Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mick Foley Ireland Shows

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭IanMc666

Snakeblood wrote: »
    I think I was about 2 rows in front of the arseholes. Just terrible. Mick isn't the best comedian, he needs a receptive audience for the material, and some cockbag behind me kept saying 'Tori Amos' for a solid five minutes before Mick used it as a punchline. Awful, awful arseholes.

You must have been near me so.. The second that lad shouted out that I cringed and knew from there that the show would go downhill.

Sure it was no better than Mick recalling a moment and someone shouting "1998!!!!".

There is more to Mick than Hell In A Cell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

IanMc666 wrote: »
    You must have been near me so.. The second that lad shouted out that I cringed and knew from there that the show would go downhill.

Sure it was no better than Mick recalling a moment and someone shouting "1998!!!!".

There is more to Mick than Hell In A Cell.

The guy who shouted 1998 was like 2 seats in front of me. I WANTED TO SMASH HIS STUPID FACE INTO HIS GUTS.

The problem was that the comedians were fine. They didn't have to worry about the wrestling overtaking the comedy, Mick just had people who were interested in wrestling and not interested in the comedy. And the compere guy had a list of putdowns he could at least use.

I thought it was a bad idea that they said there wouldn't be an interval, so 40% of the crowd ran out to get booze, then they had an interval anyway but I saw nagins of vodka on the floor where the arseholes were sitting when I left. THey would have been arseholes anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭A-Train

I was at with 3 friends, enjoyed the mc, the 2 comedians and the great man himself. He was a gent, got pictures and autographs from him!

But my god me and the lads left the gig absolute raging because of these stupid arseclowns thinking their brilliant shouting out stuff and ruining it for everybody else just they had a bit of Dutch courage.

Mick was clearly very annoyed and we were raging that everybody in Dublin as he said himself would be remembered as a bad crowd because of these losers! We were sitting down the front and really can't understand how people sitting besides these guys didn't resort to violence.

Me and the lads all tweeted him to try say the gig was great but please don't let the idiots destroy the Irish crowds name.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

Yea. As I said in a Tweet to him, it wasn't just that they can't handle their drink as they can't handle being out in public. Feck sake. Thank god it wasn't the last night of his tour

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Would be ironic if those feckin geebags were the ones complaining and giving out that he wasn't doing a Dublin show on the last tour!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭thegoth

I just wanted to hit the guy at the very front right with the white tight shirt on. So loud and kept standing like he was the alpha male before the gig started and during the break. Id say he had taken more than drink too.....IMO

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

***WARNING! VERBOSE RECOUNT OF FOLEY'S DUBLIN GIG!***

427382_376395352380072_214180768601532_1432578_1534051303_n.jpg

As ever, Mick is a true gentleman and a charismatic, humble guy; but the show really didn't come together. As others mentioned the low point of the show was the ~5 hecklers who would should out random foley-esque references. Unfortunately Mick isn't an accomplished comedian so he couldn't deal with them very well; he couldn't just power-on through the heckles, ultimately halting his anecdotes (one right before the punchline) to chastise/reason with a heckler, before having to set up his gag again. He'd offer to give them a refund right out of his wallet; he'd talk to them with civility, and it didn't work at all. It went on for far too long and felt like you were back in school, when the teacher was giving out. He did bring it back up (how the night hadn't gone great) and apologised, which was also death.

The meet & greet started about 6pm and the show ended at 11pm - a horrible idea - as you're potentially (and likely) having people hungover in the crowd. The starting time was late, come about 8pm there was no alcohol in the venue (and was replenished during the opening acts). They initially announced no intermission, and then changed their mind, the whole operation seemed very last minute.

The MC was an irish comedian Chris Brooker, who came out with and Edge t-shirt and theme, and did wrestling gags (ruining his undertaker t-shirt that his girlfriend threw on, while misusing his wrestlemania seat) hit and miss but i did appreciate him trying to make wrestling jokes and the crowd ate it up.

There were two warm up acts, a wexford fella (Mick Thomas) living in NY; who talked about his daughter being his favourite.....then a real yank (Tim Guage) who had a yank routine about taking his kids to the beach by himself (carrying everything, taking his son to the piss-stained public toilets) and being at an age that he's now bald and can't fart because sometimes it's more than that. Universal fart humour. Both guys were on form and quite funny, got good laughs and lightened the mood. Great job guys. Actually met the bald US comedian just outside the auditorium before he went on stage. obviously i didn't know who he was, he was right to say the toilets weren't up these stairs. Also wandered into the backstage by accident trying to get back to the auditorium; backtracked like Hawk during a Vader promo when i saw flashlights starting to move in my direction!

The real problem was that this was a pro-wrestling crowd, used to hollering whatever/whenever they want, trying to get the performers' attention. But this is a comedy gig in an auditorium with 500 seated people. So 498 are silent/attentive, every heckle can be heard. Mick also had a 'special song' to play for hecklers, but even patiently waiting and hassling the sound guy from the stage, it never came on. I tweeted Mick about it, maybe he can tell us! Bar the few scattered muppets in the crowd, Foley couldn't ask for a better, more receptive audience. His comic timing isn't great, some of his punchlines fell flat and his anecdotes could be more interesting than funny; but whenever he paused, he'd get a laugh and a round of applause. He does mostly whisper into the mic, or maybe it's a comedian stressing-importance thing.

Reading a review from last year's gig, seems like he had all new material, so I'll share some of it here.

The funniest parts of the show were cheap shots at TNA (he told a story about Velvet Sky motorboating him, was shocked as a married man, but had an entire TNA crowd as witnesses - literally dozens of people); he initially came out to his WWE music, then re-did the entrance mocking Brodus Clay, dancing! He also stopped halfway through the show to peel back his left sleeve to reveal his crib notes, which got a raucous cheer. Surprised only a few people got the reference and shouted "THE DOZENS!" of Foley fans.

Pretty much the whole set was wrestling (that and complaining/apologising about hecklers); he mentioned getting pumped listening to a Tori Amos song before his WM2006 match with Edge (Kane interrupted Foley in a meditation tent at the venue, having heard what he was listening to, said "remind me never to **** with you"); Dynamite Kid drinking at a bar and telling a fan (Jericho) who was sheepishly approaching him to "don't even ****ing think about it!"; recounted a story about getting a h---j-- from a hitchhiker while her boyfriend was in the back sleeping (I didn't like this at all, but he did explain it at the end of the set that it was his wife roleplaying). He sidetracked talking about black comedians and their impressions of white people "hey there feller! Cut the malarkay!" which was quite funny.

He did recount the Hell in a Cell match with Undertaker (and how his wife gave out to him for not ringing home straight after the match - something he does every time - except this one, he was unconsious) and said the worst bump of the night was not getting chokeslammed through the cell, but having the chair follow him down and smash him in the face. He compared it to real sports (where they'd stop if someone was unconsious) to wrestling (where Vince would say "buy him some time"; sending terry funk out there to get chokeslammed out of his shoes. Foley noted he never saw Funk, just "what are these shoes doing in the ring?"...So when his tooth came out of his mouth and pierced his penis, sorry - nose, Taker leaned in and said (Foley warned us about breaking kayfabe) "hey there feller!" which got a big laugh. He said Taker said (in his best Taker impression) "Go home".

He noted that when he was commissioner, he didn't have days or hours to read the script; as commish he had to know what everyone else was saying but he loved working live tv shows and having to improvise. Another anecdote was circa 2000 when he saw Vince backstage just before a show talking to Jericho, reminding him to call Steph a "dirty disgusting (etc) trash bag ho"; Foley looking at him weird and saying "Vince, that's your daughter" and Vince replying "In this business I'd do anything for a pop". Which got some kind laughs and a round of applause. Whenever Foley's punchlines didn't work he'd just get a round of applause.

His last joke's punchline died/abruptly stopped as he went *straight into* a very short Q&A without missing a beat, it was really very odd. Someone asked about being a wrestler ("don't do it"), what was the sorest move (Foley couldn't understand him and so - next!) next autobiography (maybe 1 person cheered) and said he's written one but that's why it isn't out (Mick was generally not that quick on his feet with comebacks etc)...funniest rib (story about Owen -- during the attitude era the godfather got his ho's from local bars, and owen convinced tv news reporters that they worked for the WWF, and were being interviewed on TV, and blackjack mulligan saw and broke it up. "and that was owen" was the punchline).

To end the night he mentioned 'when people asked me about this tour i'm gonna say it was great - except for dublin' (which got gasps) and then he backtracked and said 'except for a few people in dublin'. He also mentioned his experience affecting him coming back (negatively) but the compere/introducer did mention he'll definitely be back (....dunno about that mate!). After mick apologised for not dealing/having to deal with the hecklers, he did a schtick about torture, and getting motorboated by Velvet Sky (saying it was like being punched by Vader, but in a good way) and torture was not being threatened with something, but being threatened that something great was never going to happen again. He brought out the two warm-up acts; and then left the stage (cursing this show); got a standing ovation/applause but the mood was still very sour after the complaining he did, as everyone awkwardly left.

So it was memorable, to say the least! Anyway I didn't mean it to go so long, but sure, hope you got a good feel for the show. I gotta stress that most people were absolutely lovely, attentive and had a great time, but the parting thought/mood was disappointment and sourness from Mick, and from the Dublin crowd about the few scattered '****' in the crowd. Hey, at least I was there for the first and last Dublin Foley gig!

TL;DR? Everyone tried to have a good night but it was ruined/soured by a few hecklers & Mick couldn't deal with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

A friend of mine went to this and made a pretty valid point. It's Foley fans (be they good or bad) who might have gone to a comedy gig for the very first time. Sure they came across as arseholes but politely offering a refund was probably the worst thing you could do. I'm sure as a comedian he'll learn you have to verbally murder these people to send a message.

Did anybody tell the hecklers to shut up or was it just Foley?

It was the same few people; I'm sure it would've been a different story if Foley hired security. Sure hindsight is 20/20 but chuck the first heckler out and the rest fall in line.

There were a few scattered "shut up!" etc in the crowd but nothing much; more applauding Mick's chastising.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

Getting to meet Mick was brilliant. My fiancée had a blast chatting to him and was delighted to get a hug from him-made her night. So when we left the meet and greet to get some food we were both on a high.

The place was PACKED! Think I only saw four empty seats. The MC was alright, his Wrestlemania chair story was great, and he knew how to handle hecklers...sort of. You had a feeling that some lads where not going to shut up, but maybe it wouldnt happen during Foleys set.

I was wrong.

We both thought Mick was a blast, and I was glad to ask a question during Q&A (The ribbing story one), but the lads looking for attention just ruined the night. I mean the athmosphere just became so sour whenever Foley got sidetracked, and watching him keep his head down and shaking it as he walked off stage was disheartening.

I think the venue could have been better organised. I mean announcing that there was no intermission so get drink, then changing their minds and telling people to get booze again. Plus the sound guy needed a slap. I noticed at one stage when Mick was looking for his special music the guy wasn't in the bloody booth! And finally if they had actual security then the lads could have been removed very quickly.

But as we left we tried to just focus on the positives. Kicks stories were very funny and interesting, the warm ups were good and Mick was a great man to talk to at the meet and greet. I hope he comes back, picks a different venue and lets us have another chance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

I never got why people get totally plastered going to these events why bother going if you won't even remember what happened and it ruins it for people who want just want a nite out. I don't even bother with things like this anymore sad to say but there are a lot of total **** that are Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

Sorry to hear that a few dopes ruined it for everyone,seems to be an epidemic in Ireland had the same thing happen at Dara O Briain a couple of weeks back in Cork he was more equipped to handle it but it still really pissed him off and made the vibe bad,At one point the staff was going to throw out the culprits but he stopped them which I think he regretted in the end

This country is becoming overwhelmed with muppetry and it's sad to see

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Mick Foley: Stand Up UK Tour 2011
    Thanks to everybody that came out to the the shows in Liverpool and Dublin. Two packed houses and, with one or two exceptions, genuinely amazing crowds that made for a superb atmosphere. Photos from the meet & greet sessions will be uploaded to http://www.mickfoleystandup.co.uk/ (Yes Ireland, we know you're not part of the UK.) late next week. You'll be able to download them for free at your leisure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

I enjoyed it for what it was,think it would've worked better If Mick just told funny wrestling stories completely instead of awkwardly trying to slot standup-esque routines randomly into his act.He also needs to learn how to deal with hecklers.

I arrived late so missed the opening act,and ended up sitting at the very back of the auditorium beside a lad and his girlfriend who didn't seem to get any of Mick's wrestling references.

The drunken hecklers definitely put a dampener on the show overall,but it had to be expected in a room full of wrestling fans with drink taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭jmolloy

Show in Belfast was similar to Dublin, the MC was different I think he was from Bristol but he did the whole edge routine as well and told a good story about meeting a fellow ginger in sheamus.

The warm ups were both quite good but Micks set was a collection of storys (HIAC, Velvet, Hitchhiker, Kane and Black people impersonations) The special song for hecklers was Kurt Angles entry music so everyone could shout you suck. Funny. He also sang a new song he'd written called Barry in response to Barry Manilows Mandy pretty funny.

The Q&A was hit and miss some good questions one awful one (did you ever beat hhh? i mean honestly)

The meet and greet was after and was a bit rushed just time for a quick word and an autograph as well as the photo. Got my copy of Tietam Brown signed :-)

Overall Pretty good, some people need to learn when to shut up though as there was one guy who kept shouting 'lets go Randy' during the main set and 'bang bang' the mc had a word with him but the guy just wasn't for talking to i think

B+ overall highlight been the Brodus Clay entry and the Velvet story, negatives just the idiots in the crowd everyone on the staff deserves credit for the show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭G-Money

It's such a shame the Dublin show was ruined by those hecklers. I wasn't at it but if I was, that would have made my blood boil. I saw a tweet from Mick and he seemed to enjoy the Belfast show a lot more than the Dublin one.

If he comes back, hopefully he will get to do his stand-up uninterrupted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭montyrebel

to me I am a huge Mick Foley mark and I arrived at the venue in belfast way too early lol, so stood outside chatting with my friend for a few minutes, up comes the black cab and a not the worse looking chick in the world pops out.

My friend says to me check out here t-shirt (cactus jack one) and there 2 foot behind her was mick himself, she was his PA I think. So me and my friend got to meet him before everyone else and he saw that I had 2 of his books with me for him to sign. And without even me asking he says would you like me to sign them for you, and he was happy to do it.

He was such an absolute gent and I couldnt have been happier, I am male 27 years old and I am not afraid to admit that I had a tear in my eye.
    Mick Foley is my all time wrestling hero and if he reads this, thank you for making a dream come true for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Looking at reports from the worldwide tour as a whole, and it seems nearly every fifth show had the problem of idiots shouting out and trying to be funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭sixfingered

Can't say I massively enjoyed the evening to be honest, and not just because of the hecklers. First of all, Mick seemed tired and disinterested during the meet and greet which I found weird. I've always heard good things about Mick during meet and greets, I guessed he was just wrecked though, and i was happy to get a pic and his autograph.

I really enjoyed the two support acts and the ginger dude but the organization was terrible, as others have mentioned. Opening up at 6 and not starting until almost 9 wasn't a great idea, as there was nothing to do around the place apart from drink for most people. Me and the two people i was with went out and had dinner instead, we didn't see many people drinking when we left but it was hugely noticeable when we got back. Still didn't expect the messiness from some people though.

As far as Mick's performance goes, he's simply not a comedian. It was almost like he's seen Kevin Smith's success with his Q&A's and thought he could replicate it. i found the stories interesting and the odd punchline was good but i'd read quite a bit of the stories before in his books. I laughed a lot more during the support than i did during Mick's show.

As far as the hecklers were concerned, they were out of order. Complete arseholes who seem to think that the show was about them and not the actual talent. Sadly, this is always the case with shows in Ireland I find, and wrestling fans are no different. I think Mick handled it quite poorly, the fact is, he's a novice comedian and it's his wrestling status that allows him to play in bigger venues to bigger crowds at such an early stage of his comedy career. If he was a regular guy starting out, he'd be playing to much smaller crowds at open mic nights and he'd get a lot more heckling! Heckling is a part and parcel of comedy gigs unfortunately so i would've expected him to deal with it better. I really thought his whinging about how he would've organized it differently was a cheap show at the ginger dude that was unnecessary, but maybe I'm reading too much into it.

Overall, it and it was a pleasure to meet one of my all time heroes and I'd definitely go and see him again, but I'd be hoping for a bit of an improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Cactus Colm

Can't say I massively enjoyed the evening to be honest, and not just because of the hecklers. First of all, Mick seemed tired and disinterested during the meet and greet which I found weird. I've always heard good things about Mick during meet and greets, I guessed he was just wrecked though, and i was happy to get a pic and his autograph.

I really enjoyed the two support acts and the ginger dude but the organization was terrible, as others have mentioned. Opening up at 6 and not starting until almost 9 wasn't a great idea, as there was nothing to do around the place apart from drink for most people. Me and the two people i was with went out and had dinner instead, we didn't see many people drinking when we left but it was hugely noticeable when we got back. Still didn't expect the messiness from some people though.

As far as Mick's performance goes, he's simply not a comedian. It was almost like he's seen Kevin Smith's success with his Q&A's and thought he could replicate it. i found the stories interesting and the odd punchline was good but i'd read quite a bit of the stories before in his books. I laughed a lot more during the support than i did during Mick's show.

As far as the hecklers were concerned, they were out of order. Complete arseholes who seem to think that the show was about them and not the actual talent. Sadly, this is always the case with shows in Ireland I find, and wrestling fans are no different. I think Mick handled it quite poorly, the fact is, he's a novice comedian and it's his wrestling status that allows him to play in bigger venues to bigger crowds at such an early stage of his comedy career. If he was a regular guy starting out, he'd be playing to much smaller crowds at open mic nights and he'd get a lot more heckling! Heckling is a part and parcel of comedy gigs unfortunately so i would've expected him to deal with it better. I really thought his whinging about how he would've organized it differently was a cheap show at the ginger dude that was unnecessary, but maybe I'm reading too much into it.

Overall, it and it was a pleasure to meet one of my all time heroes and I'd definitely go and see him again, but I'd be hoping for a bit of an improvement.

I agree with most of this. Thought the meet and greet started things off badly, and I think when people see the disinterest in Mick's face in their photos when they're finally put up there will be quite a bit of disappointment. As the power in the camera went down before I got to the front of the queue I got to see that glorious disinterest straight away on my phone.

Had finished with the meet and greet by 7 and instead of hanging around for two hours with nothing to do, opted to pop out for a drink and a chat instead. Missed the first comedian, and arrived for the second one who was very good. Popped out for another quick drink. The messiness of some people was pretty obvious as we left the second time.

The bit I disagree with from above, is that it wasn't a pleasure meeting one of my all time heroes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭sixfingered

That's a real shame Cactus. As I said above, it was blatant to me that he seemed like he'd rather be anywhere else for the whole meet and greet, even the way he wasn't properly shaking hands was strange I thought.

Having been lucky enough to meet the likes of Bret Hart, Jericho and RVD in the past it was nice to cross Mick off the list, but the experience was nothing compared to how it was with the guys I mentioned above.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Mick Foley: Stand Up UK Tour 2011
    My word... What an amazing tour it's been. Every show packed to the rafters and every single night had it's own unique moments of absolute brilliance. Thank you to everyone that came to support Mick in Glasgow, London, Cardiff, Birmingham, Sheffield, Liverpool, Dublin and Belfast. Rest assured this is not the last time we'll be seeing The Hardcore Legend and he will be back in 2013.

We've had so many folk asking about Mick's support acts from the tour. They were Jim Smallman (London, Birmingham: @JimSmallman), Ian Smith (London: @IanSmithComedy), Vidar Hodnekvam (Cardiff: @VidarHodnekvam), Carl Hutchinson (Cardiff: @CPHutchinson), Brendon Burns (London, Birmingham: @BBrendonBurns), Sully O'Sullivan (Birmingham: @Sully_OSullivan), Steffen Peddie (Sheffield, @BigOwlComedy), Martin Mor ( Sheffield: @MartinBigpigMor), Sam Avery (Liverpool: @SamFrandisc0), Danny Deegan (Liverpool: @DannyDeegan), Mick Thomas (Dublin, Belfast: @MickThomas) and Tim Gage (Dublin, Belfast: Isn't on Twitter. Luddite.). Biased though we might be we're going to give special mention to tour compere Chris Brooker, on Twitter as @TheBrookerMan. If you liked any of the guys you saw then be sure to follow them and check them out at a comedy club near you.

Thank you to the venues and everyone that staffed them. Thank you to everyone that helped us promote the tour via Twitter and Facebook. Thank you to the folk at the One Wrestling Show, Sky Sports News, Soccer AM, Kerrang, Entertainment.Ie, The Dubliner, The Daily Star, Wrestletalk TV, The Slam and everyone else that took time to speak to us about the tour.

A special thank you to Laura, the brains behind the operation, for doing all the tricky number stuff as well as selling merchandise, taking photos and being quite the dancer alongside The Dudeasaurus.

One final plug for Mick's RAINN Wrestlemania raffle. The prize is astounding, open to folk in the UK & Ireland and it's for an exceptionally good cause. Head over to http://www.realmickfoley.com/mania/ to enter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

Gotta disagree about the meet and greet. Maybe it's because we got in early, but my finacee and I got plenty of time to talk with Mick, he had a firm handshake and he gave Lisa a huge hug. Chatted about the interview I did for the podcast which he remembered very well, brought up what we talked about to me and thanked me for letting him give his side of the Wrestlezone fiasco. To be fair though, when we left the MC announced that everyone had to be quicker with Mick but noone said anything to him first, which could have dampened his mood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭ Joseph Elegant Bridge

Ok night, meeting Mick was the hilight, give it 5/10.

The Good:
    The opening acts and the MC were very funny. Mick was good, better than I thought he would be.

The Bad:
    5 euro for a bottle of warm beer? WTF
    The whole thing was very late starting. I was hoping to be out of there my around 10:30 - 10:45, but Mick didnt come on until around 10:30. We arrived at 6:30, didnt get out of there until 11:45.

The Ugly:
    The childish retards looking for attention that wouldnt shut up for Mick. Example, Mick in the middle of a story mentions vader...."HES GAY......THATS WHAT SHE SAID", queue moans of discust from the crowd, and totally put Mick off his chain of thought.

Overall Mick was very pissed off, he got a standing ovation, but didnt even come back on to acknowledge it.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 virgs1

I went to the show in Leicester Square on Sat 25th Feb, was cool to meet the guy but he looked very tired, great show although like many have said before me we did get guys heckling him and shouting out things to at one point Mick got quite serious and said 'one more your getting socko' (and security no doubt) The Q & A at the end was a nice touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭OrgasmicBaz

I thought the show was bad lads. I have watched wrestling all my life and Foley put on some great shows even tho he was the most gifted of wrestlers. Stand up comedy doesn't suit Foley, he wasnt even funny. The only funny jokes he told were the wrestling ones and he probably only told 3 or 4 of them. He handed the crowd badly and should of ripped people out of it that were heckling. Instead he got defensive and a bit tick IMO. I respect him as a wrestler but i think he should give up the comedy, he's only ruining his reputation

• Registered Users Posts: 48 virgs1

I thought the show was bad lads. I have watched wrestling all my life and Foley put on some great shows even tho he was the most gifted of wrestlers. Stand up comedy doesn't suit Foley, he wasnt even funny. The only funny jokes he told were the wrestling ones and he probably only told 3 or 4 of them. He handed the crowd badly and should of ripped people out of it that were heckling. Instead he got defensive and a bit tick IMO. I respect him as a wrestler but i think he should give up the comedy, he's only ruining his reputation

I agree with you, his wrestling jokes/stories were funny but I got lost with his American politics stuff...As I said the Q&A was a nice touch though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

Isn't it kinda incredibly arrogant to be doing standup comedy on a professional basis without really getting used to the craft first, like, doing heaps of random open mic type things so he can get used to different crowds who won't be as reverential toward him and whatnot?
    I assumed the shows are entirely about wrestling, which would be fine imo, making it more like a kevin smith styled Q&A type thing to a crowd of fans, who sorta gradually edged his way towards more typical standup material.

Is the meet and greet bit with the show or do you have to pay extra for it?

It's free u just need to show up almost 3 hours before the show starts :rolleyes:

Did anyone catch his last punchline before the Q&A started? He powered on through the setup, punchline and asking for Q&A without missing a beat. It was so fast i didn't even catch it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭duuuaaaane

I was in the dressing room after the show caught in the middle of a very awkward conversation, Mick was very upset with the hecklers and took it quite personally, but Chris was there telling him it was still a good show but Mick insisted if his show doesn't start until 10/11 you can't have a signing at 6 with 3 warm up's and an interval inbetween. Just won't work, but he'll be back next year and I'm guessing it'll be handled a lot differently!

Advertisement