Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ashbourne

• 27-08-2012 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I am planning to buy a house in Ashbourne, Co. Meath. There are 2 properties we are interested in – one is in Archerstown area and the other one is in Racehill area. As I am not from this country need your suggestion on which one would be a better buy in terms of:
    • location,
    • better investment over 10 years if we plan to sell the house,
    • nicer locality/neighbourhood,
    • For renting – ease of renting and rent amount we can get depending on the area or facilities,
    • Traffic situation in Ashbourne at peak hours.

There is not much difference in terms of the price of the 2 houses.

Also if you could guide me about the transportation mode to City Centre – duration to city centre, cost of fare, days of service and frequency of travel.

Thanks & appreciate your response.

APJ

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭lovelyhurler

Hi APJ,

Both areas are good areas to live in.
    Ashbourne is still a relatively small town (area wise) so both places are well within a short walk of the town.
    Traffic in the town is no real hassle at peak times. Also, Bus Eireann route 103 is fairly frequent into the city at peak times. Outside of peak travel times the service runs about every 20 minutes or so - except on Sundays where there is a longer interval.

Only word of caution - get a good engineers report on your house purchase. Some estates in Ashbourne have been affected by Pyrite in the walls/floors etc. Not too sure about the 2 estates you've mentioned though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 APJ

Thanks lovelyhurler for the info. Me and my husband would probably be driving to town for work in the morning so is there a traffic bottleneck somewhere on the mainn street in the mornings?
    Besides this I just want to know about more about the estates : Archerstown and Racehill as there is a bit of difference in the price of the house as per our budget - Racehill is a bit over our budget so want to be sure that it is worthin longer term.

Cheers,
    Pooja

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭lovelyhurler

Depending on the time you leave no real bottlenecks. Obvisouly between 8:30 and 9:30 it gets busy around the schools with people dropping off kids and whatever.
    Personally I don't know too much about the individual estates (don't really know too many people living there) apart from just driving through them.
    Sorry I can't be of more help to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 APJ

Thanks lovelyhurler.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

You may have to deal with something like this :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭clint_silver

Depending on the time you leave no real bottlenecks. Obvisouly between 8:30 and 9:30 it gets busy around the schools with people dropping off kids and whatever.
    Personally I don't know too much about the individual estates (don't really know too many people living there) apart from just driving through them.
    Sorry I can't be of more help to you.

Assuming youre commuting to dublin, if youre coming out of racehill between 8:30 and 9:15 during school term, take the ever so slightly longer way up to the bypass by going to the (marriott/pillo/whatever its gong to called when nama sell it).
    adds no more then 60 seconds to your journey but youll miss the secondary school queues. That car on fire notwithstanding, Ive never seen any congestion other than if theres a funeral on in the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭Galego

APJ wrote: »
    I am planning to buy a house in Ashbourne, Co. Meath. There are 2 properties we are interested in – one is in Archerstown area and the other one is in Racehill area. As I am not from this country need your suggestion on which one would be a better buy in terms of:
    • location,
    • better investment over 10 years if we plan to sell the house,
    • nicer locality/neighbourhood,
    • For renting – ease of renting and rent amount we can get depending on the area or facilities,
    • Traffic situation in Ashbourne at peak hours.

There is not much difference in terms of the price of the 2 houses.

Also if you could guide me about the transportation mode to City Centre – duration to city centre, cost of fare, days of service and frequency of travel.

Thanks & appreciate your response.

APJ

Did you buy in Ashbourne at the end? We are considering it ourself too and just wondering how you got on.

Galego wrote: »

Did you buy in Ashbourne at the end? We are considering it ourself too and just wondering how you got on.
    What questions do you have and we'll try and answer. The m50 is ten minutes away. There's a cinema, gyms, shops, some of the top sports facilities in the country. 2-3 decent restaraunts.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 beauty007

Hi
    was looking to buy in archerstown demense.
    is it really worth?
    Is it a safe area/neighborhood? , are the schools good?
    Are buses reliable for commute to work everyday to town?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Us1144

Hi,

My wife and I are thinking about buying a new house in Ashbourne Co.Meath.
    We have a young kid (15 Months).
    We are working in Blanchardstown and ParkWest.
    We visit twice Asbourne and really like it.

How is the life there ? And how are the schools ? What about a secondary school ?

Thank you for your answers.

• Advertisement

Us1144 wrote: »
    Hi,

My wife and I are thinking about buying a new house in Ashbourne Co.Meath.
    We have a young kid (15 Months).
    We are working in Blanchardstown and ParkWest.
    We visit twice Asbourne and really like it.

How is the life there ? And how are the schools ? What about a secondary school ?

Thank you for your answers.

Life is great. Lots of schools but the population is young so competition to get in but should be ok.
    2 secondary schools. 1 long established and 1 new one Its second year. Perfect for yours if young. Pharmacies coffee shops. Super value, Tesco dunnes Aldi lidl. Restaraunts. Clothes shops. Cycle lanes. Spice bags. Hotels. Chocolate shop. Gaa club. Motorway bypass. Head Garda office for the region. Banks. Pyrite in some houses, do your homework. Very hard water. Buy a softener. Traffic bit slow going through the town. To be expected. Baseball club. Rugby club. All Ireland draughts team. Soccer clubs. Cycling club. 2 nearby athletics clubs. St Patrick's day festival. 10 minutes from the m50.

Advertisement