Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

N40 - Cork South Ring Bandon & Sarsfield Flyovers

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,569 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Hogzy wrote: »
    All you have to do is stick up a sign saying no pedestrians. Its much cheaper than redesignating and rebuilding every junction. Boreenmanor road would have to be done. The service station would have to be relocated as well as the business across the road. The back Douglas road interchanges are not sufficently grade separated. Also the fact that there is no hard shoulder would make it impossible. All the council havr to do is draft a bylaw to prevent pedestrians using the road.
    Much easier

Agreed. I think that more than enough road has been redisignated motorway at this stage. Look at all the blue on the latest maps!

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭busman

Apart from the gsj with the back Douglas road?

Is it wise to allow pedestrians walk along a dual carriageway like this?
    http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=51.885313,-8.463871&spn=0.007404,0.029783&t=h&z=16&layer=c&cbll=51.886125,-8.463764&panoid=jqvpTtPiNlQmTQLV14tD_A&cbp=12,356.49,,0,4.35

Never seen a pedestrian on it myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

busman wrote: »

You'd see them every so often alright. And on the SRR. And there's far too many cyclists using both roads too. It's unbelievably dangerous and they don't seem to realise this!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

busman wrote: »

There are 'no pedestrian' signs at the entrances to some of the SRR slip roads - the one leading from the South Douglas Road to the SRR Westbound for example.

I've never seen pedestrians although my sister has seen kids playing games on the road: a group of young lads were waiting for long gaps in traffic, then doing push-ups on the road. :eek:

This happened between the Togher junction and the Sarsfield Road roundabout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

I was once about 1 km from the Jack Lynch Tunnel heading for the M8, when out of the blue a scobe in a shiny tracksuit literally leapt like a greyhound over the dividing hedge in the centre of the road and darted past the front of my car, which I was driving at 100km/h. He didn't even stop to see if anything was coming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

Furet wrote: »
    I was once about 1 km from the Jack Lynch Tunnel heading for the M8, when out of the blue a scobe in a shiny tracksuit literally leapt like a greyhound over the dividing hedge in the centre of the road and darted past the front of my car, which I was driving at 100km/h. He didn't even stop to see if anything was anything coming.

Pity you don't get minus penalty points for hitting idiots like that...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mickeyderoof

i heardthe prining documents had gome out to Tender and that the prices had all been received. Interesting to know who is in for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

theres a link on the GORT/TUAM thread

http://www.transport.ie/pressRelease.aspx?Id=266

with a list of projects to go ahead in 2011, and the South Ring Road Interchanges are on it, I wont believe it till i see it, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

It looks very likely and personally I want to see it happen.

However Cork got stiffed on the M20.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Jayuu

What I don't understand here is why they are pressing ahead with this without adding Dunkettle into it. Surely it would have made more sense to do all of the N25 junctions at the same time.

It is crazy that when this scheme is finished most (if not all) or the SSR interchanges will have been upgraded except for the most important one of all.

• Advertisement

Jayuu wrote: »
    What I don't understand here is why they are pressing ahead with this without adding Dunkettle into it. Surely it would have made more sense to do all of the N25 junctions at the same time.

It is crazy that when this scheme is finished most (if not all) or the SSR interchanges will have been upgraded except for the most important one of all.

I agree that ideally they should be done simultaneously. However, for some reason the NRA waited until 2010 to appoint a civil engineering contractor (Jacobs) to design a free-flow solution for Dunkettle. The preliminary design and public consultation documents, which will give us a graphic of the proposed upgrade, won't be released until mid-2011. The EIS likely won't be approved until 2012. On the other hand, Sarsfield and Bandon are ready to roll now, and roll they shall. This will be an impressive project and I personally cannot wait till the work starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭busman

IThis will be an impressive project and I personally cannot wait till the work starts.

Agree, but personally I can't wait until the work is finished! I'm sure they will be traffic chaos while its going on :(

Just got this reply to a request for a status update:
    We are currently awaiting confirmation re availability of funding. We hope to be doing our next meaningful progress update before the end of this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

Just got this reply to a request for a status update:

thanx!
    I would not be surprised if this was put on the back burner :(

• Registered Users Posts: 84,992 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Red Fm News announced that Pat Carey said the funding is there and these are a go

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Red Fm News announced that Pat Carey said the funding is there and these are a go

pffft...
    He is a FF man trying to grasp hold of a few votes. Ill believe such a statement when i see the first sod turned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

It appears to be going ahead...

"A total of €867 million will be invested in the National Roads Programme this year, Minister for Transport Pat Carey confirmed today.

This compares with a €1.115 billion investment in the programme last year.

Schemes starting this year include the Belturbet, Longford and Tralee by-passes and the Cork Southern Ring Road Interchanges.

Also scheduled to get under way are new projects covering the N7/N11 at Arklow, Rathnew and Newland Cross, the M17/18 Gort to Tuam, the N87 Ballyconnell Relief Road and the N4 Downs Grade separation."

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/0124/breaking52.html

Cionád wrote: »
    , the N87 Ballyconnell Relief Road and the N4 Downs Grade separation

Very unexpected!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I wouldnt believe a word of it. Its electioneering.

New road projects are the least of the government/oppositions concerns right about now.

Further good signs...
    Cork flyovers will save 30 minutes
    By Eoin English
    WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 26, 2011

FLYOVERS which will be built at two of Cork’s most notorious bottlenecks this year will save motorists at least 30 minutes at peak times.

It is hoped that contracts for the construction of the flyovers at the Sarsfield road and Bandon road roundabouts on the N25 south ring road will be awarded within weeks.

It follows confirmation from the Government that some €877 million is to be spent on the National Roads Programme.

The National Roads Authority (NRA) is expected to sign off on the money, which includes €14.5m to start the flyovers, within days.

Both junctions have become chronic bottlenecks since the construction of the flyover at the Kinsale road roundabout.

The two flyovers will be built in about two years by BAM Construction under a single contract.

The overall value of the scheme is estimated at €100m. It includes two flyovers, about eight kilometres of dual carriageway and link roads, pedestrian and cyclist facilities and lighting, and the removal of the two existing footbridges.

Preparatory works have been under way for some time in anticipation of funding.

Engineers have also had talks with the emergency services to ensure that ambulances in particular, en route to nearby Cork University Hospital, are not delayed.

"While there will inevitably be some disruption during the construction phase, I believe this project will be of major benefit to Cork commuters and provides a welcome boost to the local economy," Fianna Fáil TD Michael McGrath said.

The public has now been invited to register on an email database for regular updates, and for information on traffic diversions.

Site office tel: 021-4821 046 or email: n25@ccc-site.com.

This appeared in the printed version of the Irish Examiner Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Read more: http://www.examiner.ie/ireland/cork-flyovers-will-save-30-minutes-143199.html#ixzz1C6Qksgbx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Bards

Excellent News indeed that this is going to get underway this year, and not before time either

So the NRA has currently only guaranteed €14.5m towards actual construction? Am i correct in reading/saying that?

Completely forgot about the issues for Ambulance drivers, i heard on the news the other day that the HSE is trying to cut response times in Cork down to 8mins on average. When the Kinsale RR was being constructed traffic was mayhem. There will have to be a dedicated lane if anything for ambulances to use.

anyone hear any updates about this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Hogzy wrote: »
    So the NRA has currently only guaranteed €14.5m towards actual construction? Am i correct in reading/saying that?

Completely forgot about the issues for Ambulance drivers, i heard on the news the other day that the HSE is trying to cut response times in Cork down to 8mins on average. When the Kinsale RR was being constructed traffic was mayhem. There will have to be a dedicated lane if anything for ambulances to use.

although they drive Ambulances, you musnt call them Ambulance drivers..you wouldnt want to upset them..they are paramedics/EMTs depending on where you are

corktina wrote: »
    although they drive Ambulances, you musnt call them Ambulance drivers..you wouldnt want to upset them..they are paramedics/EMTs depending on where you are

:rolleyes:

You must be an ambulance driver yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Prowetod

Any updates on this?

Waiting for confirmation of funding; substantial update due at the end of the month.

Tremelo wrote: »
    Waiting for confirmation of funding; substantial update due at the end of the month.

do tell?

cork_south wrote: »
    do tell?

I know no more than that unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Tremelo wrote: »
    I know no more than that unfortunately.

Maddeningly slow progress on new starts this year. March and still nothing!

Advertisement