask for a guarantee from someone or a massive deposit or finally realise they're likely to be as irresponsible as the OP and take the hit.

I have very little sympathy for LL's that don't do sufficient checks. Not only does it effect them it usually effects the neighbours as well. Someone who can be this blasé about leaving a lease after a month is unlikely to give the first toss about whether people around them have work the next day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

You and your mate ditched on a lease.

The landlord is entitled to pursue you for damages less mitigation of damages (i.e. full rent for the term of the lease minus any rent he gets from a new tenant and he must take reasonable steps to try and find one).

Could he be bothered doing so ? Depends on him really. The way you treated him, if I were in his shoes I'd go to the PRTB against you - basically a free run at you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement